“It could not have been worse”

Starfish Manor Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Lincoln City
Gresham, Oregon
“It could not have been worse”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

First of all, the room had a terrible odor coming from the curtains (which were also falling off of the wall). The room was freezing when we got there, and when we went to use the heat it didn't work. The staff was not apologetic for any of the issues we had. Finally my husband went to brush his teeth and could only get hot water from the tap. We gave up and asked for another room and had to move to another one of the hotels owned by starfish manor and we had to drive there. We were supposed to stay 2 nights but they only had one night available and we had already lost our dinner reservations after the mess of dealing with the issues in our room. We decided to stay the one night (and had to pay an additional $87 to get a clean, warm room) and when we went to check out the person checking out next to my husband went on about a huge leak they had in their room overnight that they had been cleaning up themselves with towels. The maid said, "oh yeah I know that room" to them. Clearly they know of issues in their hotel and have no problem taking your money and not concerning themselves with the quality of your stay. Next time I would rather sleep in my car.

14 Thank Candypie
beachfrontdianna, Owner at Starfish Manor Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
This person did NOT stay at the Starfish Manor Hotel. I have requested it be removed as they did not stay at the Starfish Manor Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Redmond, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

Was a very nice and wonderful stay. Room was just as it is advertised and the view was better than expected. Beach access is just down the block. Every thing was great and we couldn't have asked for a nicer place to stay to celebrate our anniversary.

Room Tip: Higher up rooms offer more privacy and a better view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Redmond, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

After reading the revision my husband and I were really excited about a romantic getaway. The room was really nice as was the check-in staff. The bed was extremely comfortable. Now the not so good - First, the Internet service was virtually non existent unless you stand out in the hallway. I did talk to the desk clerk and she informed me that wifi was going to be updated soon. Second, on the morning of our departure we found old moldy coffee in our coffee pot. I mentioned it to the desk staff on departure and I received an 'oops'. Lastly, I left a night gown behind the door in the bathroom. I called within hours and they said they didn't see but would ask a housekeeper that had gone for the day. No call back. Oh, and cleaning your carpet would be a good idea. Attention to details like basic cleanliness is very important to me. In the end Starfish Manor was ok. Priced a good deal higher than similar places on the coast.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beth W
Albany, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

The room was comfortable and spacious, the amenities were upscale and smelled AMAZING! The linen was clean and beautiful. LOVE the fireplace!!! So nice on a cold stormy night. SUPER close to the beach with amazing views!

1 Thank DPappasAlb
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Visited the Oregon coast for the first time, and stayed at this small hotel. Checked in late, with easy to follow instructions. After a long 11 hour drive, it was awesome to arrive to an amazing room with rose petals on the bed, chocolates on the pillows, robes nicely arranged on the bed. The next morning, once the sun was up, we really got our first glance of the ocean. It was stormy the whole visit, but it was incredible nonetheless. The room balcony had 2 chairs on it, though it was raining so hard, the patio was soaked. The ocean view 2 person jacuzzi ( with rubber duck) was special. The room also had a fireplace, and small kitchen with a few supplies. We had to ask 2 days in a row to get an extra spoon for the kitchen. The wifi in room 9 did not work ( couldn't detect the signal) the whole time we were there. We inquired about this 3 times, the first 2 times we were asked to make sure we had the laptop and iPhones trying to connect ( we did) , and the third time, the front desk clerk was going to have the maintenance man go reset the router, which didn't help either. So, essentially nothing was done. One of the windows was also leaking a lot due to the rain, and we were given an extra towel to put near the leaking window... Hope that is fixed. The housekeeping service left chocolates on the pillows, personalized notes, and the couch was even vacuumed with a pattern, and special messages were written on the couch. Amazing service!!! We have travelled extensively all over the world, and this was definitely the most memorable housekeeping service we have ever experienced. The room was quite hot. Leave the patio window open at night to hear the crashing waves... Fantastic!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at a starfish property. Last time we stayed at the Nantucket inn and loved it. Great views and room and easy access to the beach. This time we stayed in the main building and loved our room! Having the tub by this window was beautiful and romantic! My only complaint was the distant to get to the beach but 2 blocks didn't kill us. Can't wait to go back for the penny rates!!!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Pt57star
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

This review is long overdue but am finally getting to it. We went with another couple for a couple of nights on the beautiful Oregon Coast. Check in was smooth. Rooms were a bit small but the view is beautiful and the rooms were clean. We had a fireplace suite and a jetted tub in the room. Beach access is down the road. You can NOT access the beach directly from the hotel. Again it was clean but I thought it would be a bit bigger for the price we had to pay.

Last day there we were told by the receptionist that someone had hit our car in the parking lot. We went to check it out as we were the only car in the lot. Sure enough someone had hit our car and left. Absolutely understand it is NOT their fault but her attitude was more ho hum then anything else. I get that she couldn't do anything about it but I sure wasn't impressed with her empathy. Still had a nice time and it is a nice place.
Two days ago I get a phone call from the Starfish Manor that it has been 3 months since we visited and I haven't collected my headset from their lost and found. They are now going to "donate" it as they don't hold things for more than 3 months. That's where it was! I was so glad to finally get my headset back. I called right away only to be told that they had already got rid of the headset. What the heck? Apparently they called me when they were first found. This is a phone call that I didn't receive! So I was shocked and not too thrilled to find out it was gone. Why in the heck do you call only to tell me you are getting rid of them?? Huh? I was upset and asked if she could please check again with the lady that had called. At this point Shannon laughs and says she will check but she is sure I am out of luck! No apology just a laugh. Nice- NO WAY is it their fault that I left the headphones there and I get that BUT this place could sure use some helpful tips on how to treat their customers. This is a nice place but you can do MUCH better heading a bit down the beach to the Coho or the Nordic where you will be appreciated and treated like a guest. As for us we won't be back. Sorry Starfish.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple