“Just what I wanted”

Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Lincoln City
Lincoln City, Oregon
“Just what I wanted”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I found this gem on trip advisor, I stayed there for a few days last year..so I am not so punctual, the first time was in the summer, the second was in the winter..The room was just what i needed and wanted, nothing more, nothing less. I ended up extending my stay because it was such a great fit for me. It is on the beach, it is a great stay at a great price with great people.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank PrincessGiggles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Kennewick, Washington
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Having last stayed at the Sandcastle about 25 years ago, I booked it once again for the simple fact that it is in a wonderful place right at the edge of the beach. However, what I didn't expect to find is that I doubt there has been an ounce of upgrade or maintenance done in the past 25 years. By the time we left after our four-day stay, I had decided to take a comical view of the room and look at it as an adventure. Here's a list of the things I noticed.

Front door - sticks, hard to open, took a force of nature to lock once inside. It's been painted too many times and is no longer easy to use.

Rooms - extremely small, crowded the way they have it set up.

Bathroom - exceptionally low water pressure. Shower barely comes out as a trickle. As a woman with long hair, this was so incredibly frustrating. Sink had same water pressure. Small bathroom that's seen way too many coats of paint and no upgrades.

Carpets - extremely worn, lots of stains that look like old pet urine stains.

Windows - Hard to open and close, very small, bathroom window was extremely loose in its frame and did not lock. Bedroom window also did not lock. Sliding glass door/glass wall facing the beach was good, no issues.

Beds - Both had extremely old, creaky, mattresses with broken springs. The beds are extremely high off the ground, too high for comfort, as well as the fact that most of the television is below bed height so you cannot watch tv in bed. Where the fitted sheet slid up from the mattress, you could see yellow stains all down the side of the mattress.

Chairs - two extremely old and worn out and broken La-Z-Boys. Really grungy, dirty looking fabric on them.

Walls - overpainted, chipped, the baseboard runners were all chipped and sadly in need of new paint.

Bedding/Towels - low budget, thin, not hotel quality. The bed pillows were terrible, very hard, low quality.

Temperature - no temperature control. The entire unit ran by turning a screw. When the room consistently stayed at 80 degrees, I discovered the screw was not attached to anything, and the entire unit was broken. No choice but constant heat at 80 degrees. No air conditioning or fans whatsoever.

Amenities - Soda machine broken, ice machine broken. We were told we could have coffee in the lobby at 8am but never ventured over for it.

In-Room Kitchen - adequate, though the gas stove had buttons missing so you could not use all of it. Adequate kitchen supplies, that was a nice discovery!

Pool - small, but adequate for a 7yo to have a quick swim before bed.

Staff - oddly enough, every time we were in the office, the staff were teenagers. I don't know if it was the owners' children, but it was odd. They also required us to pay for the room before we checked in as opposed to when we check out. When we checked out nobody asked us how our stay was or anything.

Parking - exceptionally small and disorganized parking lot. It is very hard to navigate without almost hitting the other cars if you drive something like an SUV, like I do.

While I love the location, I will never return to the Sandcastle Motel. It was such a disappointment.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank EponaPony .
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 8 May 2014

No quarrel with the great beachfront location and nice staff and it's pretty clean overall. However, I should have been suspicious of the low nightly rate for a beachfront location. In retrospect, I wish I had paid a bit more for a better class of hotel with more conveniences. Not rating this hotel terrible or poor overall as it's definitely a case of you pay for what you get, and based on the overwhelming positive ratings, a lot of people did not mind the motel being a bit old and worn, the bed squeaks, the linens skimpy, the bathroom and sink area cramped, very slow internet connection, office not open till 8am, and on the day of our stay, the ice machine was broken (ice still available at reception counter) and the internet was down until after dinner. There's definitely some effort to upgrade the bathroom facility and the in-room refrigerator looked and worked just fine. We arrived on an unusually hot day and we found out there's no AC. It's not a problem during the day when we could leave the front door open and the cross ventilation with the balcony door worked well enough to keep the room cool. But here's a problem nobody seemed to have mentioned in any of the reviews. Problem came in the evening when we turned on the lights. As there were no screen doors, BUGS galore from the beach (they're crawling all over the beach during the day) were drawn to the lights and invaded the room. They're not just little bugs but good size ones, and some looked like termites and we're concerned about them getting into our luggage and bringing them home. After trying to squash some but more kept coming, we ended up having to turn out just about all the lights, and finally closed all the doors with only a tiny crack for ventilation so that the room got stuffy. Luckily, we managed to fall asleep even though it was a tad warm and uncomfortable in the room. Mercifully, our stay was for only one night and we left early first thing the next morning. Lesson learned is you definitely get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else unless saving money is a priority.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank FunTrips101
Britton, South Dakota
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I took a chance with this place thinking I might regret it because it was cheaper than the others. But it was perfect. Nothing fancy. The inside looks better than the outside. My son and I had a good time on the beach (before it started raining), which is right out the door. We enjoyed the TV and the fireplace and the large refrigerator (it could use a freezer section). Didn't hear any of the other guests through the walls. I've always wanted to stay on the coast and now I have without spending a ton of money. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stayed on the top floor so I couldn't hear guests on my ceiling. Only downside to that is carryi...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BrentB24
Colorado
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Quint but wonderful! It's not the Ritz, but if you want beach-front fun, then this is a wonderful place! Pluses: the beach access. Oh yeah. You are on the beach. Kitchens. Tiny and cramped (the coffee maker was on top of the microwave, you had to WANT that coffee!!) but, hey, it is a kitchen. Has a pool and hot tub. Friendly front desk staff. Comfortable beds. Great views. Quiet street set away from the traffic on the main road. Fairly large flat screen TV. Minuses: Very little seating in the living room. Two little rocking-type chairs for a room that slept 4. Others had to sit on the bed, which wasn't very comfortable on the back. No balcony. On our visit, the cleaning staff did almost nothing in our rooms. I even had to take dirty towels down on one day and get them exchanged because the staff left them on the floor of the bathroom. Stayed 5 days and not once did they vacuum. Made beds and did take trash. Pool was small and rather tepid and tasted like salt water, but the hot tub was nice. Pool is on the edge of the property and through a crowded parking lot from the majority of rooms, which wasn't much fun when you were wet and cold. Oh, and horrible parking situation. Tiny little spaces that most people (no states named here but Texans in large cars come to mind) couldn't manage to park in properly. Made you think twice about leaving--will I find a parking place if I leave?? Probably the #1 biggest downside of this otherwise charming facility, which I am looking forward to bringing my kids with me to next time (was here for an adult women family reunion of sorts)!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Bothell, Washington
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I found this motel through Trip Advisor and the ratings were good, but I was still skeptical because the price was so good for this beachfront motel. However, I was thrilled with our stay! This is an older motel and wasn't fancy, but was super clean, nicely updated and perfect for a stay at the beach. All the rooms have a beautiful view of the beach (the motel sits RIGHT on the beach - can't get any closer!). The balconies are small, but the view is spectacular. It's a quick trot down the stairs to the beach. It has a nice clean indoor pool and hot tub. The staff is friendly and very helpful. Our room did not have a kitchen, but had an extra sink, toaster, coffee maker, fridge and microwave. Perfect for a couple nights stay. We will definitely return!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Kristi R
Kennewick, Washington
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed several nights and absolutely loved our room. Quaint and comfy with a king bed and fireplace. Very clean. The office staff was very friendly and helpful in making suggestions on where to eat and sites to see or activities to do. Was one of the few places on the beach with direct access. The room rate for each night was also very fair too. Will definitely be staying again!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple