“We love the Ester Lee!”

Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Lincoln City
Troutdale, Oregon
“We love the Ester Lee!”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

The Ester Lee is the only motel I know that has its own fan-club-in-the-making. I have never known a motel with such an avid fan base! There is a core group of people – and a pretty big group at that -- that returns to the Ester Lee (and ONLY the Ester Lee, in spite of a plethora of choices!) year after year.

And as a long-standing member of this group, who admits that she would be devastated if the Ester Lee weren't there, I can’t imagine why anyone visiting the Oregon Coast would stay anywhere else. And before you read any of these other reviews, ask yourself just WHY are you going to the coast?

I am baffled – and a little saddened – at the people who bemoan “weak wifi signals” and “older furniture.” Seriously?? When the Ester Lee offers a view to die for?! And at a price practically half of what some other places charge! Really people – if you haven’t stayed at the Ester Lee, you don’t know what you’re missing. The views – seen from HUGE windows that practically run the length of the rooms – are spectacular!

I've admitted I would be devastated if the Ester Lee were no longer there. How many places can you say that about? She is comfort. And blissful peace. Omigosh, such peace… You can pour that glass of wine (I bring cheap champagne and toast that magnificent ocean) and just sit and stare. All the basics are there to cook your own meals – but the Ester Lee is so well-located that great take-out is available, too.

I’ll admit to a certain bias for the cottages. Yes, I have dogs. But a lot of people who don’t have dogs feel as I do about the cottages, and book a cottage room for the nostalgia of it all. Because, you see, there is something TIMELESS about that place. That’s the beauty of it. You go there to get away – don’t you? To “DE-stress”?

And maybe this is the Ester Lee’s secret. Maybe you become a kid again, in a way. Life is no longer complicated. (The adult world of demands and obligations is such a noisy place). You get to play! And explore! And dream…

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Arlene W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Milwaukie, Oregon
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The rooms are clean at a good price. Old but everything you need to see the beach. Wonderful views from the rooms. We love to stay here and do it at least two times a winter. You can park near the room even if you are on the top floor. The Wifi is weak but I could always surf the web. The staff people are very nice and accommodating. Not good at all for walking to the beach. You will need to drive unless you want to try the very very steep hill. Fireplace and waves! You can even cook your own meals.

Room Tip: check on the website and you can see the room and the view it has.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Larry M
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The Ester Lee is not a fancy five star hotel, it's a fun and funky lovely beach place. The cottages are all wonderful, every one I've ever stayed in has a great old fashioned tiled bathroom. Not fancy but generally well maintained. I've stayed in most of the cottages over the years and I have my favorites, they look like they may have been apartments long ago. Many have fun built ins and all have enormous windows looking out over the ocean. I LOVE THE VIEW!
They are incredibly DOG FRIENDLY with a well maintained bathroom area for pets.
The places are comfortable with decent furniture. They have replaced al of the large arm chairs in the last year from what I can tell.
They have kitchens with full fridges, stoves and microwaves. They are all minimally stocked with beach house quality items (nope this is not an upscale condo- I bring my own blender) but in general have everything you need.
It's an easy walk down to the beach, and personally I much prefer being up on the hill watching the ocean.
They have now gone all nonsmoking, which I appreciate, as I can now stay in the rooms with the wood fireplaces. I love building a fire, and where else do they have a stocked woodshed with free access? All the rest of the rooms have gas fireplaces.
Because I have a dog I have only stayed in the hotel once, but I've put my son up in a hotel room, while I stay in the cottages. They are basic with a nice view.
The only reason I don't give EL all five starts is the beds are not that great, and most certainly are not those wonderful five star hotel beds, but I do. It have the best back and I can survive a long weekend sleeping on them.
Someone else stated their room was smelly, I agree that sometimes when I first get in, not all rooms smell great, but I've never been I. One with a window that doesn't open, and. After airing them out a bit they are always fine. I'd prefer that over the smelly perfumes many oh her places use to mask the odors. The sound of the ocean and the beautiful view make this my favorite place to spend a weekend, especially in the winter where you can safely watch the storms and take a quick beach walk when the weather clears.
And the desk staff are always friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Louise R
Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The room was completely smelly overall. The furniture seemed dirty and smelled bad. The kitchen furnishings were awful. The bed was bad. Wifi internet didn't work at all. Wifi didn't even work in the lobby. Pretty sure the windows wouldn't open to let the smell out. The whole thing should be bulldozed. The ladies in the lobby were nice enough, but jeez they should work in a decent hotel.

Room Tip: Don't go there; it's awful.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rick F
Canby, Oregon
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Our family LOVES to go to the Ester Lee. I love sitting beside the fireplace, gazing out at the ocean, smelling the salty air, and falling asleep with the sound of the waves lapping upon the shore. The staff at the Ester Lee is caring, kind, and so accommodating. It is the perfect place for a cozy, affordable getaway. In the line of work we do, my husband and I need a place we can retreat to, to be recharged again. We have come time and time again, to the Ester Lee. And we will continue. It's like our very own, personal retreat center. LOVE!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lindsey L
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The view is unbelievable. The staff is very accommodating. Having a kitchenette is handy, even if you don't want to cook a meal. Microwave popcorn and morning coffee is very handy. Being right on the beach, we love to sit in our room - watch the waves, read, and relax. You can't beat the location either. Lastly, it has a great location - close to the outlet stores as well as the Taft district of Lincoln City with Eleanor's Undertow.

Room Tip: Rooms with views either north or south along with west are the best. Examples: 111, 211, 102, 202...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lynn B
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Personally I love the Estero Lee! There is just a charm in laying on your bed and watching the ocean view from Room 210! It is magic. We once booked a cabin but the smell of gas was overwhelming. The staff immediately changed our room even though we paid the difference it was still OK cause I got my favorite room. The decor is in need of a make over big time! The kitchenette is always stocked with what we need to cook our food. We always come back to a clean made up room with loads of towels. Like most places they will not move your belongings off the bed so do that before you leave. Toss your used towels on the floor and they will be promptly replaced. I wish they could clean the build up off the windows to make storm watching awesome but what can ya do with a cliff beneath you. If you want something fancy head south to the Inn at Spanish Head however if funky is your cup of tea come on in and pull up a chair the view rocks!

• Stayed February 2013