“Very Disappointing Stay”

Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Lincoln City
Hillsboro, Oregon
“Very Disappointing Stay”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We were in town for a concert at the casino and we only stayed for one night (thankfully). The door frame was separated from the wall and looked like someone had tried to kick it in while latched. My husband told the office about the door because we didn't want to be charged or blamed for the damage. The front desk clerk apologized and asked if we wanted someone to come up and fix it. I would think they would have fixed it before guests arrived.

Also, there were painters outside of our window painting the railing. We couldn't even relax before the concert because faces were outside the sliding door.

I pulled back the bedding and there were long hairs on the sheets as if the sheets had not been changed. I tried to rationalize that maybe they were washed and static cling caused the hairs to remain on the bedding, but some were too stuck to be just static cling. I found four hairs (long black) in the sheets. I refused to sleep under the covers and slept on top of the bedding in my clothes. It was gross to say the least.

My husband went to the office to purchase some snacks and the girl working couldn't figure out how much she should charge for things. Odd, right?

Maybe this was just a bad day to stay at the Coho; I don't know, but I do know I will never be back. The French press coffee was nice, but doesn't make up for the rest.

2 Thank JoAnn M
CohoManager, Manager at The Coho Oceanfront Lodge, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear Joann,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. I am very disheartened to hear that your stay was anything less than exceptional. Your experience is not the typical of The Coho and our standards. I apologize that the door latch was loose. Unfortunately, the previous guest hadn't mentioned anything to us and the staff member missed it. Any time there is a maintenance issue reported to the front desk, we are sure to address it right away. We were doing some exterior painting while we had a few days of sunshine, including painting the balconies. We tried to contact each guest to see if it was ok to be outside of their window for a short period to paint their balconies. I apologize if somehow we failed to notify you of this project at checkin or by calling you. I have addressed the housekeeping issues you mentioned with the sheets with my laundry and housekeeping staff to ensure this doesn't happen again. Also, I spoke with the front desk team about ringing up guests purchases.

Once again, I sincerely apologize that your trip was not all you had wanted, as I read your review of the concert you attended as well. If you would like to further discuss any of the issues you encountered, I can be reached directly at Mariah@thecoholodge.com or by calling the hotel at 541.994.3684 I hope that you will give The Coho another chance to impress you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Coho last weekend for the second time and I was curious to see if they would be able to match the amazing service and quality that we enjoyed during our first visit last year. Happy to report that they may have exceeded themselves. Of all the hotels we have enjoyed together, the Coho has shot up our list of all-time favorites. The Sunset suite is money well spent if you want an amazing room with ocean views. The staff at the Coho are super professional, yet very friendly and welcoming. If you need a break away weekend, the Coho is your place.

1 Thank Simon S
CohoManager, Manager at The Coho Oceanfront Lodge, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Simon,

Thank you so much for writing our 700th review! It is so great to hear that the staff was able to exceed your expectations. We truly do pride ourselves on service at The Coho, and it sounds like we are living up to our standard. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay and we will be honored to take a place in your list of favorites hotels. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Lincoln City!
Troutdale, Oregon
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We have stayed here many times and the staff is always very helpful and friendly. The rooms are clean and we are very comfortable there. I do wish that all the rooms had balconies but we usually stay in the rooms without just because they are a bit less expensive. i think you get a value for the money. They did honor AARP for Thursday but not Friday. Don't agree with that but not a lot one can do about it.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room because the view is less obstructed by the window's screen.
1 Thank firebunny123
Thank you for your continued business and loyalty to The Coho! I'm so glad that you enjoyed another stay with us and look forward to seeing you again. Maybe next time we can get you in one of our King Deluxe with balcony rooms or the King bed with a kitchenette and balcony. Both of these rooms are only about $10-$20 more than our studios, which have the panoramic window views.
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We loved this hotel so much we decided to stay an extra night. Dinners on the beach and drinks by the fire pits every night. Good breaky in the morning and the staff were very helpful and cool! Our room was great but didn't like the duvet, was too heavy and kept falling off the bed at night. Would definitely stay there again, great hotel and great price.

• Stayed October 2013
CohoManager, Manager at The Coho Oceanfront Lodge, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
We appreciate you taking time to write about your recent trip to The Coho! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I think we do offer a good complimentary breakfast each morning, including hot and cold items. I apologize about the inconvenience of your duvet sliding off the bed. If it would help you, we do offer extra blankets that we can put in your room during your next stay. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
mountainside nj
Reviewed 30 October 2013

There are two things that make this a 5-star hotel: the view and the staff. When you walk into the room (we had an oceanfront queen room) all you see is ocean through the huge windows that front the beach. With that first glimpse of the vast, wild Pacific you have already gotten your money's worth. The hotel was a great value; with AAA rate it was $94/night (midweek October). The hotel is basically a beach motel with a few really nice upgrades. The room is pretty but unremarkable; bathroom is just fine--but again, with a view like this, who cares about anything else? The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. They will offer suggestions for restaurants, local attractions and anything else you need. Fresh cookies are waiting for you in the lobby when you check in, and there are several varieties of Oregon wine for sale in the lobby, very reasonably priced. There's a corkscrew in the room, and they will give you wineglasses. The free breakfast is served in a nice room and is fine with a decent selection, including delicious biscuits. There is an indoor pool and hot tub, which was totally deserted when we used it. The firepits on the beach in the evening are heavenly. I recommend buying a bottle of wine, ordering in dinner and eating it while enjoying the view and then taking a glass of wine out to the firepit. This is a great hotel, and the view is breathtaking. Thank you, Coho!

Room Tip: Definitely spring for the full ocean view. ABSOLUTELY worth the money--wish we had gotten a balcony...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Ellie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us! I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and took advantage of some the many amenities that The Coho has to offer. We do have some rather amazing views to offer our guests and sitting around the fire pits is a great way to enjoy it. It's great to hear that the staff mad such a positive impact on your stay. We do strive to make every guest comfortable and happy during their stay with us. We hope that we will see you again, should your travels bring you back to the Oregon Coast. Maybe next time, you can enjoy a room with a balcony!
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 28 October 2013

If there were a 10 star rating I would bestow that on The Coho. The staff, the view, the facilities, the deluxe continental breakfast are all above average. Complimentary DVDs, French Press coffee for your room and a feeling that pleasing the customer is their utmost responsibility. A very professional, warm staff is so welcome. I am a native Oregonian and have been vacationing at the beach all my life. This is my new favorite place to stay. They have pet rooms on the first floor available for an extra $20 per night. Utmost cleanliness, no smoking and quiet. When booking on Priceline or other type of service be sure to call The Coho right after booking and they will make sure you are placed in a pet room, which is the ground floor with a nice little stretch of green lawn outside your window or patio. I cannot think of anything they need to improve.

Room Tip: Be certain to call them when traveling with your dog.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
CohoManager, Manager at The Coho Oceanfront Lodge, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Jean,

Thank you so much for writing such a wonderful review of your stay at The Coho! We truly do care about all of our guests and making sure that they enjoy their stay with us. I am so glad to hear that we were able to make such a positive impact on your trip. We would love to welcome you and your furry family member back to The Coho anytime!
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The staff really go above and beyond. Our stay was amazing as it always is. And they are pet friendly. I would like a better breakfast(maybe homemade gravy, some more hot choices). Will be back for sure, best hotel on the coast. :-)

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Williams5306
CohoManager, Manager at The Coho Oceanfront Lodge, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts of The Coho! Our staff truly does pride itself on providing excellent customer service! I am so glad to hear that they made your stay with us exceptional. I appreciate any suggestions that our guests have to help us improve our hotel and the services we offer. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Coho in the future!