“My Aching Back!”

Shearwater Inn
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Lincoln City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 January 2010

Although the hotel, lobby and social areas are nicely appointed, the rooms do not warrant the prices charged. My wife and I travel many times yearly and we have seldom if ever encountered a worse bed. The double bed, with fine linens to be fair, consisted of a wire frame mattress thinly covered by cotton padding. We are not large people (300 lbs combined weight) but we awoke both mornings miserable from a tortured night sleep, trying to get comfortable on this medieval torture device! My wife thinks every room comes with a jetted tub, so that you can try to soak away your miserable backs, shoulders and hips. If you advertise yourself as a "luxury" hotel, shouldn't that include a decent bed? Advice: stay elsewhere for less and get some real rest.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SwirlPortland_Oregon
CindiTaylor, General Manager at Shearwater Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2010

The value of a guest's comments on their experience is invaluable!! And so very much appreciated. Thank you!!! After receiving the Comment Card left behind, I checked the bed myself and sure enough, not up to our standards. The bed has been replaced with the Top of the Line Serta (not available at the retail level). These are the mattresses used throughout the property. We constantly purchase new furniture as necessary. My parents built the hotel and maintain the philosophy that if you need it, get it. And, while I attempt to spend a night in each of our guest rooms myself, it isn't always accomplished. THANK YOU for your comments and for your help in making certain that we remain Lincoln City's luxury hotel. Most Sincerely, Cindi

Reviewed 7 October 2009

My wife and I stayed here for one night and found our room to be very relaxing! The bed was so comfortable. It faced the balcony and it was so nice to have our sliding door open to hear the ocean, as well as have our fireplace going. My wife was so relaxed so slept for 10 hours! The continental breakfast delivered to your room was a very nice touch! They also have a wine social in the evenings which we missed but when we arrived the host graciously offered us a few glasses of wine upon our arrival. It was very sweet! I would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2009

This is a lovely, pet friendly hotel. I was especially impressed at the welcome we, and our pet, received upon check-in and during the entire stay. The staff was so personable and accommodating, the room was very nice,comfortable and clean. The building was well constructed and we heard very little of our neighbors. The only drawback is the location.....although there is a wonderful ocean view, the nearby properties are very close and at night there was much noise from the beach......sporadic fireworks (sounded like gunshots) every night. Still, this is a place that stands out......feels more like a B&B than a hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2008

We found this hotel based on Tripadvisor recommendation and were not disappointed. The staff was marvelous and went over and above in making us feel comfortable. The room as very comfortable and homey. I would highly recommend this hotel to any traveler.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 27 July 2008

My husband and I stayed here on our first trip to the coast for 2 nights and would defintely recommend this hotel to others. The turn down service, robes and slippers were a nice touch that you would only expect from a more upscale hotel. The room was clean and spacious with a fireplace and even though we were only on the 2nd floor, we still had a view of the ocean. When we asked for a recommenation on a good restaurant, several options were given to us and they made the reservation for us as well. They also have a binder with menus of many restaurants in town to help you decide. This is a great little hotel!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 23 June 2008

Got a great rate $130 midweek for a $225 room. Family owned so they can deal. Children under 12 not allowed. No pool or work out room.

Hotel very nice and very clean. Room was a bit small - only a queen bed. No refrigerator or microwave. Good ocean view from upper floors (3 to 5). Turn down service, robes, and slippers. Nightly wine reception in lobby. I think they are trying to be upscale and are succeeding somewhat. Bed was very noisy - creaked whenever you turned over - made sleeping difficult. TV was not good as some channels (HBO for example) were very snowy - desk clerk said that's just the way they are in the hotel. I would think this was unacceptable for a hotel. Breakfast is delivered to your room but is pretty sparse and only three options. Room was quiet but the hotel was very empty so can't say how it will be when busy. No air conditioning in rooms so mid summer could be a problem.

I would probably stay there again if I got a good rate. The staff was exceptionally courteous and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2008

Odysius Hotel, Lincoln City

We loved our stay at the Odysius in Lincoln City!!! They pamper you with ocean view rooms (although you do see a parking lot, the run down hotel next door, and the roof of a restaurant) and several other special amenities for a small boutique hotel. We got a room w/ balcony for $195. They have an early evening social hour with complimentary wine and hor'd'euvres, and they bring you breakfast in bed (also included in the room price). The staff were so nice to us (and not snobby), and really made it a relaxing stay.

We met some guests at the social hour that normally stay at other places across the street, and they said the prices had gone up plenty at the other places to be comparable to the Odysius...yet Odysius has so many more niceties. This hotel was definitely a worthwhile treat! Highly recommend

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple