Kelty Estate Bed and Breakfast
US$100
Comfort Inn & Suites McMinnville(McMinnville)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$91
US$82
US$78
US$103
Best Western Newberg Inn(Newberg)(Great Value!)
US$144
US$126
BestWestern.com
US$94
All reviewswine tourb bthe oregon wine countrynext morningkelty estate
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 September 2012

For the price I thought the Kelty Estate was subpar. For the same price we stayed at another B&B that was so much better. Yes, this is an old house, so I wasn't expecting it to be fancy or anything, but it was like staying at your grandma's house. The room smelled musty, the bed was ancient and uncomfortable, and the room and bathroom weren't very clean. The breakfast was not very good at all - grocery store pastries, sausages and potatoes that tasted like the kind you get on sale at Albertson's or something. The people were nice, but at the rates they are charging there are way better, nicer, more comfortable options.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dave M
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed here two nights and had different rooms each night- the Summer room and the Trillium Room. Both were nicely decorated and had comfortable beds, and they had a very cozy feel to them. The only reason we changed rooms was because someone was already in the room on the bottom floor (Summer room) the first night.

I've stayed in bed and breakfasts before and usually the owner is present most of the time. That's not true here, but it really didn't bother me. Nikki (Nicci? the owner/cook) and Mike (the housekeeping guy) were very helpful answering questions and volunteering information before they left. Just make sure you know how to use the keys to the house and rooms, how to turn on heat or airconditioners,when breakfast will be served, etc BEFORE they leave. I kind of liked having the place to ourselves: more peaceful. If you need a jovial host/hostess to entertain you, book somewhere else.

Our breakfast was delicious- French toast with warm berry compote and bacon, fresh cantelope, muffin, orange juice and coffee. I have no complaints about the food, that's for sure.

We had a very slight complaint- seems a cat had gotten into one of the bedrooms and slept on the bed. They didn't just vacuum the fur balls- they changed the linens, bedspread, everything. So I felt they dealt with the issue beautifully and in a timely fashion. Others who complained about lighting should have notified Nikki. She left a phone number for us should we have any questions or problems.

I felt the house was charming and situated in a beautiful area. The food and service was good. There was an antique mall in an old school directly across the street so if you don't want to drink wine (seems like most people do), there are other activities to keep you occupied in the area.

Room Tip: There's no elevator, so if you have problems with stairs, book the room on the first floor. I felt the room above the carriage house, although larger in size than the other rooms, was a bit dark. There were two small skylights to help get some natural light in, but would preferred the larger windows in the other rooms. I also thought the hardwood floors in the rooms were charming (the two suites are carpeted). The Strawberry Suite's bathroom is outside the room in case that bothers you.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Marsha E
Reviewed 19 May 2012

For five years now, a group of our friends from all over the US converge on Oregon for a few days of wine tasting. We have stayed at Kelty Estates every time. We love the location, the breakfast, and the entire experience. Nicci is amazing. She is extremely helpful and knows all the right wineries to visit and restaurants to eat at! She has personally arranged drivers for us, even at the last minute. I can't believe anyone would complain about the breakfasts, which have always been delicious and plentiful! I have specific food requirements, and even when Nicci forgot, she was more than accommodating and re-cooked an entire breakfast for me! Only once did we have an issue with our room, and the problem was fixed promptly. We didn't spend much time in the house, so I can't comment about lighting, etc. After reading some of the other reviews, I wonder if the small issues the other reviewers had were brought to the owner's attention (ex. Light bulbs not working). I would bet that given the opportunity, the owners would have corrected these things. Yes, the bathrooms are generally small, but even with two girls sharing a room, we've managed with no problem. (I've always stayed in the Trillium room) The limo is an older model (we didn't care about the TV) and the driver is the best! All in all, we were there for the experience, which we all loved.

Room Tip: Strawberry suite has the biggest bath, with a full tub, but is located just outside of the suite in the upstairs hall way, not inside the room. The Summer room is adjacent to the breakfast room/entrance way, so if you want to sleep in, pick another room. My favorite room is the Trillium, but it has the smallest bathroom.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Docsherri
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We stayed here on the Groupon that offered 2 nights' accommodation, breakfasts, and a limo tour of the winelands for $275. For what we had, it was a fair deal, though if we'd paid full price I'd have been hugely disappointed.

We stayed in the attic room, the Klamath Suite. It's billed as the "premiere" room. However, with those expectations, we were disappointed to note it had almost no windows or natural light (just 2 skylights by the door), the carpet was dirty and stained, the furniture was musty, and the wood doorframe around the deadbolt lock was completely torn away, leaving the lock itself rather moot. The bathroom was OK, except for the mold on the shower curtain. It just felt uncared for, and rather like being trapped in an attic, rather than a "premiere suite."

We never met the owners. The hotel manager and cook were nice enough, but for a B&B we'd hoped for a bit more warmth. The breakfasts were good, and cooked to order, though the pastries were rather heavy Costco-style, not homemade.

The limo tour was fun, though the limo is a bit out of the 1980s. The limo driver is a great guy, and I highly recommend his services.

Overall, the Kelty Estate is a nice place, but seems to be raising expectations to its quality and service that it isn't able to meet at its price point.

Room Tip: Don't choose the Klamath Suite. Choose one of the main floor rooms with hardwood floors and lots of light & windows.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank cool_jonez
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Disclaimer: We stayed two nights using a Groupon we purchased. It also included a limo wine tour. I'm basing this review on what it would have normally cost.

Lafayette, OR is a really small town that has been plagued in the distant past with fires which burned down most of the original buildings. What is left are mostly nondescript buildings with a few older surviving structures, such as the Kelty Estate.

Like most older buildings, there is a certain charm that some people find in them. However, I find the layout of the rooms are a bit strange and plumbing often seems like an afterthought. We stayed in the Summer Room on the ground floor. From I what I could tell, it had one of the bigger bathrooms, but was still quite small. It was difficult for two people to be in there at the same time.

Nicki, the owner, was not there when we arrived. Someone else greeted us and showed us to our room. Unfortunately, they didn't explain how the heat worked in our room, so the first night was a bit cold. It seems that the owner is a bit preoccupied with opening a restaurant and her catering business.

Why would I think that? Well, the place was a bit run down. The mattress on the bed must be older than the house. I felt every single squeaky spring in my back and barely slept during our stay. Locks on the doors were difficult to operate. The side door into the house was a challenge to lock and unlock and never did seem to latch completely. The living room was dark; only a couple of lamps actually worked, but barely even put off enough light to read by. The driveway didn't have adequate parking and the huge puddles made it difficult to load and unload luggage. And since the B&B was nearly full, by the time I got up to take a shower, there was no hot water at all. Not a good way to start the day.

The worst part was having the room right next to the dining room. At 2 a.m. a rather large group of drunken women decided to throw a party right outside our room. If the owner was there, I'm sure she would have put a stop to the noise quickly. As it turns out, they didn't disperse finally until I pounded on the adjacent wall. The next morning, nobody took responsibility and we never received an apology. I guess I expected too much that people who were that inconsiderate also would be accountable.

Our limo driver was nice enough and managed to take us to 4 wineries, but somehow completely missed lunch. The limo itself is something straight out of the 80's. It had TV screens that didn't work because it used an old VHS tape player that was broken, and it had a stereo system that had a limited selection of music because FM reception is poor and there were only 2 CDs in the vehicle. Have they heard of DVDs and satellite radio? We had to fiddle with the ventilation to finally get the windows unfogged. On the plus side, there was always plenty of bottled water.

I couldn't finish a review about a B&B without mentioning the breakfast...even if it isn't worth mentioning. Breakfast was a huge meal. That was really the only good thing I could say about it. Three courses: fruit, pastry, and then eggs and potatoes. I call it the Claim Jumper type of meal--huge portions of mediocre food. Fruit was good, I mean, how could you mess that up? Pastries were large sugar bombs. Eggs were pretty bland and the potatoes were burnt. Lots of coffee in thermal carafes that dribbled water all over the table. (They shouldn't soak the carafes in water.) No espesso available. In addition, our server kept serving me before serving all the ladies at the table. Where have table manners gone in our society?

All in all, I'm glad we didn't pay full price because I would have felt cheated. The house has a lot of potential to be a charming and cozy B&B, but if it's not a priority, it will always just be mediocre. I doubt we will return.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms are quieter have smaller bathrooms. The summer room has a larger bathroom but is subject to the noisy dining room and footstep above.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple