“Very nice - but not luxury”

Starfish Manor Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Lincoln City
Reviewed 10 December 2008

My wife and I went for a relaxing, grown-ups only weekend with our friends. My best friend chose the Starfish Manor as a result of glowing reviews he'd read here on TripAdvisor.

We were pleasantly surprised when the management called us at home at 11:00 a.m. to let us know our room was ready any time we could get there (we were driving about 2 hours). That's great service! I wish we could have hopped in the car and come right down, but as it was we didn't manage to check in until 8:30 p.m.

Check in was quick and efficient. We went straight to our room. We were pleased to see the rose petals, chocolates, and robes on the bed, as well as petals on the edge of the whirlpool tub. Very nice touches!

The room was very clean - one of the best I've seen in any price range in years. I did get attacked by one very long brown hair in the shower that was neither mine nor my wife's - but otherwise everything was spotless.

The view from your private balcony is spectacular. The hotel property is almost on the beach itself, and the unobstructed view of the beach and the ocean is great. At around midnight I was treated to the moon setting into a very calm Pacific - truly beautiful.

The bed was very comfortable, if a tad squeaky (King size in our room). The TV (which we never turned on) is a flat-panel LCD-type, but is a bit small for its distance from either the bed or the (very comfortable also) couch. The TV is also placed in between bed and couch, which makes for some awkward viewing angles. No matter - if you really care about the TV you might as well go to the Best Western in town.

The shower and toilet combo (we call it the potty hut) is as small as it possibly can be and still function. While the 2-head shower is very cool, the room itself is so small as to obstruct easy access. The sink sits outside the potty hut and has no counter space on which to place your toiletries...

A mini kitchenette was a part of our 4th floor room, including microwave, fridge, sink, coffee maker.

Now, there are a few minor quibbles that, to my very picky mind, keep this place from being spectacular: peeling paint in the shower, peeling veneer on a bedside table, a toilet seat that didn't fit the toilet itself, a whirlpool that is really too shallow and too narrow for two people (they bill it as a romantic haven - we should expect a whirlpool built for two!), hand soap that is overly smelly, a door that doesn't lock automatically and had a very stiff deadbolt lock...small details all, but things that a truly spectacular place wouldn't put up with.

Finally, the best part of the whole place: the journal in the room. Our friends had the room next door, and over the course of two evenings we went through both rooms' journals. There are great entries - people who stay here really seem to be inspired to share! It is nice to see entries by repeat visitors - the place obviously does care about its customers. If you stay at the Starfish Manor, BE SURE to set aside some time to read the journal!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank bbycrts

Reviewed 23 November 2008

Our wedding anniversary is in November and we love the coast of Lincoln City. We were unsure of where to stay for romance and peace & quiet without noisy people or children.We have children, but do not want to spend our anniversary with them.
Anyway I just cannot believe how amazing the General Manager is for pampering us already and we haven't even stayed yet. They have congratualated us on our anniversary, upgraded our room and are just being so generous.
We are staying at 2 of their properties to try them out. I have never received such kindness from a hotel before.
I'm excited and I haven't even stayed yet!

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 22 November 2008

I cannot say enough wonderful things about this place! From the moment we walked into our room until the moment we left, everything was perfect! The jacuzzi tub right near the fireplace with an ocean view!! The little things that made it so wonderful were the fabulous sheets, (what were they, 5000 thread count?) the wine glasses provided, and the rose pedals certainly added such a warm romantic touch. The decoration in the room was fabulous. I didn't feel like I was in a hotel at all!! It was wonderful! And the jacuzzi tub... wow! I travel a LOT and stay in tons of hotels. This is tied for my top favorite!!! And right in my own backyard!! I will recommend this hotel to everyone I know.

1  Thank tumtum68
Reviewed 18 November 2008

We had a lovely time at this hotel recently. Beautiful views, nice room with wonderful bed linens. Enjoyed the nice peppermint scented hair shampoo/soaps.

My only disappointment was that our room did not have the rose petals sprinkled about as indicated by the pictures and other guests in past reviews. I partially choose this hotel for the extra romance. If it was an extra fee for this service, that would be helpful to know. I thought it was complimentary due to the above average price of this romantic hotel.

Otherwise, very nice stay and we would visit again.

1  Thank scribepal
Reviewed 18 November 2008

My husband and I have made the Oregon Coast our retreat for over ten years. With three kids we usually do not get the retreat by ourselves, but this last weekend we were fortunate enough to stay at the Starfish Manor without the kids.

From the moment I called, the lady at the desk was informative and helpful. She walked me through the room over the phone describing the room perfectly. When we arrived the first thing we noticed was the oversized king bed with it's top of the line linens. We have a comfortable bed at home, but nothing compared to the bed in our room. The jacuzzi in front of the window overlooking the ocean was incredable and the relaxation salts and bathrobes were an appreciative touch. Even the fluffy sofa was as comfortable as could be.

When we woke up in the morning we were excited to find the shower had double shower heads! It was such a nice surprise and we really appreciated all the top scale bath soaps, shampoos, and relaxation salts.

Thank you so much for a relaxing stay, we truely felt like we were in our own beach home! We will be back!

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank JRaffaele
Reviewed 24 October 2008

We had read reviews on Tripadvisor but didn't have reservations. We had great difficulty locating the hotel, there are no signs on the main roads directing you, and it was just by chance on our third drive-by that we happened to look up and see the Starfish Manor sign. We were shown a number of rooms and fell in love with Room #9 on the third floor. It was perfect! A king bed, couch, fireplace (which we didn't use since it was so warm), balcony, kitchenette, beautiful bathroom and, best of all, the huge jacuzzi tub in front of the window with incredible ocean views. We decided to stay a second night but the only room available was a first floor room. We should have checked it out. The girl on reception told us it would be exactly the same as Room #9. This was not the case. This room was much smaller, had no couch, there were no Kleenex and the cleanliness of the room didn't compare to Room 9. Not having screens on the third floor wasn't an issue but there were LOTS of flying bugs so we needed to close our windows which meant it was too hot in the room (we did use the portable fan provided) and we didn't get to enjoy the sounds of the crashing waves. We feel they really need lockable screens on the ground floor rooms to keep out the flying insects and for security reasons also. If you left your doors open anyone could walk in. If you get anything but a ground floor room you will have a fabulous stay.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank SengaMilne
Reviewed 6 October 2008

My husband and I wanted to spend a couple of nights at the beach after our wedding. Having never stayed in Lincoln City, we researched the area hotels and settled on the Oceanfront Manor. We had originally booked a room on the 6th floor, but my husband wanted a couch so we changed the reservation to a room on the 5th floor with an outdoor hot tub. The staff was very helpful, both on the phone and in person. The room itself was incredible and very comfortable. The room and the hot tub were both extremely clean. The only complaint (if you could call it that) was how small the bathroom/shower was. The roof of the units right below us was being redone, but the workers were almost finished with the project and ended by 5pm. The staff told us about this issue and offered to move us if we found it annoying. We could have easily stayed several more days and definitely plan to come back.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
beachfrontdianna, Owner at Starfish Manor Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2008

We are very happy to hear this guest had a great stay. But they actually stayed at our Beachfront Manor Hotel - not the Starfish Manor. I know this because the Starfish only has 4 floors. Also we just redid the roof on the lower beachfront building of the Beachfront Manor. Either way we are very happy they enjoyed one of our oceanfront properties!