“Almost ruined mothers day”

Surftides Lincoln City
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Lincoln City
Happy Valley, Oregon
“Almost ruined mothers day”
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Booked hotel stay through Hotels.com. two weeks before travelling. Upon arriving I was told that my reservation could not be found ( I had all my hotels.com information with me). I was pushed to the end of the line and then finally told that after spending 3 hours in the car driving, now i needed to call hotels.com and find out what happened. I told them that they need to make the call as I did not have near as much interaction with hotels.com and did not even know where to start to make a call. I ended up spending over an hour in the lobby being passed over and mocked by the front desk attendant. I have never experienced such poor hospitality at an establishment in my life. I tried many times to reach the manager and was never called back by him. Emailed the owner and recieved an email back from him. I was never called directly and apologized to. My room was refunded, but it is almost as if the behavior of the front desk clerk (directly) and the manager (indiresctly, he did not get the information from hotels,com off the computer!) was completely ignored. I used to remember the surftides as a fun place to go as a child and wanted to share that experience with my daughter for Mothers Day. We had a nice time everywhere else except the Motel. I doubt I will return to the Surftides.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank StuCarlson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Reviewed 30 August 2011

I booked a two night stay at Surftides (8/27/11 - 8/29/11) for my Grandmothers 83rd birthday. I wanted to book somewhere with an ocean view, so that she could look out on the beach and watch the water since she has limited mobility. Check in at Surftides is at 4 PM (which in my opinion is a little late, considering their check out time is 11 AM). We arrived around 3:30 and were told that our room would not be ready for another half hour. The gentlemen that were working the front desk were very professional and used to the utmost respect when explaining to patrons that rooms were simply not ready (which is not their fault; however, they are the ones who take all the criticism.) Working in a customer service oriented field myself, I was very impressed with how these gentlemen (one of them had dreads and the other was tall with dark hair and dark skin, younger) handled the heat given from the impatient and irrational people.

We got to our room which was remotely accessible from the parking lot - so we didn't have to go up or down any stairs, which is exactly what we asked for when we booked. Our room was clean and the perfect amount of space for the two of us. The next day, the house keepers stopped by and replaced our towels, soaps, coffees, and took out our garbage. They asked my grandmother if she needed or wanted anything else and she said that everything was okay. (We do not need sheets changed everyday, as this is a waste when only staying two nights.) The gentleman from housekeeping was very friendly and professional as well.

The only reason I am giving this 3 starts instead of 5 are as follows: It was not pleasant to be able to hear the showers running in the room next to us, as they are very loud and unpleasant when trying to sleep in. Also, with being on the 3rd floor, the cement walkways carry any heavy footsteps, so children running and the housekeeping carts made quite a bit of noise as well. Pillows on beds were the size of accent pillows found on couches, instead of regular sized pillows found on most beds. We ordered breakfast from MIST and had it delivered to our room via room service and were disappointed to see that it came in a paper food carrier (eco friendly) lined with tin foil, which made it hard to use cutlery because we did not want pieces of foil in our food. We also did not receive any salt, pepper, or ketchup with our order. Overall, the food itself was good and the young woman who delivered was very friendly and apologized for the wait even though it didn't take long for the food to arrive at all. As I stated earlier, I think a check in time of 4 PM is a little later when check out is at 11 AM.

Would stay again, but plan on doing some price checking elsewhere with earlier check in times.

Reviewed 29 August 2011

I booked three nights for the weekend at the last minute. I checked reviews after the fact and was really worried it wasn't going to be a decent place, but it was. What we liked best, as a family was the beach access... it's right there on the beach, which makes it easy if you have little ones. We've got a four year old and a two year old. We stayed in an updated room, but it was still a little shabby around the edges: old doors (bathroom door didn't lock), old vanity, broken down caulking in the bathroom. On the good side: The beds were really comfortable and everything was cleaned well when we got there. They won't service your room while you're there unless you ask them. We asked them for extra towels b/c we used the swimming pool and more coffee and they brought it, but best to catch someone on the cleaning staff when they're out cleaning rooms if you need something b/c they'll give it to you right there.

Would we stay again? Probably.

Pasco
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Sorry But I would not go back here we got there after 4 our room was not ready so we waited for 5 minutes, finally got in the room and we had to call for there were NO towels in the room. The bed was extremely hard...... Sand in the bed Really.... Dishes were dirty!!! I toook back to Decaf coffees in the morning stating that I did not want Decaf I wanted regular and what did I get in return ..... Two more Decafs NOT acceptable...... Went to the so called restaurant what a JOKE since when do the servers argue with the guest????? never heard of it before..... had a beer but waited around to get another one.... POOOOOOOOR service....

Would not suggest anyone go to either of these places.... Sorry just my oppinion.....

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Robert B
Battle Ground, Washington
Reviewed 19 August 2011

My friend and I decided to take a trip to Lincoln City with our two little boys. While searching hotels in the area we came upon the Surftides website. The pictures made the hotel look really nice and most of the reviews raved about how wonderful the hotel was. We made our reservation, $225 and were excited for our weekend away. We pulled up to the hotel and it was such a disappointment, it was old and looked nothing like the pictures. We gave it the benefit of the doubt and hoped the room would be nicer. It wasn't!!! It was dark and old, the only nicer looking thing in the room was the comforter on the bed and the fancy throw pillows. The hide-a-bed was stained, the floor was filthy, we found a slurpee lid and straw in our ice bucket, eww. The night got worse. It was hot in our room, there was no A/C or even a fan, our neighbors were super loud and we could hear the toilet flush next door. All I have to say is DON'T STAY HERE. I don't know what all the hype was about, the website is terribly misleading and the price was outrageous for the room we got. Go elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Shannon B
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 16 August 2011

For some reason hotel management feels it is not necessary to clean your room if you stay more than one day. Poor cleaning standards.

2 Thank stephen d
picataggio, Owner at Surftides Lincoln City, responded to this review, 17 August 2011
Thank your review.

It is our policy to clean each room unless a guest request not to have the room clean.

We did receive your guest card after you checked out and the housekeeper was fired over this incident. And the head of Housekeeping was written up.

Our apologies for this.
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Ugh just spent three nights in the hotel and had three rooms for our party. The first night we went to the restaurent and had a horrible experience for which we were charged full price and an gratutiy was added. No butter for breakfast, inconsitent portions, cold. Great menu concept. Lobster mac and cheese is amazing...and the prices are affordable. The hostess rolled her eyes when we asked for a table for 10, and walked away. We were not sure if we should leave or stay. The manage of the both assured me we would be compensated and that never happened. Room was not cleaned and restocked after our first night, despite calling and requesting. The second day it was cleaned after another request . One of the TVs in our rooms didnt have full channels, they did fix this promptly. Three keys didnt work so maitenance came and fixed it because we were locked out. Bill themselves as a pet hotel but we were instructed to not walk our pets on the property. I did love the updated rooms, the unique flooring, very clean. Pool area has water damage, needs paint and fixing. The spa/jacuzzi was disgusting with hair and algae on the sides. Short staffed in every department. Housekeepers, females yelling to each other from floor to floor using profanity. To expensive to get this kind of poor service. Probably wouldnt be nearly as angry if they had compensated us as they stated they would but it was just one more crazy thing. Managers, nodded and apologized.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are best
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your review.

We do and did apologize for what happened to you over dinner. The person who rolled their eyes at you was fired, your dinner was comped, you were given a gift certificate and your rate on your room adjusted.

As for the pets, we own the property directly across the street ( wide open field ) and all of our guests are free to walk their pets over there. We simply ask that no one lets their pets do there business where the hotel buildings are out of respect for all guests.

It was our understanding after we spoke with you that we had corrected all of your issues. I clearly see we did not and I apologize.