“Paper thin walls, and not great customer service.”

Hilton Garden Inn Portland/Lake Oswego
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lake Oswego
Wellington, New Zealand
“Paper thin walls, and not great customer service.”
Reviewed 16 June 2011

We had booked to stay for a week or more as we were relocating to Portland for work. Although the greeting at reception was friendly, there wasn't a great deal of effort to accommodate our request (lodged with the booking some weeks prior) for a quiet room and early check in (just an hour or two before the official 3pm slot). Also, when we called for advice on finding a dry-cleaner, we were directed to use the free internet! We'd already tried this but very few cleaners came up on the search so we hoped for some local input. Finally the customer service representative agreed to call us back with suggestions - but never did!

There was a soccer tournament in town so the hotel was full. Not only was there alot of noise from kids running up and down the hall into the night, but several people were noisy in the room next door and eventually, at around 11pm, we had to ask reception to see if they could do anything (which they did, and the group dispersed).

Unfortunately the noise from rooms next door, and above, continued throughout the night - most disturbingly from their bathrooms!!

We checked out the next day (reception staff showed no real concern) and moved to the Fairfield Inn and Suites, just round the corner. We've been there now for two weeks and can't say enough good things about the staff. Ultra-accommodating and go the extra mile. And the walls aren't quite so thin!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank candsnz
CsmithGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland/Lake Oswego, responded to this review, 17 June 2011
candsnz_11 – Thank you for the feedback. I am sorry to hear that our service was not what you had expected. I take your insight very seriously and I will use your feedback as a training tool for my staff. Thank you again.

Carlos Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We spent last weekend in Oregon (Portland + Salem) so we decided to not choose downtown Portland as hotel prices have already soared up in this late-coming summer. Lake Oswego is not that far away from Portland but quite inexpensive compared with Portland.

HGI Lake Oswego is fairly good: spacious room, clean, safe, new, plus free parking, free Wi-Fi and easy access to I-5 but not noisy at all. It's also close to downtown Lake Oswego so you can easily find everything you want.

However, this time we were offered with smoke rooms which we eventually found we don't really like. I'm sort of okay but my wife got kinda sick after one night stay. If they can give us non-smoke rooms then we would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank KirklandTom
Tom-Redmond – Thanks for the response. I am very sorry that you had to stay in a smoking room. We are currently working on removing all of our smoking rooms. By the end of June we plan to be 99% smoke free in our rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn Lake Oswego.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I am pretty picky, and was happy the room was so clean as well as the hotel. BUT I always pull back the bedding to check for bugs. Well, sitting right on the sheet was a nice bed bug. He was dead, but still there. The manager came up right away and I switched rooms. The windows open from the 3rd floor down, so maybe him came in that way. Not sure. But the other room was very clean and very nice.
The other thing...the cocktail hour is expensive and the person at the bar was not very nice. Take time and go to Oswego Grill across the street! Amazing happy hour. Gourmet Food and drinks for great prices.

All that said...it is a very clean hotel, and the staff could not be nicer....I will stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a room higher then the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Nelq01 – Thank you for taking the time to post a response about our hotel. Upon further review the room did not have any sort of bugs. The object on the sheet must have come from the Laundry. I am happy to hear that the service and experience was good for you. We look forward to your return.

Plesant Prairie, WI
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I've stayed at this hotel numerous times and it usually (although not always) meets the elusive minimum standard I have for hotels: clean and everything works as it should. There isn't much more to say. The rooms are comfortably furnished with free wifi. I can live without a free breakfast. Parking can be tight at times but I will walk a few extra steps to be assured of getting a clean, functional room with few, if any, worries.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
CsmithGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland/Lake Oswego, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
Dear 6530bx4 – Thank you for the response. Our hotel staff takes pride in the cleanliness of our hotel. We are in the process of upgrading the speed of our free internet. Look for that improvement on your next stay.

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Reviewed 12 June 2011

My mom, daughter, and I booked this hotel through Priceline for a great price. I called to ask about upgrading to a room with two queens, and was told I'd need to wait until we checked in unless I was willing to pay a $20 upgrade fee. This was no problem at all, as Priceline doesn't guarantee two beds and I understand the hotel's need to reserve more of those rooms for guests paying full price. When we checked in, a double queen room had just become available and they gave it to us free of charge. The room was perfectly lovely, with high quality furniture and bedding, a nice TV and kitchenette area, and was immaculately clean.
The only problem came upon trying to go to bed and finding the beds hard as a rock. None of us (including my six year old) could sleep well at all... I ended up trying to sleep sitting up in the chair as it was more comfortable than the bed. We had to change our travel plans as we were all sleep deprived and couldn't face a full day of events.
Upon check -out, I told the clerk how uncomfortable the beds were. She said "didn't you try adjusting it?" Apparently the beds are similar to sleep number beds and have knobs somewhere on the side. We had no way of knowing this, however. There definitely needs to be some signage in the room to let us know that we could adjust the beds! The clerk pointed out a small sign in the lobby, but it was easily ignored. Even a word from the night clerk upon check in would have made this a perfect stay. We will be back and will try it again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Dear Shanzanne – Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to hear the front desk was looking to serve you and provide an upgrade. Your feed back regarding check in and the Hilton Garden Inn bed system will be shared with the staff. The Hilton Garden Inn bed is a great system and many our guest stay here for that reason.

Thank you.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 May 2011

I spend a lot of time in hotels and though this hotel doesn't offer fancy frills, it is very comfortable, close to places to eat and the freeway. During my recent stay I was upgraded to a room with a whirlpool and was grateful for the source of relaxation. My only complaint and its small, is the price of the wine offered in the lobby in the evenings is a bit steep.

Room Tip: Very quiet location, no suggestion
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
CsmithGM, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland/Lake Oswego, responded to this review, 3 June 2011
Mdhinder – Thanks for the review. We are always looking for feedback. We are currently looking to offer all local Oregon wines and will make the switch over soon. Look for this on your next stay!

Kitcat22
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Quiet, everything a 3* should be. Far enough off I-5 to be peaceful but close enough to be easy access.

• Stayed May 2011
Grand Hotel At Bridgeport
Phoenix Inn Suites
Phoenix Inn Suites
#3 of 7 in Lake Oswego

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Portland/Lake Oswego? Share your experiences!