“Location Location Location, but hire some friendly people will ya??”

D Sands Condominium Motel
Reviewed 19 September 2008

We were planning an Oregon Coast get-away to celebrate an anniversary and while we had a room booked at a special B&B for Mon & Tues, we were able to get away a day early and decided to book a night here at D'Sands for Sunday.

Since Sunday was our actual anniversary, I phoned to ask what room they would recommend for the special occassion. The representative was very short with me, as if she couldn't be bothered, telling me she can not make that decision for me and to "just pick one". If I hadn't stayed here once before and known what a nice location the Motel has I probably would have just hung up and found another place. She sure knew how to ruin a mood. I don't know why people have to be that way.

The Motel sits right on the beach with a BEAUTIFUL view! The location is what makes this place, no doubt about it. We booked a King fireplace unit on the 2nd floor. I "just picked" that floor since there is no elevator here and you have to drag all your belongings up/down the flights of stairs and I thought it would be less trouble for a one night stay. We didn't want a ground floor unit, we like to keep the patio door open so the ocean can lull us to sleep (There is a Queen sized Murphy bed in the living room right next to the balcony) The gas fireplace keeps you warm (at least for a while, it's on a timer)

When you walk in you immediately notice the very dated & cheap decor but even so, both times we've stayed the rooms have been very clean. There is a kitchenette with a fridge, coffee pot and all the essentials you'd need to make all your meals here if you wanted. We just bought a take and bake pizza and the oven cooked it up just right. There's a king bedroom towards the front of the unit, facing the main road with a parking lot view. We tried to leave the window open for fresh air, but between the street noise and the other guests, it was hard to sleep and we ended up closing it.

The bathroom is small but served it's purpose. There was a small travel sized hair dryer as well as starter suppiles of shampoo & conditioners, etc.

All & all, we had an enjoyable stay. It's certainly not luxurious, but you aren't paying luxury pricing. Beach lodging can be so expensive, but, we only paid about 100.00 bucks with a discount given in some school fundraiser coupon book. (Which we were rudely told if we didn't show the coupon @ check in, they would bump us to full rate, as if she didn't believe we had one) For the size,cleanliness, kitchen, and MOST of ALL, the excellent location directly on the beach & VIEW, it was worth the $ for sure.

I'm not sure what's up with the staff here, but there is a little thing called Customer Service. & D'sands isn't the only place with a view here in Lincoln City, so I will look into a new place to try for our next trip-- If I don't find it at least I know I can stay here and see the gorgeous ocean, in a clean room for a decent price.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wish2travelnow

Reviewed 18 September 2008

We have been staying at the D-Sands for several years - going two or three times a year and staying from 7 to 10 days.I think this qualifies me to comment on the establishment and it's people.

First and formost, the employees are absolutly fabulous! The people at the desk are always helpfull, courtious and friendly. This goes for everyone of them - they all go that extra mile. But I have to single out one that always "makes my day" - her name is Angela - and if you ever visit the D-sands she will make yours too. Her smile is infectiousand she backs that up with a caring personallity.

The Housekeeping and Maintanance people are excellent - they work around your needs and your time, They have not ever pushed - so refreshing from other places I have stayed - where it was a "now or never" time schedule. And when we have needed maintanence for one thing or another, they have always been at our door within minuts. Who could ask for more.

As for the establishment it's self - if you are looking for glitz and glamour, go to one of those over priced "one size fits all" establishments. But if you are looking for a clean, comfortable, well furnished place to stay (with a full kitchen), then go to the D-Sands. It is a great place for the kids, too - with an indoor swiming pool and the beach just outside your door.

And I do mean the beach is just outside your door!! The surf, the sand, the people watching, the beachcombing, the bonfires, the kites, the sunsets and those wonderful Oregon storms in the winter - 15 feet from your patio or deck.

If you are ever in Lincoln City do try the D-Sands. We could stay anywhere, and did before we stayed here, now we would not stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank joloAstoria
Reviewed 14 September 2008

My family and I travel to Lincoln City, Oregon every summer, We chose the D'Sands on a reference from another hotel that we always stay at, as they were booked.
The hotel rooms were clean and had a great view of the ocean. What we found offensive, were comments made by management. While checking the movie selections, I overheard a staff member telling the night security person about guests weight in the pool and spa area. This staff member referred to these guests as whales and that she believed overweight people were disgusting. She seemed oblivious to the fact that I (a guest) was present and could hear every comment she was making. She also went so as far to point and laugh at them as they walked past the office. When I checked out my movies, I discovered that she was a manager, Angela. I am shocked that this establishment would allow someone like her to be employed in that position. I will not return to your establishment ever again and I will further not recommend any of my friends or associate to stay there either.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
16  Thank 29,501
Reviewed 8 September 2008

I had read a good recommendation for this place on the Oregon Forums and decided to check it out. Driving had made me very tired and I was hoping to find something in Rockaway Beach and stop earlier than this, but the staff at more than one hotel there were very rude and the prices quoted were terrible. I continued down the highway and was very glad I did.

D Sands is fantastic. From the friendly, funny and very nice person at the front desk, who kept me laughing and gave me a warm cookie to eat while she checked me in, to the lovely quiet corner condo she gave me on the top floor. What a lovely woman. The staff the next morning at check out were also quite nice.

She gave me a great walk in discounted rate (which I later confirmed was a fantastic deal after reviewing their website on the internet). The room was lovely with an incredible sweeping ocean front view. I had room 313, which is a corner room, so the view was even more incredible. The condo was set up with everything you could need, and I was able to use the full size fridge to store my entire cooler contents and freeze the blue ice overnight. I had enough food and snacks for a light dinner and breakfast in the room. I was reluctant to leave this lovely place, so stayed later in the morning to sit out on the balcony and enjoy the view and my coffee before packing up and leaving the next day.

The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom and kitchen were immaculate. The linens were fluffy and lovely "extras" of nicer than normal shampoo, soap, etc. There was coffee makings for the next day, and also coffee in the lobby. You can rent videos from the front desk and they'll give you free popcorn.

I highly recommend the D Sands if you are staying in Lincoln City. A great stay, and I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: September 2008
4  Thank flwrgrdn
Reviewed 11 August 2008

We were looking for a place to stay on the beach that would accommodate a family of 5 (2 adults + 3 young kids). We really wanted a unit with a kitchen given that our young kids can't sit still in a restaurant that long.

D-Sands location was perfect. We were on the 2nd floor with a unit overlooking the beach. 1 min beach access made our time at the beach memorable without the need to lug lots of stuff back and forth by car from a hotel to a beach parking lot.

The unit was clean and spacious.

I was a little disappointed with the "free" breakfast. I had expected the style found in many other hotels that I have stayed at but instead it was a coupon for a "starter" meal at a restaurant up the street. We didn't actually use the coupons, so I can't really say how good the meal would be.

The hotel had a pool which came in handy when it was raining outside. The pool does need a bit of work as some tiles are starting to fall off the sidewall.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Nerad
Reviewed 7 July 2008

This is a great place to stay in Lincoln City. All rooms have a beach and ocean view. We've stayed here several times and always have had wonderful service, clean rooms, cheerful and helpful receptionists. A cookie for each person at check in is a really nice touch.
With a bedroom, sofa bed, and pull down bed we had no problems sleeping 4 adults and 4 kids.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank mcndeb
Reviewed 25 June 2008

Just returned from a six night stay at the hotel. Beach access was great. The view was great. The hotel is close to restaurants and other services. Since we had a kitchen in our room the grocery store only a block away was very convenient. The staff was very nice and helpful. The room was cleaned each day and was for the most part kept very clean. The maids did however fail to clean the bathtub a couple of times. The kids loved the heated pool. It would be nice if the hotel provided some sort of internet access but it doesn't. This is something maybe they should look at. All in all if you're looking for a nice place to stay right on the beach, close to a lot of other services, and a friendly staff, I would highly recommend the D' Sands Condominum Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family