“second rate motel”

and 1 more site!
Kelty Estate Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Lafayette B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 January 2013

We always use Bed and Breakfast accommodations when traveling, not only in the US, but also when traveling in Europe, New Zealand and Australia, The homey atmosphere, information and recommendations for dining, etc. provided by the host/hostess is always welcome and interesting. Such was not the case at Kelty Estate Bed and Breakfast. The ammenities are misleading and inaccurate.

The only rewarding and positive aspect of the stay was the wine tour our daughter arranged for my birthday gift thru their website with Linda from Wine and Vine Tours. She was a superb guide, intuitive, knowledgeable and we highly recommend her to anyone. Now, back to the Kelty: the limo was in the shop and she took us in her car.

My husband had arranged a nice birthday get-a-way for me online at The Kelty Estate Bed and Breakfast. Check-in was after 3pm and we arrived at 4pm. We parked our car in the drive and went to the front door. It was unlocked so we entered. No one there, we walked thru the lower area, called up the stairs, checked the kitchen, checked outside. We had our registration copy, so called on our tracphone and a woman answered. I told her we were at the B & B to check in but no one was there. She simply said "I'll call Jim, he's outback." and hung up the phone! We waited, looking around some for information. there was a sofa table in the hall with business cards, flyers for things to do, a few restaurant menus but not much.

Finally we saw a man coming from the driveway area. "Are you with Groupon"? We didn't know what he was talking about. I informed him we were checking in, but he was on the "Groupon" tangent. My husband tried to explain we had reservations and I went to the living room area where I had my phone and the confirmation and took it to them. He looked at it and questioned if we had paid and my husband explained we had done it online with the credit card. Then he asked my husband, "Are you on the wine tour tomorrow." My husband replied that our daughter had set us up for that as a surprise for my birthday, and yes, we were! Jim then left and said he had to call the boss because he didn't know anything about this. My husband was upset as well, not only by the man's attitude, but because my birthday surprise was no longer the surprise he and my daughter had planned.

Jim returned sometime later and said everything was taken care of, At than point my husband got our luggage and took it to our room. I tried to engage Jim in conversation, did he work here? If so, did he get our dietary allergies list we had sent? Oh, he worked here but he no longer cleaned the bathrooms- he was thru cleaning toilets and showers. He asked for my food concerns and I told him the four: walnuts, shellfish, pork and lactose intolerance. No problem, he said, but could I have half and half--the cook put that in the eggs. I must have given him the strangest look. He left and brought our key to the door and the skeleton key for the room. He prepared to leave again and then turned--"do you want your glass of wine?" Well, at that point I was ready for one. He went in the kitchen and came out with two glasses of wine, handed me one, and put the one for my husband on the table. I looked at it, a red wine and asked "what is this wine?" He had turned to leave, and said "I don't know, don't drink the stuff" then must have realized what he had said and went to the kitchen to check. it was a 2011 Yamhill Pinot Noir, I believe. Didn't see the bottle myself. Then, he said " lock up when you leave and when you return. See you in the morning". and he was gone. that was our initial encounter of the utterly bizarre--- but there was much more to come!!.

Our room, the Trillium looked nice on the website picture. The bed was not a queen, however, but a double. and our mini bar consisted of two wine glasses, a corkscrew and two bottles of bottled water. A separate sitting area?? There was a chair by the minibar! It had two drawers which contained a phone book and a pen. We wanted to watch a dvd and the remote had dvd features on it. We looked everywhere for a booklet on the TV, a TV listing, anything. Looked downstairs for a newspaper (there were absolutely no magazines or newspapers of any kind). Finally gave up and just watched TV until dinner time. Thank heaven we had stopped by a Winery on our way into town that gave us some recommendations for a place to eat. When we returned it was still as uninviting. We wondered if there would be other guests.

We went upstairs and noticed how hot it was. Our room was even hotter!! I tried to open the window but it didn't open. We turned on the bathroom fan to draw out some heat as well. That night was horrid. It was impossible to sleep in that heat. I have a water-proof thermometer on my keychain I use when outdoors. I got it out and it registered 92 degrees F in our room!! Yes, it is an accurate thermometer. That is unbearable. Even turning on the air conditioner didn't help enough. We tried to sleep but finally gave up and took turns taking a shower to cool down. (The bathroom is literally six feet long and two one-half maybe three feed wide for a shower, sink and toilet). My husband went down to see if there were any ammenities such as more water, juice and came up with two cups of coffee. We had drained the two bottles of water from our so-called 'mini bar'.

After we dressed, we went downstairs and another couple came down. They had the room next to ours and had the same problem with the heat. We agreed to ask about the heat after breakfast. A three course breakfast --Well, the setting was so sad. A nice table covering, some flowers, maybe a candelabra would have been such an improvement. It had bottles of hot sauces, salt and pepper, four placemats with table service. We all sat down and then came the food: The Orange juice was good, that was considered the first course? The Costco heated muffin, the second course? I asked if the one put in front of me had walnuts in it, he didn't know, but would ask the cook. She didn't think so, it was apple. My husband switched with me just to be safe. After that the third course: eggs topped with spinach, diced bacon and pine nuts with diced herbed potatoes. So much for my breakfast. I picked out all the bacon I could and my husband and I just looked at each other. I went into the kitchen and asked the cook if she got my dietary restrictions. No she had not. I informed her of the four items:walnuts, shellfish, pork and lactose intolerance. She said she would have some vegetarian sausage for the next morning.

We all then asked about the heat problem and Jim said "well, heat goes up", but the guys weren't taking any more of it so Jim took us to the thermostat and told them how to turn the heat down. We also asked about the DVD Player and about an alarm clock. He said there was a DVD Player and went to our room and showed us where it was--in the side of the TV. One problem solved, but oh to have had a manual in the first place would have been wondrous! Never got an alarm clock,

The wine tour that late morning was really fantastic and our guide's recommendations for dinner were also well received. We returned to the Kelty, stored our wine purchases in the closet downstairs at her suggestion. it would be too cold in our car and way too hot for it in our room.

I enjoy reading, but there needs to be reading material and the Encyclopedia Brittanica isn't my choice. the books in the bookcase very limited selection as well, and no magazines or newspapers. Books on wines or local area history usually are standard fare in the B & B's we have been in. Tried to figure out how to turn on the fireplace, gave up. So much for ambience, No nice fire, no bouquets, greenery, candles, nice music, reading material, absolutely nothing. On a cold night in a vintage Bed & Breakfast is that unrealistic? I don't think so!

We turned the heat down that night. At least we were able to sleep, and yes, we were exhausted from no sleep the night before. So much for the romantic get away.

the next morning I decided to get us coffee or some juice. Outside our room is a little alcove--could this be our separate seating area? there was a chair there, but a sign on it said don't sit here. there was a tray for ammenities. It had a basket with some sugar packets, and a rack for holding cups. I thought maybe it would be good to use for carrying the coffee or juice. It was filthy. Bad idea. I went to the kitchen, no one there, but coffee brewing so I took two cups upstairs.

Our breakfast was a repeat of the prior morning with tomato and kalamata olives on the eggs instead of spinach and pine nuts. Same spuds. I did get veggie sausage, however. Two other couples joined us four. We had good conversation and we gave them names of some B & B's we've used.

We checked out at 11 and no one there to check us out!! Big surprise.

Also beware of the entry deck and walkway. The deck is rotten in area around the drainpipe which is dislodged.

Room Tip: Check your room and be sure it actually has all the amenities listed (wi fi, minibar, full bath, qu...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
16  Thank lois p

Reviewed 20 December 2012

Be enjoyed our stay. We stayed 2 nights with a Groupon, that included a wine tour. We stayed in the Klamath Room, which is over the garage. Very private and cozy. Small room, but we did not mind. I liked the comfy robes. As another reviewer mentioned, the deadbolt lock was broken. So don't leave anything too valuable in your room. :-) This really should be fixed. The staff we met were all nice. Breakfast was good and very BIG, which was great before wine tasting. The limo wine tour was enjoyable. The driver was very knowledgeable about wine and took us to 4 small family-owned wineries.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EugeneChristina
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I've stayed at the Kelty Estate twice now and both times were time spent well. Quiet, peaceful and warm. I live in Los Angeles so to get away to a nice old Victorian was amazing. I'd definitely recommend it to all of my friends who want to get away from the city or to friends who are going on an anniversary or even just a bunch of friends to go out there wine tasting. Nicci, the person I spoke with on the phone to book, was extremely well educated in the arts of wine and let me know all the best places to go. There was a winery she recommended that was hidden from everything, tried it out, AMAZING!

Overall a five star-six star if I could.

Thanks Nicci!!! Hope to see you again soon!

Room Tip: Strawberry room is definitely built more towards a larger family, two rooms in one with a Murphy bed...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2012

For the price I thought the Kelty Estate was subpar. For the same price we stayed at another B&B that was so much better. Yes, this is an old house, so I wasn't expecting it to be fancy or anything, but it was like staying at your grandma's house. The room smelled musty, the bed was ancient and uncomfortable, and the room and bathroom weren't very clean. The breakfast was not very good at all - grocery store pastries, sausages and potatoes that tasted like the kind you get on sale at Albertson's or something. The people were nice, but at the rates they are charging there are way better, nicer, more comfortable options.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dave M
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed here two nights and had different rooms each night- the Summer room and the Trillium Room. Both were nicely decorated and had comfortable beds, and they had a very cozy feel to them. The only reason we changed rooms was because someone was already in the room on the bottom floor (Summer room) the first night.

I've stayed in bed and breakfasts before and usually the owner is present most of the time. That's not true here, but it really didn't bother me. Nikki (Nicci? the owner/cook) and Mike (the housekeeping guy) were very helpful answering questions and volunteering information before they left. Just make sure you know how to use the keys to the house and rooms, how to turn on heat or airconditioners,when breakfast will be served, etc BEFORE they leave. I kind of liked having the place to ourselves: more peaceful. If you need a jovial host/hostess to entertain you, book somewhere else.

Our breakfast was delicious- French toast with warm berry compote and bacon, fresh cantelope, muffin, orange juice and coffee. I have no complaints about the food, that's for sure.

We had a very slight complaint- seems a cat had gotten into one of the bedrooms and slept on the bed. They didn't just vacuum the fur balls- they changed the linens, bedspread, everything. So I felt they dealt with the issue beautifully and in a timely fashion. Others who complained about lighting should have notified Nikki. She left a phone number for us should we have any questions or problems.

I felt the house was charming and situated in a beautiful area. The food and service was good. There was an antique mall in an old school directly across the street so if you don't want to drink wine (seems like most people do), there are other activities to keep you occupied in the area.

Room Tip: There's no elevator, so if you have problems with stairs, book the room on the first floor. I f...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Marsha E
Reviewed 19 May 2012

For five years now, a group of our friends from all over the US converge on Oregon for a few days of wine tasting. We have stayed at Kelty Estates every time. We love the location, the breakfast, and the entire experience. Nicci is amazing. She is extremely helpful and knows all the right wineries to visit and restaurants to eat at! She has personally arranged drivers for us, even at the last minute. I can't believe anyone would complain about the breakfasts, which have always been delicious and plentiful! I have specific food requirements, and even when Nicci forgot, she was more than accommodating and re-cooked an entire breakfast for me! Only once did we have an issue with our room, and the problem was fixed promptly. We didn't spend much time in the house, so I can't comment about lighting, etc. After reading some of the other reviews, I wonder if the small issues the other reviewers had were brought to the owner's attention (ex. Light bulbs not working). I would bet that given the opportunity, the owners would have corrected these things. Yes, the bathrooms are generally small, but even with two girls sharing a room, we've managed with no problem. (I've always stayed in the Trillium room) The limo is an older model (we didn't care about the TV) and the driver is the best! All in all, we were there for the experience, which we all loved.

Room Tip: Strawberry suite has the biggest bath, with a full tub, but is located just outside of the suite in...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Docsherri
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We stayed here on the Groupon that offered 2 nights' accommodation, breakfasts, and a limo tour of the winelands for $275. For what we had, it was a fair deal, though if we'd paid full price I'd have been hugely disappointed.

We stayed in the attic room, the Klamath Suite. It's billed as the "premiere" room. However, with those expectations, we were disappointed to note it had almost no windows or natural light (just 2 skylights by the door), the carpet was dirty and stained, the furniture was musty, and the wood doorframe around the deadbolt lock was completely torn away, leaving the lock itself rather moot. The bathroom was OK, except for the mold on the shower curtain. It just felt uncared for, and rather like being trapped in an attic, rather than a "premiere suite."

We never met the owners. The hotel manager and cook were nice enough, but for a B&B we'd hoped for a bit more warmth. The breakfasts were good, and cooked to order, though the pastries were rather heavy Costco-style, not homemade.

The limo tour was fun, though the limo is a bit out of the 1980s. The limo driver is a great guy, and I highly recommend his services.

Overall, the Kelty Estate is a nice place, but seems to be raising expectations to its quality and service that it isn't able to meet at its price point.

Room Tip: Don't choose the Klamath Suite. Choose one of the main floor rooms with hardwood floors and lots...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank cool_jonez

Been to Kelty Estate Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!