“Surfides is our "go to" place on the Oregon Coast”

Surftides Lincoln City
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Lincoln City
Vancouver
“Surfides is our "go to" place on the Oregon Coast”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We go to the Oregon Coast at least once a year (usually twice or more), and love our stays at the Surftides. You can't beat the location right on the beach. We've stayed at other places, some nice, some so-so, but we always seem to come back to Surftides. It's close to the casino, and there's a safeway and Wal-Greens nearby--not to mention a Starbucks--a necessity for this caffeine junkie.. The attached restaurant, "Mist", is also VERY convenient, and offers good value --I highly recommend the "German Pancake" for breakfast--an airy delight! Also, we seem to get the greatest sleep when we stay there--it must be the sea air and the sound of the surf. Our next trip will probably be in October---just in time to do some storm-watching and take advantage of off-season rates--and yes, we'll be staying at Surftides.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Borgnine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Fairview, Oregon
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Me and my husband stayed here for our anniversary. Booked a room with a jacuzzi, fireplace and ocean view. We had a spectacular time. We definitely got what we paid for. Arrived at 2 even though check in is not til 4 we checked and our room was ready. Front desk service was great.

Room Tip: Plenty of space. Clean.
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 4 September 2011

we booked 2 rooms here, one oceanfront plus an adjoining partial view room. we also ordered dinner 'to go' from the restaurant, total spent for ONE night and 4 people was over $325 dollars! the room is nice, with a great ocean view (ive actually stayed here a few other times) but this time there were problems.... first of all the phone kept ringing all day randomly with no one on the other end. what the...? i called the front desk and the crabby dark haired older lady who checked is in, said the phone can NOT ring unless she puts a call through, and that she has not put any calls through to our room. ok so we must be crazy.. as soon as i hang up the phone with her it rings again and again :( i take the phone off the hook, so now the phone in our adjoining room starts ringing and ringing with no one there! 2 phones off the hook now, good thing for cell phones eh?. the toilets in BOTH rooms flush by themselves all day and all night for no apparent reason... why? who knew, so again we call the front desk to ask about this and the same crabby lady said that she would send someone to check it, no one ever came. hard to sleep with toilets loudly FLUSHING themselves the entire night, and we had a long drive the next day! my husband who was in construction said that the plumbing issue/flushing could be because the building is shifting, and has structural problems... nice! we are on a cliff here, so the whole night i pictured the entire Hotel falling into the ocean while we were in it :( the food was good, but the servers were as rude as the front desk crabby woman. the guest laundry does not have enough washers/dryers to accommodate this HUGE hotel and i spent most of the evening going back and forth trying to wash a load of clothes. many other people were also waiting and complaining, and not exactly how i wanted to spend my last night on the ocean :( i would not stay here again, and for this amount of $$$ i expect better... i couldnt WAIT to leave this place and of course crabby lady was @ the desk again when we checked out, good lord does anyone else work here?!?! she never said hello, good morning NOTHING, she was looking down the whole time, and barely acknowledged us at all.. she just took the keys, handed me a receipt without a word then turned away. so i said "NO.. i did not have a good stay, not that u care or bothered to ask and by the way YOU ARE RUDE, and u really dont belong in this kind of job.. in fact maybe u should get a job at a mortuary where that stupid sour look on ur face would make sense" she just glared at me and we left VERY DISAPPOINTED!

P.S. the beach access is a joke, we were @ the top on the north end, so you go down all the stairs then way down across the parking lot, down 2 more sets of stairs, then here and there and under the building? eeww creepy and dirty, then down another long stairway and finally you step onto the sand?? ugh!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank MoreMeows
Happy Valley, Oregon
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Booked hotel stay through Hotels.com. two weeks before travelling. Upon arriving I was told that my reservation could not be found ( I had all my hotels.com information with me). I was pushed to the end of the line and then finally told that after spending 3 hours in the car driving, now i needed to call hotels.com and find out what happened. I told them that they need to make the call as I did not have near as much interaction with hotels.com and did not even know where to start to make a call. I ended up spending over an hour in the lobby being passed over and mocked by the front desk attendant. I have never experienced such poor hospitality at an establishment in my life. I tried many times to reach the manager and was never called back by him. Emailed the owner and recieved an email back from him. I was never called directly and apologized to. My room was refunded, but it is almost as if the behavior of the front desk clerk (directly) and the manager (indiresctly, he did not get the information from hotels,com off the computer!) was completely ignored. I used to remember the surftides as a fun place to go as a child and wanted to share that experience with my daughter for Mothers Day. We had a nice time everywhere else except the Motel. I doubt I will return to the Surftides.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank StuCarlson
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 30 August 2011

I booked a two night stay at Surftides (8/27/11 - 8/29/11) for my Grandmothers 83rd birthday. I wanted to book somewhere with an ocean view, so that she could look out on the beach and watch the water since she has limited mobility. Check in at Surftides is at 4 PM (which in my opinion is a little late, considering their check out time is 11 AM). We arrived around 3:30 and were told that our room would not be ready for another half hour. The gentlemen that were working the front desk were very professional and used to the utmost respect when explaining to patrons that rooms were simply not ready (which is not their fault; however, they are the ones who take all the criticism.) Working in a customer service oriented field myself, I was very impressed with how these gentlemen (one of them had dreads and the other was tall with dark hair and dark skin, younger) handled the heat given from the impatient and irrational people.

We got to our room which was remotely accessible from the parking lot - so we didn't have to go up or down any stairs, which is exactly what we asked for when we booked. Our room was clean and the perfect amount of space for the two of us. The next day, the house keepers stopped by and replaced our towels, soaps, coffees, and took out our garbage. They asked my grandmother if she needed or wanted anything else and she said that everything was okay. (We do not need sheets changed everyday, as this is a waste when only staying two nights.) The gentleman from housekeeping was very friendly and professional as well.

The only reason I am giving this 3 starts instead of 5 are as follows: It was not pleasant to be able to hear the showers running in the room next to us, as they are very loud and unpleasant when trying to sleep in. Also, with being on the 3rd floor, the cement walkways carry any heavy footsteps, so children running and the housekeeping carts made quite a bit of noise as well. Pillows on beds were the size of accent pillows found on couches, instead of regular sized pillows found on most beds. We ordered breakfast from MIST and had it delivered to our room via room service and were disappointed to see that it came in a paper food carrier (eco friendly) lined with tin foil, which made it hard to use cutlery because we did not want pieces of foil in our food. We also did not receive any salt, pepper, or ketchup with our order. Overall, the food itself was good and the young woman who delivered was very friendly and apologized for the wait even though it didn't take long for the food to arrive at all. As I stated earlier, I think a check in time of 4 PM is a little later when check out is at 11 AM.

Would stay again, but plan on doing some price checking elsewhere with earlier check in times.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I booked three nights for the weekend at the last minute. I checked reviews after the fact and was really worried it wasn't going to be a decent place, but it was. What we liked best, as a family was the beach access... it's right there on the beach, which makes it easy if you have little ones. We've got a four year old and a two year old. We stayed in an updated room, but it was still a little shabby around the edges: old doors (bathroom door didn't lock), old vanity, broken down caulking in the bathroom. On the good side: The beds were really comfortable and everything was cleaned well when we got there. They won't service your room while you're there unless you ask them. We asked them for extra towels b/c we used the swimming pool and more coffee and they brought it, but best to catch someone on the cleaning staff when they're out cleaning rooms if you need something b/c they'll give it to you right there.

Would we stay again? Probably.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Pasco
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Sorry But I would not go back here we got there after 4 our room was not ready so we waited for 5 minutes, finally got in the room and we had to call for there were NO towels in the room. The bed was extremely hard...... Sand in the bed Really.... Dishes were dirty!!! I toook back to Decaf coffees in the morning stating that I did not want Decaf I wanted regular and what did I get in return ..... Two more Decafs NOT acceptable...... Went to the so called restaurant what a JOKE since when do the servers argue with the guest????? never heard of it before..... had a beer but waited around to get another one.... POOOOOOOOR service....

Would not suggest anyone go to either of these places.... Sorry just my oppinion.....

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple