“Nothing would compel us to come back”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manzanita
Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Manzanita B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My husband and I consider ourselves to be friendly, personable people, and we felt that Mrs. Smigel was very difficult to engage in conversation. She behaves as though she is suspicious of everything, and you do feel as though you are being watched. The experience was a bit creepy to say the least.

We stayed in the Zen room, which looked bigger on the internet. In reality, our master bathroom at home is bigger. The most annoying aspect of our stay was hearing Mrs. Smigel use the bathroom and shower above us. She woke me up one evening taking her shower, and every morning when she walked above us. When she flushed her toilet, it sounded like the water was running down our wall. The home has obviously been remodeled to accomodate the two rooms that are for rent, and we couldn't help but notice the poorly
soundproofed walls, and the poor sheetrock and taping. The accoustics will certainly prevent any romantic thoughts!! My husband wanted to leave when we saw our room, and encountered Mrs. Smigel's curt behavior. I convinced him to stay because I thought we would have to forfeit our money. I now wish that we had left and stayed somewhere that we felt welcome and comfortable. Mrs. Smigel did manage to smile a few times by the end of our stay.

Room Tip: do not choose the Zen room
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank gourmetfoodgroupie
Mrs S, Manager at Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear Gourmetfoodgroupie,

I appreciate that you took the time to write a review.

I am sorry to hear that you did not feel comfortable here; I am not sure what I could have done to make you happier, but I did not know you were not enjoying yourselves. I thought you were having wonderful time. When I saw you going to the beach the first night you stayed, you told me your family came from Germany and it seemed we had a nice conversation.

In general, I try not to disturb my guests with my presence as most people like their privacy; perhaps that is why you thought I was not friendly.

It seems that the Zen Room accommodation did not come up to your expectations. It is true, you will hear other people in the house; it is not a hotel with soundproofed rooms. But you are staying on a very quiet street, adjacent to a pine forest and within a minutes' walk to the wonderful ocean beach.

For the price, you might find a place to stay that you like more, but I am not sure where. The best place to look is, of course, on Tripadvisor.

So I advise the reader to research the options very carefully as I want all my guests to feel happy on their vacation.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here last weekend and had a very relaxing time! It is a super quiet location as it is the last street in Manzanita, no homes across the street, and a short half block walk to the beach. Drive to the main street of town takes a couple of minutes, about 1.5 miles away. Could easily be walked too.
We stayed in the Hiroshige suite which was fantastic! It was nice to have a large hanging out space that wasn't in the bedroom. There was a large assortment of teas to enjoy in the suite. Ms Smigel's (hostess) British influence is definitely in the room as well as evidence of her travels.
The bedroom was nice with a very comfortable bed and great closet space.
We enjoyed our quick visits from Ms Smigel as she brought breakfast to our suite in the mornings. You get to choose your breakfast items from a menu the day before and you get to choose the time you'd like to enjoy breakfast. Choices were plentiful! Food was delicious!
We enjoyed the grounds, napping in the sun on one of the five chaise lounge chairs. There are a couple of bistro tables to enjoy a meal outside if you'd like. There is a cool jetted tub outside (does cost extra to use) that we didn't use...but looks relaxing.
We've stayed at a few places in Manzanita and this is now one of our favorites.
Ms Smigel, thank you so much for your hospitality!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank OregonPTgal
Mrs S, Manager at Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear OregonPTgal,

Thank you for your kind and informative review. I am very glad you liked staying here and were able to relax on the lounge chairs.

Yes, it is a nice walk along the beach to Manzanita, especially at low tide.

I enjoyed cooking breakfast for you and I look forward to your return.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast provided a great stay for us in Manzanita. The house is located right by the ocean and just steps away from a park. We hardly heard any traffic while staying there, a great reprieve. The rooms are cozy, clean and had everything we needed, including a good selection of tea and movies. Our hostesse was wonderful and made sure we were comfortable, as well as treated us to a great vegan breakfast, including homemade bread...delicious! The Zen Bath is definitely recommended, with its hot water and the cool breeze from the ocean it's a great place to relax in the evening.

A wonderful B&B with a great location, charming hostesse, and beautiful landscaping. We will definitely be returning for another stay!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Coast33
Mrs S, Manager at Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2013

Dear Coast33,

Thank you for your very kind review; I am happy that you liked it here and that you enjoyed the peaceful location, the food and the Zen Bath.

It was most enjoyable to meet you both and hope that you will stay here again whenever you need a vacation at the coast.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

The owner doesn't accept credit cards so we sent her a check. She sent lots of info about where to go and what to do in Manzanita and surrounding area, along with excellent directions to her place. Our room was at one end of a big house, with a bathroom and four season porch. There are lots of shared spaces outside; the hot tub, which we didn't use, and a lovely sunny spot to lounge and soak up sun. A menu was left out at night for us to choose our breakfast. Lots of food and well prepared. We couldn't see the ocean because there is a berm in the way, but it is only half a block walk. Very clean, very nice. Fresh matching bedding and wide screen tv with DVD player. I chatted with the owner a bit and she has the loveliest British (I think) accent. We felt right at home. This is a very secluded place. The other room shared the same porch with us. It was occupied but we never saw anyone.

Room Tip: We chose the smaller room and it fit us just fine.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisac221aa
Mrs S, Manager at Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2013

Dear Lisa221aa,

Thank you for your kind and informative review. It was very pleasant having you and your husband to stay here.

I am very glad you liked the breakfasts and that you enjoyed yourselves here.

We look forward to your return should you wish to escape to the beach again.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

We loved the peacefulness and tranquility of this place. We went for two long walks on the beach, which is only a few hundred yards away. The street is the last one in Manzanita and the Nehalem Bay State Park is right across the street, so it is a picturesque and quiet location. Breakfast was wonderful! We had oatmeal with bananas, fresh fruit, eggs cooked to order -- all on lovely china, plenty of good English tea, but topped off by the fabulous Kolache. Mrs . Smigel kindly shared her recipe with us.

Our hosts have had quite an interesting life and we really enjoyed talking with them. We certainly hope to return!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Bikingoma,

Thank you for writing such a nice review.

We are very happy that you enjoyed the peace here and that you liked the breakfasts.

We are also very glad you went for long walks on the beach and that you wanted to learn how to make Kolache. We hope it turned out well.

It was very memorable meeting you both and look forward to your return. More Kolache will be waiting for you.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

If you are looking to get away to the Oregon cost, this is the place. Mrs. Smigel was very attentive to our needs. No cable or phone, but that's the beauty of it. There is a flat screen TV but video's only. We have been there twice just for the peace and quiet. Right out front, it's a short walk to the beach. Only 2 rooms so not crowded at all. Hot tub in a Japanese setting only heightens the zen atmosphere.

Room Tip: One room is larger then the other and therefore is much more roomier.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hector A

Dear Hector A,

Thank you for your kind review. It was very nice to see you here again and I am very happy that you and your wife like the peace and quiet here.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights while on our honeymoon. The quality of service was excellent--Mrs. Smigel was invisible unless we wanted to see her, and the peace and quiet were very welcome. She also makes wonderful breakfasts with quality ingredients and is quick to provide anything you need.

The bed and breakfast is right on the coast, so within two minutes you can be on the beach, and it's also about a two-minute drive to the grocery store (though there are no cooking facilities, which is a given) if you want a snack. In the Hiroshige suite where we stayed, there was a small fridge, sink and supplies for tea and coffee, so we were set up well for light snacks. The suite was very clean and quiet, even when other people were around, and would be perfect for couples and single people looking for a good place to recharge as they enjoy the coast.

We loved it, and if we go back to the area we will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The Hiroshige suite is bigger, but both suites seem quite large compared to a traditional hotel suit...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Rachel S,

Thank you for writing such a nice review; it was a pleasure to have you and your husband to stay here.

Wishing you every happiness in your life together, we look forward to your return should you need accommodation in the future.

Mrs. S.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Manzanita
Coast Cabins
#1 of 4 in Manzanita
Surfside Resort
Surfside Resort
#1 of 8 in Rockaway Beach

Been to Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!