“Lovely accommodations near the beach”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manzanita
Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Manzanita B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Lovely accommodations near the beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

My wife and I have stayed at Zen Garden B&B a few times each year, since discovering the place in 2009. Its quiet location, its close proximity to the beach and to trails in Nehalem Bay State Park, its tastefully decorated and comfortable rooms (complete with shelves of interesting books to browse), and Mrs. Smigel's delicious breakfasts -- all compel us to return. Though the B&B lies beyond the summertime bustle of Manzanita's main street (which is itself quaint and quiet compared to crowded Cannon Beach), the village's eateries and shops are just a short drive or a moderate walk away. For us, Zen Garden B&B offers a restorative escape time and again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Bill M
Mrs S, Manager at Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear Bill M,

Thank you for your wonderful review; it is always a happy day when you and your wife make a reservation here.

Please come back soon,

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Mission, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

My husband and I stayed four nights at Zen Garden as part of longer Oregon trip. We stayed in the suite. We were originally uncomfortable sending a check to pre-pay for our stay, but it worked out fine.
We found the location in Manzanita very good for exploring the coast (hiking state park trails) and it is about 30 minutes drive to Seaside/Cannon beach. Manzanita itself has plenty of little shops and restaurants. The local grocery is pricey (as expected) but adequate. The beach at Manzanita is beautiful but windy. It is fine for a walk but we didn't spend much time there.
The suite bedroom was roomy and has an attached dressing room/closet to store luggage and hang clothing. The bathroom was adequate, there was no shortage of very hot water and soft towels. I'm glad we booked the suite as we enjoyed having the separate living space. It was roomy and comfortable. The rooms could use more sound proofing as we could here everything going on in the house, especially the plumbing. We however are early risers (in general) so this wasn't really a problem for us.
We liked having a few options to choose from for breakfast each morning, and our breakfasts were the best food we ate while on the coast. We ate in the courtyard which is protected from the wind. It was a lovely way to start each day. Mrs. Smigel is very nice just not as engaging as some B&B hosts. She was available and helpful when ask. Our rooms were attended to when we were away and she was in no way invasive. Mrs. Smigel noticed my husbands martial arts uniform soiled from class the previous day, hanging in the bathroom. Knowing it wouldn't dry out, she laundered and dried. This was very much appreciated since it saved us the time at a laundrymat. This kind action was over and beyond anything we could have expected from a host. We were very happy with our stay at Zen Garden B&B.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LAG0963
Dear LAGO963,

Thank you for your very kind review; it was a pleasure having you to stay here.

If you are ever in need of accommodation in the area again, please come back.

Deer Park, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

My husband and I consider ourselves to be friendly, personable people, and we felt that Mrs. Smigel was very difficult to engage in conversation. She behaves as though she is suspicious of everything, and you do feel as though you are being watched. The experience was a bit creepy to say the least.

We stayed in the Zen room, which looked bigger on the internet. In reality, our master bathroom at home is bigger. The most annoying aspect of our stay was hearing Mrs. Smigel use the bathroom and shower above us. She woke me up one evening taking her shower, and every morning when she walked above us. When she flushed her toilet, it sounded like the water was running down our wall. The home has obviously been remodeled to accomodate the two rooms that are for rent, and we couldn't help but notice the poorly
soundproofed walls, and the poor sheetrock and taping. The accoustics will certainly prevent any romantic thoughts!! My husband wanted to leave when we saw our room, and encountered Mrs. Smigel's curt behavior. I convinced him to stay because I thought we would have to forfeit our money. I now wish that we had left and stayed somewhere that we felt welcome and comfortable. Mrs. Smigel did manage to smile a few times by the end of our stay.

Room Tip: do not choose the Zen room
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank gourmetfoodgroupie
Mrs S, Manager at Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear Gourmetfoodgroupie,

I appreciate that you took the time to write a review.

I am sorry to hear that you did not feel comfortable here; I am not sure what I could have done to make you happier, but I did not know you were not enjoying yourselves. I thought you were having wonderful time. When I saw you going to the beach the first night you stayed, you told me your family came from Germany and it seemed we had a nice conversation.

In general, I try not to disturb my guests with my presence as most people like their privacy; perhaps that is why you thought I was not friendly.

It seems that the Zen Room accommodation did not come up to your expectations. It is true, you will hear other people in the house; it is not a hotel with soundproofed rooms. But you are staying on a very quiet street, adjacent to a pine forest and within a minutes' walk to the wonderful ocean beach.

For the price, you might find a place to stay that you like more, but I am not sure where. The best place to look is, of course, on Tripadvisor.

So I advise the reader to research the options very carefully as I want all my guests to feel happy on their vacation.

Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here last weekend and had a very relaxing time! It is a super quiet location as it is the last street in Manzanita, no homes across the street, and a short half block walk to the beach. Drive to the main street of town takes a couple of minutes, about 1.5 miles away. Could easily be walked too.
We stayed in the Hiroshige suite which was fantastic! It was nice to have a large hanging out space that wasn't in the bedroom. There was a large assortment of teas to enjoy in the suite. Ms Smigel's (hostess) British influence is definitely in the room as well as evidence of her travels.
The bedroom was nice with a very comfortable bed and great closet space.
We enjoyed our quick visits from Ms Smigel as she brought breakfast to our suite in the mornings. You get to choose your breakfast items from a menu the day before and you get to choose the time you'd like to enjoy breakfast. Choices were plentiful! Food was delicious!
We enjoyed the grounds, napping in the sun on one of the five chaise lounge chairs. There are a couple of bistro tables to enjoy a meal outside if you'd like. There is a cool jetted tub outside (does cost extra to use) that we didn't use...but looks relaxing.
We've stayed at a few places in Manzanita and this is now one of our favorites.
Ms Smigel, thank you so much for your hospitality!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank OregonPTgal
Mrs S, Manager at Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Dear OregonPTgal,

Thank you for your kind and informative review. I am very glad you liked staying here and were able to relax on the lounge chairs.

Yes, it is a nice walk along the beach to Manzanita, especially at low tide.

I enjoyed cooking breakfast for you and I look forward to your return.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast provided a great stay for us in Manzanita. The house is located right by the ocean and just steps away from a park. We hardly heard any traffic while staying there, a great reprieve. The rooms are cozy, clean and had everything we needed, including a good selection of tea and movies. Our hostesse was wonderful and made sure we were comfortable, as well as treated us to a great vegan breakfast, including homemade bread...delicious! The Zen Bath is definitely recommended, with its hot water and the cool breeze from the ocean it's a great place to relax in the evening.

A wonderful B&B with a great location, charming hostesse, and beautiful landscaping. We will definitely be returning for another stay!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Coast33
Mrs S, Manager at Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
Dear Coast33,

Thank you for your very kind review; I am happy that you liked it here and that you enjoyed the peaceful location, the food and the Zen Bath.

It was most enjoyable to meet you both and hope that you will stay here again whenever you need a vacation at the coast.

Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

The owner doesn't accept credit cards so we sent her a check. She sent lots of info about where to go and what to do in Manzanita and surrounding area, along with excellent directions to her place. Our room was at one end of a big house, with a bathroom and four season porch. There are lots of shared spaces outside; the hot tub, which we didn't use, and a lovely sunny spot to lounge and soak up sun. A menu was left out at night for us to choose our breakfast. Lots of food and well prepared. We couldn't see the ocean because there is a berm in the way, but it is only half a block walk. Very clean, very nice. Fresh matching bedding and wide screen tv with DVD player. I chatted with the owner a bit and she has the loveliest British (I think) accent. We felt right at home. This is a very secluded place. The other room shared the same porch with us. It was occupied but we never saw anyone.

Room Tip: We chose the smaller room and it fit us just fine.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisac221aa
Mrs S, Manager at Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
Dear Lisa221aa,

Thank you for your kind and informative review. It was very pleasant having you and your husband to stay here.

I am very glad you liked the breakfasts and that you enjoyed yourselves here.

We look forward to your return should you wish to escape to the beach again.

Medina, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013 via mobile

We loved the peacefulness and tranquility of this place. We went for two long walks on the beach, which is only a few hundred yards away. The street is the last one in Manzanita and the Nehalem Bay State Park is right across the street, so it is a picturesque and quiet location. Breakfast was wonderful! We had oatmeal with bananas, fresh fruit, eggs cooked to order -- all on lovely china, plenty of good English tea, but topped off by the fabulous Kolache. Mrs . Smigel kindly shared her recipe with us.

Our hosts have had quite an interesting life and we really enjoyed talking with them. We certainly hope to return!

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Bikingoma,

Thank you for writing such a nice review.

We are very happy that you enjoyed the peace here and that you liked the breakfasts.

We are also very glad you went for long walks on the beach and that you wanted to learn how to make Kolache. We hope it turned out well.

It was very memorable meeting you both and look forward to your return. More Kolache will be waiting for you.

Mrs. S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manzanita
Coast Cabins
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,728 reviews
Sunset Surf Motel
Sunset Surf Motel
#1 of 4 in Manzanita

Been to Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!