“Great Weekend Escape”

Pelican Shores Inn
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Lincoln City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had a wonderful stay for our anniversary. The romance package was a nice touch. We were right next to the stairs to the beach and had our own patio to enjoy the sun. It might not be as private on very busy weekends but we stayed a Friday night, so no problems with noise. It is so close to everything that we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in a king room. There are narrow steps down to the rooms, so those with mobility problems...
2  Thank pacarancher
Write a ReviewReviews (1,182)

Reviewed 29 May 2014

First off, this review was solicited by Pelican Shores, after our two night stay. This review is in response to that. It's pretty detailed. I'm not an easy traveler nor do I like to stay in hotels so I grade hard. However, overall this hotel room was a reasonable value. We stayed in a two room suite with fireplace for $109/night.

Things I loved:
1. When we walked in, we had an absolutely spectacular & stunning view of the ocean from the very large sitting room window. You could open a portion of the window for the breeze as well as hear the ocean. We have paid a lot more for an ocean view room which didn't have a a whole lot better view than what we had here. Since we go to the coast primarily to be near the ocean, to see it, hear it, access it, this benefit ranked very high.
2. Access to the coast was very close and easy! Another great plus.
3. The people at the front desk were always pleasant, helpful, and enjoyable to work with and were very nice making various recommendations.
4. The value of the cost for the room to the size of room and it's amenities was very good and it was very clean!
5. The fireplace cranked out a lot of heat quickly which was so nice the morning a storm came in.

What would make me reconsider staying again:
1. The noise created by water running through the pipes at night is terrifying, waking me up in the middle of night as I tried to figure out what the loud noise was. Additionally the noise of slamming doors of neighboring rooms was also jarring.
2. I didn't love the bed since it felt as though it slanted down towards the end of the bed. In other words it didn't feel even.
3. The bathroom door was about 3-4 feet from the hotel room door. This was somewhat disconcerting. And the bathroom was small with minimal sink space.
4. No air conditioning. On the coast, you likely don't need air, however, there were times the room was uncomfortably warm if you closed the room up. We learned to leave the window, near the ocean, open when we left.
5. We wake up at 5, even on vacation. The continental breakfast was unavailable until 8am. We never took advantage of this benefit since it wasn't convenient to us.

The good:
Since we had the two room suite we quite liked the sitting space, tv, small dining table and kitchenette separate from the sleeping room. For an additional $20 we liked all the space.
The not so good:
The sofa was hard & uncomfortable. The dining chairs were minimally cushioned and uncomfortable.
The tv remote was slow to respond.

So, would I recommend it? It would depend on what your expectations are for your hotel room. Since ocean view, access, cleanliness and value rank pretty high to me, I would give the odds at 78% that I'd stay here again.

6  Thank SparklingJoys
westoverinns, Owner at Pelican Shores Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your comments. We are very sorry that some aspects of our property weren't to your satisfaction. This fall we are remodeling so each room will have a new bed and additional soundproofing. We hope that you will stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I'm usually a pretty difficult customer to deal with but in this case I kept calm and knew I'm staying during a busy holiday weekend. There were some minor issues and all were quickly resolved by hotel staff. This by far is the best customer service I've had. The staff here were all on top of things when I needed something done. They made sure I was comfortable and I was happy.

Room Tip: Rooms are base of preference. I needed a room with two beds. My friends got a room with 1 bed and a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah V
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed three nights in a room with fireplace. We will probably stay here every time from now onwards. It was perfectly located on the beach and close to highway 101 for easy access to restaurants and groceries. A few short steps led down to a clean sandy beach from the hotel ground floor. The view from the third floor room was amazing. I am withholding the extra star for the lack of room cleanup one day and the late breakfast start time of 8-10 am. Overall, we loved the view from our room and the beach was very accessible. It is very economically priced based on location and amenities they offer. We were very satisfied with our stay!

Room Tip: Any room on the third floor is awesome. Be warned they don't have an elevator so not good if you...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Champak C
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We have stayed at this property 4 times and we love it, great staff, spotless rooms
and easy to get to the beach. We always take a room on the ground floor some even have patios
Can't go wrong at this hotel

Room Tip: Get the ocean view rooms even if the weather is bad you can sit in the window and drink your wine
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We had the king suite with an oceanfront patio which was amazing and very good value. There are stairs that lead right down to the beach where you can walk for miles. Beautiful location. We just stayed here overnight so didn't get a chance to explore much of Lincoln City but definitely would stay here again when next in the area. Front desk staff were very helpful and friendly. Excellent stay.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Nessiefer
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Booked room online. There was a mix up and they called us and apologized because they would have to move us to a different room the second night. When we got there to our room they had left a card , chocolate's and sparkling cider and said our second night would be free. Super nice staff. Nice rooms, and a beautiful view from both rooms. Will most definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple