“Great place”
Review of Sunset Surf Motel

Sunset Surf Motel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Manzanita
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Location couldn't be better. Quiet. Great views. We were in the new building that was separate. I Have been here before in the older section and would come back again. It is nice to have the kitchenette even if you just use for bubbly and snacks.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I was very impressed with our accommodations, it was very clean and spacious. We prefer rooms that do not allow pets, since beach, sand and dogs can make a real mess. This was a non-dog room, and it was great.
We highly recommend Sunset Surf, and would definitely stay there again.

1  Thank Eivind C
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

I would recommend staying here, the location is perfect expecially on the second floors of buildings. For the price you can't beat it, the rooms are basic, they have been somewhat updated but still need a little help with decor. The room we stayed in was clean. My only problem was receptionist was not too friendly checking in, and I don't like all the hand printed signs which make a first impression not good. I feel there should be a bathroom in lobby if your room is not ready. The nearest restroom is 4 blocks away.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 7 October 2013

These are fairly priced rooms with a terrific ocean view in a quiet little town. The room we stayed in had been recently updated with a nice kitchenette, tv, and comfy bed. The view is a 10. The people who worked there were very friendly and helpful. We'd happily say there again.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We were so glad we chose Manzanita over the other choices, being high end& busy Cannon Beach or arcade, Vegas like Seaside. Yes, Manzanita doesn't have a lot for downtown but the beach is quiet, peaceful, clean and at your doorstep. However, the motel which is across the road from the huge beach, lacks warmth one likes on a holiday. Our room in the Budd Bldg on the 2nd floor was clean, had all amenities we needed but needed some warmth and modernizing besides the flat screen TV. The non-chalant attitude at the desk did not feel welcoming and set the stage for your stay. A lot of people in the area and at the hotel had dogs, which we didn't mind as we like dogs. The one pet peeve was the railing on the deck was old, huge and blocked the view for one sitting in a chair. I think I would make a different choice next time and yes, I know, it would cost more.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
JHKManzanita, General Manager at Sunset Surf Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

I would like to apologize for the non-welcoming experience of our desk staff. I will look into this issue you have stated and will be addressing it with our staff to help us improve. Also, you were spot on with our room furnitures, and I would like to let you know (based on reviews by our customers) we are currently undergoing furniture upgrades across all the Budd Building rooms this offseason and should be complete in time for the upcoming summer season. As always, we appreciate your feedback and will look to improve our amenities, staff, and service.

Sunset Surf Motel

Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is a (relatively) inexpensive motel in Manzanita. It's location in Manzanita is great, right across the street with an unobstructed view of theocean and close to the town, but there's not much to the town and the walkway for the main building disrupts any privacy from the room as people stomp by. A few of the rooms in the main building have sliding glass doors as the entrance, which is strange and somewhat inconvenient.

The room had a strange smell, I think the carpet being wet maybe? My husband described as wet baby diaper, whatever it was I was compelled to by a glade plug in, which doesn't please me on vacation. The room was reasonably clean but had some snot on the shower curtain( gross, but amazing how often this happens) thank god it was acurved shower rod!

Caret was worn, some paint was peeling, trim showed it's age...overall, realling showing it's age! Paper thin walls, kids kept calling our room ( accident or prank, not really sure or caring)

The girl at check in was somewhat sullen, this is obviously a family run business. I believe the bad reviews about service if the check in girl was any indication, these people are not professional enough to handle an unhappy customer.

I guess if you want cheap, this is good enough? I'll pay more to stay elsewhere happily.

Room Tip: Choose a second floor corner room with private balcony if you want any privacy and/or noise reductio...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2013

This place was an economy hotel with a great location. They were most accommodating, and lived up to my expectations. My suggestion; however, would be that this is not the best town to spend your time in, if you are traveling down the Oregon coast.

The shoreline is flat and without much to photograph; however, it is near othere places well worth the trip. The town is tiny, and not much going on.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manzanita
Coast Cabins
#1 of 8 in Rockaway Beach
Silver Sands Oceanfront Motel
Silver Sands Oceanfront Motel
#3 of 8 in Rockaway Beach

Been to Sunset Surf Motel? Share your experiences!