“Excellent and nicely located”
Review of Lakeshore Inn

Lakeshore Inn
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lake Oswego
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 June 2011

My wife and I stayed here for two nights while attending a big family wedding. Numerous relatives stayed at the inn also. It's not very enticing from outside, but overlook that and trust that the rooms are excellent in every way. The layout is good, with the bathroom separated from the bedroom by a closet that contains the iron and other supplies. There's a mini-kitchen with dishes, a small refrigerator, coffee maker, and many other useful supplies. The bed is comfortable and the location quiet. Service for us was fine and friendly but unobtrusive. Unless you are hoping for a rural atmosphere, you can't beat the location with restuarants, a fine bakery, and other shops just a very short walk from the inn's front door. You should not be at a loss for things to do in the evening, even if you don't make your way into Portland.

All in all, both of us were thoroughly satisfied.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jackmi

Reviewed 7 June 2011

I've stayed here several times over the last ten years since since I grew up in Lake Oswego, I've always loved this location on the water in the charming village of Lake Oswego. IN THE PAST I admit I did find the rooms to be slightly outdated and had a problem just once with a reservation mix up, but NOW the rooms are updated and are very attractive, stylish and comfortable. The staff were very gracious and helpful. We had no problem with check-in and no problems with anything in the suite. We enjoyed a great evening at a restaurant on the lake just a few steps away and look forward to returning again soon.

Room Tip: rooms on the water provide lovely outdoor seating
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Accompanied my wife to Portland for a conference she had in the city, staying three nights (12-14 May 2011), departing Sunday the 15th. An easy shot from downtown via Hwy 43 to Lake Oswego, or north on the same highway from the 205 loop. We reserved by phone, and we too used a Google coupon that had expired, but since the website didn't have an expiry date the night clerk gave us the coupon rate we expected - a nice touch and I thought very professional. The building is nice, though a bit boxy looking from the outside. Parking looked like it would be a problem (very small property located between busy 43 and Lakewood Bay/Lake Oswego) but we never had an issue so it seems that there is enough for the number of rooms. Free parking. Though it is located on a busy highway, there is a very small office building between the hotel and highway which helps cut down noise, and though we could hear traffic in our room sometimes the rooms seem pretty well insulated so we had no problem with noise from the street and my wife is disturbed by this so if she didn't have a problem you shouldn't either. There IS a building-site directly south of the hotel, so if you are concerned with noise you might request a room away from the south end of the building for the next year or so anyway. Rooms were spacious, with a nice balcony overlooking the lake. Sink, dishes, microwave oven, dish soap/towels all provided for folks wanting to eat in. Bathrooms seemed newly tiled, and though the toilet IS oddly placed in the bathroom as mentioned in another review, I thought it was kind of quirky versus being a problem and didn't mind. Kind of cute, actually. Flat screen TV, free WiFi worked perfectly with good response time. Breakfast was simple, but the pastries were very good and seemed to be bought fresh each morning except Sunday, when I would expect the bakery to be closed. We ate them on our balcony, enjoying the quiet serenity of the lake. Coffee and tea only, no juice, and pastries only but my wife and I thought it was a nice touch and very convenient. While my wife was at the conference I worked in the hotel room/walked around the cute, VERY trendy Lake Oswego town center. Very nice place to spend a quiet day working - the lakeside site helps create a peaceful, tranquil ambience in the heart of the city. Neighbourhood is VERY nice, even upscale. There is an Albertson's just down the way for groceries, with lots of nice shops and restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. Lots of folks jogging around the lake each morning, and along Hwy 43 as well. Rooms were clean and well maintained, towels replaced only when you put them on the floor (we used one set of towels our entire stay). Housekeeping respects "privacy" signs you put on the door. While not luxurious, it's location by the lake, free breakfast, ability to prepare and eat simple meals in your room, and helpful, friendly staff that takes responsibility for the service provided make this an excellent option for folks who want something a little different on a trip to the Portland area. If you are able to use one of their coupons available on the Internet, it would even qualify as a "screaming deal" - excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Request room away from south to avoid construction
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Agcanuck
Reviewed 8 April 2011

Originally, when I booked the hotel the only reviews were from several years go so I was a little concerned. I stayed due to business so I cannot comment on daytime activities/noise, etc.

The other reviews about the construction are accurate. It is difficult getting out of the parking lot and the space is kinda tight. I'm glad my colleague drove as he did fantastic maneuvering. We did not opt to have a lake view since work related.

The room was nice - I had a queen bed with fridge, microwave, etc. All was nice. The bathroom had plenty of room. Plenty of pillows, blankets, etc. Wi Fi was free so I had the opportunity to FaceTime and check emails. TV was flat screen with plenty of channels. Alarm clock, plenty of plug ins, etc. Shampoo/Conditioner/shower are actually full in tub - no small containers.

Cons: rooms are a little noisy in regards to hearing people walk above (I was on 3rd Floor), although my colleague said he did't hear anything. Construction - didn't hear it

Overall, I would stay again. It was close to great shopping and eateries!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Nikki54885
Reviewed 3 April 2011

I have stayed many times in the Portland area to visit my daughter and friends. I usually stay in downtown Portland upscale hotels. The rooms are nice, but pricey, and the parking fees are out of this world.

This March I tried the Lakeshore Inn because my entire family and a few friends came down to attend my daughter's wedding. The price was very reasonable and there was free parking.

The place was a great location for travelling to East Portland, avoiding the downtown area. The Inn is an older hotel, but it had appeared to be recently remodeled. We rented the two-bedroom suite. It was absolutely spotless. Housekeeping was superb and the front desk responded to all of our requests including printing directions to various destinations. There is a lot of traffic in the vicinity during the day, but very quiet at night.

I will definitely consider the Lakeshore Inn next time we are in Portland to visit my daughter and new son-in-law. To the Owner: Give those folks a raise, they deserve it!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank AtomPyrite
Reviewed 18 February 2011

We have stayed in several hotels in Lake Oswego as our daughter attends college nearby. We thought that we would give the Lakeshore Inn a try this visit and sadly to report, we were disappointed.

Pros: Location is giood to downtown Lake Oswego. Once the lake is filled, I am sure that the view from the rooms is nice. The room was clean and I thought the soap/shampoo/conditioner dispensor in the shower was a nice touch...plus the shampoo smelled great!

Cons: At booking, hotel did not honor trip advisor special rate (said it had expired, but the dates listed on trip advisor indicated that it was still in effect). Our bathroom was very small and it was weirdly laid out... meaning that to sit on the toilet, my knees hit the tub (I am 5'8"). I am not sure how my husband & son used the toilet as they are over 6' ( did not ask). Lots of early morning traffic noise coming through/around the door & construction noise started at 7:45 am ( I believe it is the hotel that is building next door). The view from the room is dismal...lots of mud. The "pastries" were stale & hard and only coffee is offered. Not all drink coffee...had to look elase where for breakfast.

Bottom line, there are MUCH nicer places to stay in Lake Oswego.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
westoverinns, Manager at Lakeshore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2011

There was initially some confusion with this reservation because the guest indicated after being quoted a rate that she saw a managers special listed online for $79. This was an error on our part so we did in fact honor our managers special rate of $79 Upon looking at reservation, I found that there were 3 people in room. Initially, I believe the indication was that there was going to be two people occupying room. In looking at guests account the rate was at $79, the guest was also upgraded to a room with two queen beds. Our room rates are based on double occupancy so there is a $10 charge for the third person. We train our desk agents to cover all of this information with guests, especially if it changes the guests rate. We did however honor the managers special and upgraded the room as well.

Reviewed 13 February 2011

We selected the Lakeshore Inn because there did not seem to be other choices in Lake Oswego. With a Trip Advisor special we ended up with a very nice rate and overall were pleased with the hotel. While the hotel is older, recent upgrades offset its age. We stayed in a two-bedroom suite with a full kitchen and living area. The room was large, clean and the bathroom updated.

While the balcony overlooked the lake, the lake is drained and, at the moment, quiet unattractive. The hotel staff indicated refilling is scheduled to begin soon.

The most inconvenient aspect of the hotel, in my opinion, is access and parking. The parking lot is shared with an office building, which reduced the available parking spaces during work hours. Construction adjacent to the hotel makes entry tight between the office building and a temporary fence. It can be a little tricky pulling onto State Street during morning traffic, and quests seeking to head toward Portland must exit right and then turnaround as exit from the hotel is right turn only.

Another thing to be mindful of is the trains. During our stay two trains per day passed the hotel and it literally sounded like they would come through the hotel – the tracks are that close. The train schedule did not help either, as the morning train passed though in the predawn hours.

A real plus was the quality of the dining and shopping within walking distance of the hotel. The hotel’s continental breakfast is limited, so we were thankful for nearby choices. Be sure to stop by the nearby French bakery for pastries. It became our favorite breakfast spot and preferable to the national chain coffee shop down the street from the hotel. A grocery store is within walking distance, so procuring essentials for a stay is easy, too.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland South/Lake Oswego
Phoenix Inn Suites
Phoenix Inn Suites
#4 of 7 in Lake Oswego

Been to Lakeshore Inn? Share your experiences!