“Surprise!”

Rio
Ranked #1 of 41 Restaurants in Madras
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: New restaurant in little Madras serving fresh, gourmet Mexican and tantalizing margaritas. The food is unusual, beautifully presented and the owner is a gem. Cost is very reasonable. Meals are quite large (enough for 2).
“Surprise!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

This place could compete with the top 5% of the restaurants in Portland. Probably the best Mexican food I have tasted...that includes San Diego.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Chuck M

Sisters, Oregon
“5 star meal in small rural town!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Just on the main drag (hwy runs through town) sits this small restaurant. Unassuming, clean, comfortable setting. But once you get your plate of food...WOW! somehow transported to one of the top restaurants in the Bay Area or New York! The presentation is just spectacular and the taste is divine. Mouth watering thinking about the 2 meals i've eaten there. Wish I'd asked if that was one particular chef...whoever is creating these dishes has some amazing skill. Definitely one of if not the best meal i've eaten in Central Oregon and I live here. Just a hidden jewel. Hope it stays this way.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank mjtrip1
Portland, Oregon
“Passing through Madras, a yummy spot!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Nice to the kids, great sauce & salsa. The chips were warm & the service was great. I would definitely stop again to break up the trip to Bend.

• Visited August 2014
Madras
“A unique and refreshing style of Mexican cuisine.”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Rio's is one of the best restaurants for Mexican cuisine that I have ever visited. Unique food and quaint setting. Don't miss it in Madras!

• Visited July 2014
Billings, Montana
“Great: Food, Service, Drinks”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My wife and I stayed the night in Madras, OR on our latest travels. After settling into our motel we checked on line for favorite restaurants in Madras. We checked TripAdvisor, Yelp, and UrbanSpoon. All three sites listed Rio as the Madras restaurant with the highest, or nearly the highest rating. We were greeted at the door by a friendly gentleman, I assume the owner, and seated by a hostess. The tables were dressed with black table clothes with comfortable chairs. There were fresh, home grown, flowers on each table although they had become wilted throughout the day.

The hostess immediately served us chips and salsa. The chips were the normal triangle shaped corn chips but their salsa tasted very good. The salsa was thin and spicy and unlike any I have tasted. It was very good. When our chips and salsa had been consumed they provided another plate of chips and bowl of salsa, gratis.

Rio has an extensive margarita and adult drinks menu, all of which looked delicious. For the fun of it we chose their 18 oz. special margarita to share between the two of us. It was delicious but maybe a bit too much for us. For dinner my wife ordered a "build your own" burrito with refried beans and rice. I ordered the Puerco Enmolado with black beans and rice. My wife's meal was served with rice and refried beans. When our meals arrived at the table the black beans were on my wife's dish and her refried beans were on my plate. But, not to worry, we just asked for a clean plate to make the "bean" trade. The Puerco Enmolado had a large helping of shredded pork drenched in mole sauce and garnished with a drizzle of sour cream in a pleasing design. The burrito presentation was less ornate and was just garnished with a small sprig of parsley and drizzled with sour cream.

The total cost of our meal, ex tip, was $36. Considering we consumed the equivalent of 4 - 5 drinks, the cost was quite acceptable to us. We would definitely return to this restaurant. The experience was enjoyable, the food was presented nicely, it tasted good, and the employees were friendly.

Rio's website is at: http://www.riomadras.com/ and shows their menu and photos of their plated meals.

• Visited June 2014