“Romance at its finest”
Review of Nelscott Manor

Nelscott Manor
Ranked #7 of 8 Lincoln City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The reviews do not lie...this place is one of the best romantic getaway destinations on the Oregon Coast. I was planning to propose to my girlfriend, and I wanted to take her some place special. I called the hotel to ask a few questions, and am happy to say I was able to book the room at a slightly better rate than what was advertised online. Also, it was important to us that the property be LGBT friendly, and it did not disappoint. I never once felt awkward or discriminated either at the Starfish when checking in/out or at the Nelscott, which is extremely quiet. We stayed in #4 the Regatta, and the jacuzzi tub and the double headed shower alone made this room fantastic. Factor in the comfy, memory foam feeling bed (and we brought our own memory foam pillows from home) and you're set for a relaxing weekend. A few cons - the mini fridge door wouldn't close completely, so we had to prop our cooler against it to keep the cold in. Also, robes were supposed to be waiting for us upon arrival, but they were missing. Also, the last guests seemed to have broken the window shade over the bathtub. I'm happy to report that I called the Starfish Manor the next morning and the shade was promptly fixed and robes were provided. Unfortunately, the only replacement mini fridge did not fit the precut hole in the cabinets, but I gladly sacrificed the 3 feet at the foot of the bed for a fridge that kept my food cold. Also, the wireless Internet at Nelscott was not yet functional, but that's hardly the focus of a romantic getaway ;) Starfish Manor was more than accommodating to let us use their Wifi connection, just a shore drive away. Overall, we had a great stay, and would definitely come back again.

Room Tip: Regatta suites are great for romantic getaways...you will not want to leave the jacuzzi tub with the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank precioustaxipjs

Reviewed 29 March 2012

The location of this hotel is wonderful. Right on the cliff surrounded by private homes with direct access to the beach. The beach in front is beautiful with many agates and shells. It advertised a balcony - but note - the first floor units like room 1 have no porch or outside lounge space. The decor was IKEA modern - yet also IKEA quality. The kitchen was small, yet functional. I did suggest to the Inn to provide a cutting board and cookie sheet. Otherwise you are forcing guests to cut on the counter tops which is not a good thing on Formica. The rooms were again comfortable; but absolutely miniature closet space. My friends rooms closet was only 12 inches wide. Funny! Overall - a nice place to stay - VERY QUITE - and beautiful view.

Room Tip: An upper level room will have the balcony with gorgeous views and less noise (from people walking ab...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kathryntrek
Reviewed 19 November 2011

We used to love coming to Starfish but when my husband and I arrived last the room smelled so bad we were gagging. We tried to air it out for a while but the horrible smell wouldn't quit. We drove back to the main desk to switch rooms but when we got there the front desk couldn't find the key to the new room and realized that another guest had it!?? We had to drive back across town and knock on another guest's room to get our hotel key and wasted a couple precious hours on the whole thing only to find out there was absolutely no cost reduction for all the trouble.

We tried writing the hotel owner stating we would like to be long-term customers but need a discount or some reason to come back... we recieved NO response. NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Sara F
Reviewed 17 October 2011

We stayed at the Nelscott Manor in Lincoln city in their Bella Suite for our 17th anniversary. We could not have had a better stay. It was the perfect anniversary. A jacuzzi tub in the room, hot tub on the deck, fireplace and comfy bed. Great views of the beach (out the back door!) from every room! We didn't want to leave!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2011

The short of this story without getting into too much of the nitty gritty is that my girlfriend and I had a wonderful stay for two nights in a Regatta room at the Nelscott, but our visit was tarnished by the incessant smell of bacon grease which is the only reason I rate this establishment as "average". After a complaint the next morning to the front desk at the Starfish, they sent at my request someone out to clean the kitchen. When we later returned the odor was still there, so the staff offered Febreeze as solution which I turned down due chemical/fragrance allergies. I had resolved at that point to discuss the issue the next day with management. Upon checkout I mentioned the problem again but the front desk was apologetic though just as happy to check us out and send us on our way. The consensus amongst staff is that the neighbors in the larger suite above were cooking bacon both days, but I'm telling you that this smell was continual even with the windows and the sliding door open over night and I'm suspicious of this explanation. I followed up by email with the general manager upon getting home later that night as I felt there was some reparation to be paid (yes, I was asking for a discount) and an explanation of the situation was made. My communications with her have since soured and I've gotten myself banned from all On the Beachfront properties, which is in all honesty a disappointment for me cause I was really looking forward to coming back! In the interest of keeping this civil I'll leave my complaints about my communications with management out of this review. She does say that she inspected to room herself and followed up with the previous and following guests and that they've made no complaint of a smell. I'm left feeling unsatisfied with this experience and wish I had made more of a fuss earlier. I guess there are two lessons to take in all of this... be a jerk and complain incessantly if you can't get rid of the bacon smell, and the old adage "the customer is always right" is fading fast in Lincoln City. All in all this hotel has a perfectly comfortable bed, a well above par room with an incredible view from an amazing jacuzzi tub, a very nicely equipped bathroom and a private balcony perfect for wine and sunset. With the exception of the odor that apparently only we experienced, the room was quite clean and well worth the price. Maybe the GM will see that I can indeed write a fair review, that I'm not a money grubbing jerk and will reconsider taking my money for a future stay. Also: do checkout the Beach Dog cafe for breakfast and Side Door for lunch but avoid Pier 101 at all costs.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Unsatisfied_0811
beachfrontdianna, Owner at Nelscott Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

The foul odor was according to this guest - bacon cooking. I am glad this guest enjoyed the wonderful oceanfront jacuzzi tub for 2, fireplace, luxury bedding, private oceanfront deck, etc. As stated in his review our housekeeping went to his room during his stay twice - but could not smell anything but offered Frebreeze as "the customer IS always right". After his contact with me (the owner not manager) I followed up with the prior guest and the guest that were in the room following him - no odor and "they LOVED it and cant wait to come back!" I even went down and double checked myself. This guest said after we did all this checking that he didn't think I had done any checking with any guest. Which I would have just let go. In his first email to me he asked for a phone call. I email back and explained that I respond via email as I help care for my brother is has ALS (terminal) so don't have a specific schedule. What got this person banned is he said that he felt that I used this information to try to get him not to complain. What kind of person uses a family member's illness to save a couple of bucks.....not me. I felt this to be the ultimate in rudeness and he is not welcome at any of my properties.

Reviewed 26 June 2011

My wife and I wanted to find a place on the Oregon coast to spend a romantic evening overlooking the ocean, preferably with a jacuzzi. Unfortunately, I procrastinated way too long and found myself looking at too many "no vacancies" online from Astoria to Lincoln City, OR. I found the Starfish Manor on TripAdvisor and it looked promising but alas, no vacancies for just the Saturday night we were looking for.

I decided to simply call and see if they had anything available that didn't show up on their website. I was informed of another property, the Nelscott Manor, that had the "Executive Bella Suite" available. I was quoted a price that was slightly outside of what I considered market rate for an Oregon coast room. After a bit of negotiating, I was offered the room at a discounted price, albeit still a little on the high side but still booked it.

The Good:

- The View (WOW, just open up the doors to the outside patio and take in the essense that is the pacific ocean.)
- The Details: 2 robes laid out with rose pedals spread out on the master bed. Chocolates were also included.
- Spacious master bedroom with 2 person jacuzzi with an ocean view. (NOTE: the second bedroom is quite small.)
- The 4 person hot tub on the deck was probably the best thing about this location as it was the perfect place to be when the sun set over the horizon.
- The staff was very gracious and accommodating as we arived before check in and they got us in early so we could take advantage of the accommodations.

The Bad:

- You will have to walk up a bunch of stairs to get up to the penthouse suite. Although this is just an inconvenience as the views you will soon see overshadow the long walk up.

Final Verdict:

- Would I stay here again? - Yes, although I would try to negotiate a better rate.
- Would I recomend this location? - Yes.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2011

It's the gift package for my birthday from my hubby.When we entered the room was nicely decorated with rose petals.The breathtaking views from the room was spectacular especially the view from jacuzzi was splendid experince.It has only 3 studios and two 2 bedroom suites which gave us the perfect vacation home feel.The location of the beach is so secluded.Nelscott will be heaven for honeymoon couples like us.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple