“Goes out of their way to do Gluten Free food for my son.”

Golden Crown Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 69 Restaurants in La Grande
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Their food here is really good. I try different things and I always like it. My son has to eat gluten free and they go way out of their way to make sure his food is gluten free and is still good. LOVE THEM!

Reviewed 24 February 2013

I go to Golden Crown often and every time has been wonderful. The sushi always taste fresh and they have a great specialty roll list. The Chinese is a little different from what I'm used to (which is greasy and probably not fresh). They also have a Japenese menu with bentos, udon, teriyaki, and noodle dishes. The place is usually busy, and make sure to make a reservation for holidays, because the atmosphere is nice and clean.

Reviewed 23 February 2013

Golden Crown Restaurant did some major remodeling a few years back and added a sushi bar. We were a bit skeptical since we've been sushi lovers for decades and have sampled great sushi in many different large cities....but little old La Grande? No way. Well, we were wrong. Their sushi is fresh, tasty and quite innovative; the fact that it's inexpensive is icing on the cake. They also have some great bento box lunches, but be warned...it's a lot of food. I'd share next time. And their egg drop soup is excellent.

1  Thank ORPambi
Reviewed 8 February 2013

The Golden Crown Chinese/Japanese restaurant is a tiny, long, sushi-bar-off-to-the-side joint with pleasing Oriental decor and relaxed atmosphere. It's a great first date stop and a good place just to relax with friends and/or family. It's amazing that a little town like La Grande would have a decent Chinese retaurant AND a stellar pizza joint in New York Richie's Pizza by the Slice. No buffet here, you order off the menu.

We sat down, got our water, then gave our order: sushi, Mongolian chicken, pork fried rice. But we didn't get asked about drinks until we literally stopped our waitress to inquire about available beers, and then she only took half the tables' order of Tsing Tsao (always good). We got miso soup prior to the meal, and we were offered tea service as well. Our food kind of arrived stutteringly, but it was still hot and delicious. The pork fried rice did have pork in it, some onion, a bit of egg, and that's about it. I thought it was a little lean on the fixin's, but the sushi more than made up for chintzy fried rice. Fresh, solid, and with plenty of wasabi, it was some of the better sushi I've had.

It's a decent place in a weird place to find such a decent place. I would go there again, and I'm betting the service will be just fine. You can't really knock the place for one experience of off-service, especially when the food was so good. The website is very basic, hilariously the "directions" portion of the site features Hoboken and Hackensack NJ--not La Grande or Baker, OR. But hey, it's out there, on 1116 Adams Avenue, La Grande, it's next to City Hall and a magic store. There is parking in the rear too. Give it a try!