“Worth the money”

Ranked #32 of 152 Restaurants in Lake Oswego
Price range: US$1 - US$29
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We ordered 2 pizzas for takeout. When they told me it would be $55, I was a little shocked. However, when we arrived home and opened the boxes we were amazed at the quantity and quality of the toppings. The best quality meats we have ever had on any pizza anywhere.

2  Thank Nancy T
There are newer reviews for Flying Pie Pizzeria

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Want Chicago style pizza in the burbs? Flying Pie is our pizza of choice when we are in the Lake Oswego area.

The whole premise of this restaurant is delicious pizza. They have other offerings to distract you but keep your focus on the pizza. The atmosphere is the pizza aroma. The decor is the view of your pizza as you watch it being prepared. In other words, this isn't a chichi posh place. You are here for the pizza!

With our son home from college, it's not a surprise that he broke his training diet for Flying Pie, not for Mom's cooking! He ordered a Stromboli Combo large pizza for carryout. It has spicy ground sausage, onions, green peppers and onions. I'm getting hungry just typing this! You choose the size of your pizza, the dough (gluten free for addition price) and the thickness of the dough. In choosing the size of the pie, keep in mind that 1 slice at Flying Pie=2-3 slices at popular franchise pizza outlets. You really can't go wrong with any of the choices available to you.

When they ask if you want garlic on the pizza, go ahead. Just be sure your date also has the garlic because it's really strong. There is also a red sauce and an Italian seasoning you can add but we've never tried them.

At lunch time, you can get pizza by the slice. They will customize the slices for you. We have stopped here for lunch and added a 1 trip salad bar. The salad bar has a limited selection but you don't need much with a slice of this pizza. The toppings are piled on. I can't exaggerate how heavy handed the pizza makers are with the toppings. My advice is to order your veggies on the pizza and skip the salad bar, although it is nice to have the salad bar in case someone in your party can resist the whiffs of pizza.

Flying Pie also serves sub sandwiches and calzones. I have seen the calzones and recommend you consume them with your cardiologist on speed dial. I don't know how much they weigh but I'm fairly soon I've seen newborn babies that are smaller than the calzones.

The pizza reheats really well which is good because we usually have for a few meals. Just wrap it well or put it in air tight containers to save. Flying Pie does have beer and wine for those dining in.

My biggest tip for eating at here is to figure out what you like and add Flying Pie's digits to your contacts. Then call ahead so you don't have the agonizing experience of watching others eat their treats while you wait for your pies! (503-675-7377 | FAX 675-7707)

1  Thank nkwins
Reviewed 1 July 2014

If you follow my advice, you'll get the most pizza goodness for your hard-earned money here at Flying Pie. First, choose the extra-thick, focaccia crust. I can already hear you purists out there starting to complain--you guys who don't believe it's real pizza unless you can fold the slice in half, slip it into the side pocket of your Guardian Angels windbreaker, to be eaten on the subway later. Well, stifle yourselves. This is really good crust. I hesitate to call it Chicago style, as it's really its own thing.
Next, get some extra sauce on that thing. It's good stuff too, and it don't cost ya nothin'.
Finally, have them add garlic and Italian herbs and spices. They'll know what you're talking about.
Do all this, and you've got a pizza that you'll love and of which, will be hard-pressed to eat more than two slices. I go there solo, and the medium feeds me for 3 full meals. It works out to about $5.33 a meal. That's a deal!

1  Thank Brian C
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Hard to beat this pizza anywhere! The have the best gluten free pizza also and I wish they would offer it in larger size. The pizza is loaded with fresh toppings and their sausage is deliciously spicy!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Great pizza in a fun, casual environment. The ground sausage on the pizza is especially good! We came in for lunch on the last day of a recent business trip and enjoyed it. The salad bar was a little bit lacking, but the pizza more than made up for it. We had fun listening to the guy on the microphone call out to go orders in a creepy/funny voice. It was like lunch and a show.