“Definitely Fun Oriented”
Review of Players - CLOSED

Players
More attraction details
Owner description: Get Your Game On! 12 Lane Strike Bowling Lounge, Pinz Grille, full service, mouth-watering menu! Cues Sports Bar, watch the game & quench your thirst with a frosty mug. Check out primetime hours for hot deals. 8 billiards tables, shuffleboard, under 21 lounge - wall to wall plasmas. Got Mad Skills? Test 'em in our video arcade and win cool prizes -- Wanna party? 5 beautiful private party rooms. Players is the Ultimate Playground.
Beaverton
“Definitely Fun Oriented”
Reviewed 7 July 2008

Tonight was my second time at Players. About a month ago my office had an afternoon party of about 25 people. A pleasant time that day led me to plan to bring my family for the Sunday Night Family Bowling Special. Frankly, having read some of the other reviews I questioned how it would be but since it had turned out well for my office I decided to do it with the family. I'm glad I did, because we had a great time. Our family of five bowled for two hours, enjoyed the large size pizza and pop with refills for under $70 total. The staff was definitely customer service oriented. This place is especially geared toward families, couples and groups looking for fun rather than serious bowling. There are several other activities and private rooms available but I haven't tried those.

Beaverton, OR
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“AVOID AT ALL COSTS”
Reviewed 5 May 2008

It seems like Players is asking a lot of people that have left reviews to please give them another chance. I say don't bother, it's a waste of your time because if you plan to go there they will probably kick you out early.

We checked the website prior to going and noted that the winter hours said that they closed at 10pm on Sunday. We arrived at Players at approximately 7:30 thinking we had enough time to enjoy our meal and then play some games. Our service was slow, hotwings overcooked & philly cheesesteak dry. Not to mention the server couldn't answer simple questions about the menu like "Are the hotwings a mix of wings and drums, or are they all wings or all drums?". By the time we finished eating and payed our tab it was about 8:45 so we thought we at least still had time to play a few games.

We went to go play a game that we saw on the way in that looked interesting, but when we got over there it was off. It was obvious the power was turned off since that entire section had the lights off and the game next to it was off as well, but the staff informed us it "lost its signal and wasn't working". I did notice other games that weren't working but I know for a fact that one was when we got there. We went to play some other games and at 9:15pm one of my friends decided to purchase another card to play more games with. When she arrived at the counter, the employee was sitting on it texting on her phone. When asked about the card she said "we're closed". She went to the front door to look at the hours, which clearly posted the closing time of 10:00pm on Sunday under Winter Hours. Confused, she approached the counter (with the employee still sitting on the couter and texting) and asked for some clarification. The employee stated 9pm was the closing time and 10pm was the summer hours (the sign at the front door posts summer hours at 11pm). This employee was rude, so we informed her we would be writing corporate. She laughed and said there is no corporate as if she could get away with anything. It's nice to see they care about the public's perception! The manager informed us they closed early because it was "dead". We had no warning, they simply shut games off and kicked us out.

I don't know how Players expects to have any business when they conduct themselves in this manner. To Players we may have appeared only as a group of 5 people; what they should have seen was a group of 5 potential repeat customers with lots of friends and possible referals.

I wish I could give them ZERO STARS! Now I will just go to Chuck E. Cheese's because there food is better and all the kids there haven't developed attitudes like the employees of Players.

2 Thank Marilyn58
Lake Oswego, OR
“My local hangout”
Reviewed 18 April 2008

Player's has been my local Friday night hang out for the past six months. All of the servers are young and vibrant, the front desk takes care of us and they make my friends and I extremely comfortable while visiting their establishment. The owner is kind and looks out for the best interest of our friends. She actually went as far as to drive one of our friends home (she had too much to drink). All of us are extremely greatful for the service that has been shown to us over the time we have been going there.

Portland, OR
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Very Bad experience - They do not disclose their "fine print"”
Reviewed 7 April 2008

My family of 4 met some friends, a family of 5 for what was supposed to be a fun night of bowling & dinner. We saw the advertisement on the Players Web site for "Family Night" discount on Sundays. I called ahead of time & was told that this special ran ALL DAY. We arrived at 4pm ready to bowl, then have dinner. We were told that the special did not start until 5pm. This is not on any of the signage inside the establishment nor on the web site. So we decided to eat first & take advantage of the 2nd part of the Family Night discount of kids meals for $2.95. Our service was very very slow in the restaurant. Food was average. Took very long to get our food from the kitchen. Then it took forever to get our check. Once we did, we noted to the server that we were not charged the discounted price for our kids meals (5 in all). She proceeded to inform us that the kids discount doesn't start until 6pm! where is this information? NO WHERE. The server took my check & cash & i never saw her again - she did not change my ticket to reflect the discount & pocketed my change giving herself about a 40% tip. Because that took so long, we were informed by the desk staff that they couldn't accommodate 2 lanes side by side. ended up moving our lanes twice and we only had 1 lane available for 9 of us. This rendered it impossible for the two families to bowl together at the same time - the purpose of the visit in the first place.
The OWNER spoke to us and insinuated it was our fault for being late to the lanes & they did nothing wrong & that they had full disclosure on the web site. I requested money back on the lane that we couldn't even use which only seemed fair since we were unable to use the lane& my money was practically thrown at me.
Management did not seem to listen or care and the Owner was rude. Interesting that I see other similar reviews on this site.
Players has lost out big - between these two families, we have 5 small children and both my husband & friend are HR Directors at large companies. So Players is losing out on multiple birthday parties not to mention Corporate Parties for companies that have 300-500 people. YOUR LOSS PLAYERS! Big Al's...here we come.

1 Thank pamelaj0906
Sherwood, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Could be ALOT better.”
Reviewed 13 January 2008

My family and a few friends went to do some bowling, arcading and lite snacks. Food was in fact good, with large portions and the server was quick and friendly. The set up is cool looking with big screens, nice (if a bit worn in) furniture and pretty lights. Over all price for food and drinks was average.

However.... we couldn't get an extra hour of bowling because they only do reservations for the "Parties" and had reserved the lanes we were on immediately after our first hour. I had tried calling ahead and they also won't let you pay for 2 hours when you get there. 1 hour at a time only.

Half the games in the arcade weren't working. The ones that did work either didn't spit out tickets or you couldn't get them into 2 player mode. Of the kids behind the counter helping in the arcade, one was very rude going so far as to tell a small girl "too bad, guess you shouldn't use that machine then", the other was really nice and refunded cards/tokens or took the kids word for it and compensated for the tickets. So its a toss up there. The pool tables and shuffle board upstairs in the adult lounge are expensive. $8 an hour is what we got charged for one table, and the bar was closing down at 7:00 on a Sunday evening.

Overall, it has the potential to be a decent place, and may have been when it first opened, but as it stands now, its not worth the money. An "upscale chuck-e-cheese" is not where I'd spend my time and money. Too rude, too expensive for the experience, and too many things broken or bad policy.

5 Thank bluegyrrl
PlayersPDX, Public Relations Manager at Players, responded to this review, 20 February 2008
We are so sorry to hear about your disappointment in your visit to Players.

Unfortunately due to the overwhelming demand for our bowling lanes we are unable to reserve lanes, and we have to limit the bowling to one hour to give everyone a chance to bowl. We realize it can be an inconvenience for some—but on the flip side, so is a 3-4 hour wait time to bowl.

We truly do our best to be sure our customers have a great experience, please come back again and give us another chance to make it right.