“Not What We Expected”

Ranked #28 of 36 Hotels in Lincoln City
Hood River, Oregon
“Not What We Expected”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

This hotel was not what we expected from our online booking. There is no longer a pool at this hotel, the hot tub room is locked and you have to get a key from the front desk--which no one is really around for... Upon arrival we were told that our rooms a/c was out but they had a regular box fan we could use. Considering it was going to be in the upper 80's all weekend--we weren't excited about this. We asked to be switched to a new room but they said they place was booked. Yet, the vacancy sign was on...and later that night while scoping out the movies they rented out for $4 each we saw a walk-in guest. Most places have a book in the room that tells you about cool things to do in the area, restaurant suggestion, perhaps a tv channel guide and hours of breakfast...we were bummed the room didn't have this. Especially for being a tourist town.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank E F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

I got this room for a very low price ($46 a night). I must have gotten one of the older rooms, however, because the room was long past its prime. It was a little scary. The mattress and box spring were a frightening shade of orange-grey. The bed looked like it was caved in, and the bedspread was filthy. When I pulled it off the bed there was a large black insect leg stuck to it. There were also hairs on my sheets...both head hair and unmentionable hair. When I sat at the table to eat, my sleeves kept sticking to the table so I took a washcloth and wiped the table...the washcloth came away filthy. So I just cleaned the room myself.
As for amenities, the room had a fridge and microwave, tiny coffee pot, and a nice TV. The room even had an ironing board and iron, and a hair dryer. The bathroom was very clean even tho the sink and tub were cracked, chipped, and stained. The bed was surprisingly comfortable and I enjoyed the comforter between two flat sheets. There were three pillows--plenty for me. The room was quite spacious and I liked that the windows could open.
The pipes were loud thru the walls and there was an awful groaning in my room whenever my neighbor ran the water. But it's an older hotel; that's what ear plugs are for.
The front desk staff were helpful and courteous, as were the cleaning staff. I'm mystified as to why my room was so dirty. But other than the cleanliness issue, everything else was good. At this point I'm not sure if I would stay there again. I'd want to check the room for cleanliness first.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 210
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Fuerth, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

A very quiet place, but located close to US101.
We were travelling US101 from Canada to San Francisco and stayed one night in Lincoln.

the hotel itself has already serviced for some years but is still in rather good shape.
a big plus is the indoor jarcuzzi and sauna - you just have to make sure that the sauna is turned on early enough to enjoy the heat.

the continental breakfast is rather limited (no yoghurt, oatmeal, ...) but was okay for the total price we paid.

we had a very friendly and attentive lady at the reception when we arrived who helped us where needed and also took care that everything (including the breakfast room) remained nice, clean and tidy. she also made waffles and tea for her guests.

Room Tip: rooms to the parking lot on the backside are very quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KoMartinP
Canby, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

First of all, when we arrived, it seemed like all the windows in the building were open. I guess they were airing the place out. Fresh air is good but it was about 40 degrees outside. Once in the room, I immediately closed the window and turned on the heat. I checked out the bathroom and noticed there was only one towel, so I went to the front desk to ask for more. The lady at the desk took me down the hall where she handed me 1 towel. I told her I would need more than that because I wrap my hair in one and my husband might like a dry one for himself. Then she handed me another and said "so now you have four?" I corrected her because 1 + 2 = 3 last time I checked and I didn't want to get accused of stealing a towel. We then went out for the evening, returning fairly late, I got ready for bed. It was then that I noticed there was no comforter on the bed. At this hour, I didn't want to go back to the front desk in my nightshirt to ask for a blanket. So we turned up the heat again. This dried up my sinuses, I cannot sleep with heat blowing directly on me. Plus the bed was very uncomfortable. When I took a shower, it was also disappointing as I prefer hot water to luke warm. There was only enough coffee in the room to make one cup. So we decided with the steady flow of let downs to skip the free breakfast and go out for a nice freshly cooked meal. We vow to never stay at this hotel again.

4 Thank Chris F
ABIlincolncity, General Manager at America's Best Inn & Suites Lincoln City, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
We are so sorry you only had one towel in your room, we normally have two towel sets in each of our single bed rooms and three sets in the two queens rooms. Now unless you mentioned that your room only had one set (which you did not) to the woman you spoke with why would she think you only had 1+2 towels. She believed you had 2+2 towels which = 4 last time I checked and no one was accused of stealing anything. We are also sorry that you felt the bed was uncomfortable. The next morning your husband mentioned that you could find the comforter I expained to him that we use duvets and triple sheet our beds, this means the duvet is folded into two flat sheets on top of the fitted sheet. Your husband got a laugh out of this but I guest he didn't explain this to you. Perhaps calling the front desk instead of going to the front desk in your night shirt may have saved you some grief. We received no complaints about not having hot water from any guests (including youself) while you stayed with us and most of your issues were never brought to the hotels attention, so the hotel could not attempt to find a resalution.

Travellers are raving about these Lincoln City hotels

Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

I stayed here last night for a quick weekend getaway at the coast. I made a reservation based solely on the price and this hotel offered a great deal. I was very pleased upon arrival, our room was very clean and spacious. We had amenities not found at other hotels like a refrigerator and a microwave in the room. The nicest feature was that the whole building had a water filtration system so we had filtered drinking water available in our room as well.

The front desk attendants were very courteous and kind. I did not take a look at the continental breakfast, but I would definitely stay here again and/or recommend this for anyone who is looking for a good price!

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

The rooms are good- clean, well laid out, decent bed, and good facilities (including microwave, iron & board, filtered water in bathroom...). Rooms have dvd players, which is weird but useful I guess.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

We were not planning on staying here, but we had a terrible experience at another property in town. This was our closest option. We were very concerned with the price being so low. $59.00 + taxes. The room was clean, smelled fresh, breakfast was good, hot tub was clean and the staff was very friendly. My only big complaint would be that the bed was too hard...maybe get a mattress topper or something?

Thanks for helping us to salvage our trip!

Room Tip: The $29.00 rooms are very old, so ask for one in the newer section. They are not that much more.