“Would stay again..”

Surftides Lincoln City
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Lincoln City
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I booked a partial ocean view non smoking room with one king bed. This was a one night trip for myself and my young son for Mothers Day and beach play time. The cost of the room was $74 after tax - a steal for an ocean FRONT property. An actual oceanview/oceanfront room would have been $120+ at the Surftides for the night and since I hadn't planned on being in the room a lot, partial view was fine with me.

We arrived at the hotel early, around 1pm and was told the room was not ready yet - I didn't expect it to be since checkin is 4pm but thought I'd check anyway. The man at the front desk was very nice, wish I asked for his name.

So, my son and I went down to the beach. The access is very easy and a short trip down a flight of stairs and you're on the sand! The beach there was very nice. Plenty of room for the hotel guests to spread out, didn't feel like anyone was invading our space etc. It was a perfect 74degree day and no wind, loved it.

We went back up and were able to check in at 3:30pm. The room was 602, first floor of 600bldg. Not one of the remodeled ones of course. I would recommend asking for 2nd floor to get a tad more of a view. Evenso you could still see the ocean and hear the waves.

The room description on the website was:
Partial View Room, Single King Bed
This room is located in our 600 Building and offer a partial view of the ocean.This room is not an ocean front room. Pets are not allowed in the Pool Area, lobby, Area, or Fire Pits area.

I wasn't expecting more than that. However, I was pleasantly suprised when we got in the room and found a fridge/microwave, sink and some dishes, silverware etc. The bed was very comfy. Soft, but not too soft.

Good size table and chairs in the sitting area, we played board games all night and forgot to check out the firepits for smores...oh well, next time!

We ate at Mist that night, taking advantage of the $5.99 steak dinner. Not a lot of steak there. But you could order two I guess haha. The garlic mash was yummy. The creme brulee? AMAZING! Children's men -- $4 for: mac-cheese (not kraft, more homemade YUMMINESS), cheeseburger, don't remember what else.

Swimming pool - older but goes from 3ft to 9ft and is indoors so it was a hit.

Oh the rooms have Keurig coffee makers, 4 pods in room to use, you can buy more for $2 each at front desk- or bring your own. They serve Tully's coffee.

Overall === we had a great time and would stay there again.

the fan was not working in the bathroom, minor detail that did not detract from our stay. i mentioned it to the front desk upon checkout.

Room Tip: If in 600bldg, ask for 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 May 2012

We went to Surftides for our 20th Anniversary. Things could not have been much worse than they were. When we checked in to our room, the young man at the desk was having difficulty with everything and it took forever. We got to our room to discover the fireplace would not work. Instead of moving our room, we had to sit and wait for maintenance. He didn't fix the fireplace, he wiggled some wires until they sparked... this was the only way to make it work. As it was winter, the fireplace was a necessity, but it seemed a fire hazard. He no sooner left than the toilet wouldn't stop running. So, we had to wait for that to be fixed. The carpet hadn't been vacuumed when we arrived and the same dirt was on the floor when we left. The place was FILTHY.

The next day we returned to the room and it was unmade. They were annoyed that I wanted it made. It became evident that I had to do it myself. They change the linen every two days, unless they don't and they didn't -- after the third day, we left this hell hole.

Staff - was clueless and surly and uninterested. They had no restaurant recommendations. They had no interest in correcting problems.

Towels were the size of hand towels and paper thin. It was ridiculous.

Also, while the hotel sits on the beach, in spite of their advertising, you have to go down a flight of stairs.

It was the most disappointing stay EVER.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank F G
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We normally do not stay in Lincoln City. Depoe Bay is where we go, but wife got a groupon so we just spent two nights there.

Wife enjoyed the easy beach access. A lot easier than most of Newport ocean front places. Room was nice. great ocean view watched two sunsets. We used frig and microwave, which was good, though we prefer more of a kitchen when we are at coast.

I grew up near Newport, sort of remember the various stages of the Surftides. The funny looking pool cover most memorable. I had not realized full history though, started in 1930s had a few major changes, but still in a family ownership, though not original family. And I like going to family owned places.

Wifes vote, great for two night stay, but will probably get more of a kitchen for any longer stay. we don't eat out much.

Pillows were a bit too large. had to sleep on edges or use extra in hall closet

Front desk efficient but not real welcoming

Reviewed 9 May 2012

Our room was lovely - large, comfortable, nice balcony to enjoy the ocean. My bad rating is due to the bad customer service which transpired.
I had bought a groupon for one night and it was a getaway for my husband who had a stroke two and a half years ago. In the morning he awoke and said how free he felt to be out of his usual room in our house and he was sad to be leaving so soon.
I said I would check on prices for one more night.
So at 9am I went to the front desk and I asked the motel clerk if we could possibly get a good price on the second night at the rate of the groupon special that was two nights for $129. and she said yes they could do that. We were ecstatic!! I called work and told them we were staying an extra night and we got showered and ready for a day of touring.
Then I got a call from the front desk saying that we were scheduled for an 11 o'clock check out and why were we still in the room. I immediately went to the front desk to clear up the confusion.
That is when all mayhem broke out - long story short - they told us the motel clerk was incorrect to say we could get the room at the groupon price and we would have to pay $157. for an extra night - needless to say that was not the deal that I had agreed to nor would I have agreed to it. After much talk - they refused to honor the price that the clerk had told me and we had to pack up and leave as we could not afford the price they were now suggesting.
It was devastating and a poor show of customer service and of honoring their word as the clerk is their spokeswoman when she is in the capacity of front desk clerk. So we went down the road to PELICAN SHORES which is a smaller - less corporate establishment and found a room for $80.
The day was salvaged, but the bitter taste still lingers for Surftides.

8  Thank lauda3
Reviewed 8 May 2012

April 24th 2012 stayed at this hotel and found the rooms to be sapcious with an ocean view. The room had microwave, Kurig coffee maker, king bed, sofa and fire palce. The staff welcomed us and loked after our needs. The weather was not good with low clouds ann rain. After reading some comments about being outdated I thought we were in a different hotel as our rooms were very good and comfortable. There were nine of us at the Mist restaurant, all said the food was very good, with large portions, most had trouble finishing there meal. In the morning at no extra cost was breakfast, with juice, yogurt, bagels and fresh fruit. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank mbabane
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We were there the last three days of April and had a nice view of the ocean. No discount certificate was used on this. We had a fireplace in the room, but definitely did not need it. Despite the heat being shut off, the balcony door open and a box fan running 24 hours of the day (provide by the hotel), our room remained in the mid- to upper-70's at all times. The carpeting in the room was old and stained in places and they had yet to convert our room to a flat screen TV, The room next door, that I glanced into while it was being cleaned, did have one. Room was luck of the draw, i guess. Facilities were good, except sauna would not heat, steam room was closed and hot tub was very sandy. Pool was great. Restaurant was excellent, free coffee in main area and cookies at times. We might stay again if the broken stuff was repaired.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2012

We were given a certificate from groupon to get away to this resort. The rooms were a bit outdated, but comfortable with a table, desk, tv and kitchenette with microwave, sink, Kurig coffee machine and a fridge. We had a private balcony which was right over the sandy beach. Each evening we were given a courtesy call to check to make sure everything was going well and even an invite to join other guests for live entertainment in the lounge. The housekeeper even came in and washed our dishes for us and gave us fresh towels and changed the trash out. I was impressed with the recycling bin and an ipod docking alarm clock, which shows that they are doing what they can to be up to date. The beds were great, pillows soft and we slept with the balcony door cracked open to hear the ocean. The sound of the ocean drowned out noise from other guests, etc. There was a pool, but we hardly left our room. We were there to rest and rejuvenate, that is exactly what we did.

1  Thank Naders1977