“Pac NW get away”
Review of Coast Condos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manzanita
Coast Condos
San Antonio, Texas
“Pac NW get away”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

As shared by others, although the condo/lofts location is closer to the beach than the cabins the noise factor was noticeable. The decor was beautiful and the walk to the beach was convenient, on site parking was a def plus. If given the opportunity again, I would likely opt for the cabins versus the condo experience.

Room Tip: Loft 9 was recommended as being the farthest from "the main drag" and there was some notic...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Wilsonville, Oregon USA
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We wanted to visit Manzanita since we live in the Portland area and it would be a close drive. My husband read the wonderful reviews about Coast Cabins and thought we should try it out. Their cabins were booked so instead we took one of their condos on Laneda Avenue. It was a terrible experience. Laneda is the main street in Manzanita and has traffic that is so loud! Cars park under the windows and leave the engines running and the smell of the exhaust is toxic! People talk right underneath the windows and you can hear every word. During the early morning delivery trucks bring in supplies-- again the exhaust fumes/noise is terrible. If you are an early to bed person the late night traffic will keep you up and if you are a late sleeper the early morning traffic will wake you up. The condos do not have housekeeping services on a daily basis. I didn't know that when I booked it. I really enjoy staying in a place that I feel pampered and have someone else doing the bed and having fresh towels every day. I have never stayed in a luxury place that had a toilet bowl brush and a toilet bowl plunger ready for use. The mirror in the bathroom was small and since I wear glasses I always need a magnifying mirror to do my makeup I missed having one which seems to be in all the hotels I stay in. The radiant heating in the floors was inconsistent--I have it at home and love the feel of warmth in the morning. I turned it on in the bathroom but it always turned off by itself and was cold in the morning. The living room never seemed to come on. The bed was wonderful and sheets were ironed as mentioned for the cabins. The teflon cookware wasn't the best --I never use teflon--I wished I had brought my favorite stainless steel frypan with me. People were very nice that we talked with. The Spa was relaxing and exercise room great. The pub across the street has delicious sweet potato fries and the grocery store just up from the condo had great stuff. The person taking our reservation should have been more forthcoming about the differences between the cabins and condos. I had said I wanted quiet. She said since it wasn't the weekend it would be okay. I don't think the web page really gives the complete story about the two. I would have rented other places that were beachfront and had more to offer than this location.

Room Tip: Maybe the condo in the back of the complex would have been less noise--don't know but won't...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ahna2
CoastCabinsManzanita, Manager at Coast Condos, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Dear Ahna2,

Really? Bait and switch? We DO NOT bait and switch our guests. We are ethical business people. The subject of your review infers that we intentionally tricked you and we would never do that.

Had you booked a cabin and we unapologetically placed you into a condo upon arrival, then that would be a "bait and switch." We offer these privately owned vacation rental condos in addition to our offerings. As our cabins were booked, it is you who decided to take a condo. This was not a bad choice. These private homes are very nice and offer guests the experience of living in a small town urban setting without spending a half million dollars + for ownership. We feel that the nightly rental rate represents an exceptional value for the quality these relatively new homes deliver.

We're always open to suggestion, but feel we have taken more than adequate steps to separate the properties within our marketing materials and telephone etiquette. Clicking the accommodations link on our site shows the two properties, one can then click further for individual unit descriptions. On the telephone, the location was explained to you and you were told that the pub across the street- the main street of town- often has live music on weekends. The front desk could not have been any clearer about the location without arranging a site visit prior to your reservation. We want potential guests to know that the condos can be lively; tavern across the street, street noise, pedestrians & shops below, etc... Our staff takes great diligence in being clear to this fact. We frankly don't know if there will be a morning delivery to the market (which you mentioned was so convenient during your stay), or to the tavern (who's sweet potato fries you found to be so delicious).

You neglect to mention that daily housekeeping service from the main property was offered to you and that your husband declined stating that you would prefer not to be disturbed. Had you asked for stainless cookware during your stay, it would have been delivered from the cabins as our staff is there to serve, regardless of the property booked. We can only attribute the radiant heating issues you experienced to operator error as the system checks out fine and the bathroom was left at 90º upon your departure. It takes time for the slab to warm or cool so one must be patient with radiant - small signs by each thermostat explain this detail.

We noticed you only gave us 3 stars for cleanliness. Our housekeepers love their jobs and take great pride in their work. If anything was missed, housekeeping would happily have cleaned the condo once again- had you simply notified us during your stay, or requested the daily service that you declined. TripAdvisor reviews after the fact cannot go back in time and make your experience better.

We're glad to hear that you enjoyed complimentary access to our fitness center, we're happy to provide free access to both Cabins and Condo guests. It's a wonderful facility for our guests and locals alike.

We do hope to host you at our cabins one day. We feel that the level of service at the cabins will likely be better suited to your needs.

Regards,

Pawel & Gary
proprietors
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2013

The coast cabins were highly recommended by our Portland friends, who stay there whenever they visit Manzanita. However, because we were traveling with my father, we opted for the two-bedroom Coast Condos and we were not too disappointed. We stayed in #7, above a pet shop, facing Laneda Rd and across from the pub.

The condos are very light, airy and comfortable. We were there over a long holiday weekend in February. The weather was unseasonably sunny, bright, with a few afternoon showers. One day we even saw a full rainbow looking out from the living room window. The condos have heated, radiant floors which make the living spaces comfortable and warm. We always took our shoes off at the top of the stairs and left them in the foyer before entering the rest of the condo. There is nothing more comforting than stepping out of the shower or out of shoes and feeling the warmth of the heated floors underneath your feet.

The condos were very clean, minimally decorated and well stocked with better-than-average appliances and kitchen tools. The main bedroom has its own bathroom with bathtub. The other bedroom is smaller and does not have its own bathroom. The second bathroom is off the main hallway with a small shower and a washer and dryer. I was relieved to see the washer and dryer and even more pleased to see several containers of detergent. Whether they were left over from previous tenants or by the Coast Cabins folks, I do not know, but I appreciated them very much. We used the washer/dryer couple times during our stay.

The living room, dining room, and kitchen occupy one big open space with plenty of natural light, tall ceilings and a loft-like feel. Off from this one big room there is a small balcony with a grill and trash can (facing the back of the building), and another small balcony with an iron patio table and chairs (facing Laneda). We didn't use either of these balconies because it was rather cold/wet in February.

What I especially liked about the Coast Cabins was that, rather than staying in separate hotel rooms, it allowed my husband and I to spend time with my father in the common areas, while we had our privacy in our bedrooms. While my husband and I read, my father sat at the dining table reading or doing computer work. When we wanted to take a nap, we could excuse ourselves to our bedroom, rest and then rejoin the group in the living room. When we wanted to have breakfast, it was easy to run over to the bakery next door, pick up some bread, run over to the deli across the street for cheese and other provisions, and then share a meal at the dining table. We ended up eating lunch out at the pub across the street (their fish tacos are delicious!) or driving to Cannon Beach and trying different restaurants each day. For dinner, if we didn't want to go out and my father was already in bed (he goes to bed really early), my husband and I nibbled on cheese, fruits, nuts and bread while enjoying a bottle or two of wine purchased from the deli across the street. We enjoyed this very much. It was like being at home, but without the distractions that you have at home. This setup makes the Coast Condos an ideal venue for families traveling together. I am sure it would have worked nicely for two couples as well, but then you must fight over who gets the bigger room with the bathroom/tub attached.

The only complaint we had about the Condos was the noise from the pub across the street. Saturday night they had a Led Zeppelin wanna-be band that was incredibly loud. Unfortunately, the pub's walls are not soundproof and the walls of the Coast Condos must be made of matchsticks. It looks nice but it's cheap construction, typical in the U.S., and noise travels readily through the walls, the windows and heavy drapes. When people walk on Laneda and talk, get out of their cars and talk, their voices travel through and up into the Condo. Saturday night was the only night that we felt like we were sleeping above a garage where a bunch of teenagers were trying to form a band. The live music also drew a bigger crowd and, because the walls of the Coast condo are so flimsy, we could hear people walking on the sidewalk, getting in and out of their cars, taking a smoke break in front of the pub, etc. It was a horrible night. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, this shouldn't be a problem, but if you're a light sleeper or not a big loud-music-until-midnight type of person, avoid staying here when a live band is playing at the pub. Or else go across the street and enjoy the music with a pint of beer and the fish taco (or burger) instead of trying to sleep. When we asked the pub, they said that they usually have live music on Saturdays, sometimes on Friday (during the high seasons), and occasionally when performers go through town. Check ahead or bring earplugs for the evenings, if you go to bed before midnight.

I would recommend this Condo for families, as stated above, or for couples traveling together. Again, Saturday night was the only loud, restless sleep night, but other than that, it was 'relatively' quiet the rest of our stay. Perhaps a midweek stay would be quieter than a weekend stay. When we return to Manzanita, my husband and I may try the cabins; they seem quieter and they are not right in the 'heart of Manzanita action- the pub. However, everything is within walking distance in Manzanita, and the coast condos are only a few blocks from the beach, whereas the coast cabins are a bit farther in, near Highway 101. If you do stay in Manzanita, try the Vino bar on Laneda and 4th. It's a cute wine bar with decent food and Portland-ish art on the walls. The vegetarian lasagna I had was surprisingly delicious and filling. It was served with a small salad and bread. I would definitely go back there again the next time we're in Manzanita to try more of their wines and other food options. One last item, the Condos are not serviced daily. This wasn't a problem for us; in fact, we preferred it. But then we were all adults, cleaned up after ourselves, were only there for three nights and put our used towels in the washer when we left. If you don't want to do any servicing or cleaning and you want the Condos to be serviced daily during your stay, you must request it.

Room Tip: Two units face Laneda and the pub and two units face the parking lot. If you are concerned about no...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I had given up on vacationing at the Oregon Coast. Was tired of musty smelling dwellings decorated with sand dollar paintings. I'm so glad that I stumbled across this place. I stayed in Condo #7 for two nights and was incredibly happy with my experience. The furnishings are top notch. Location can't be beat. I told them that I was bringing my bulldog and when we got there they not only had doggy bowls and bed, but also doggy towels and sheets. Front room was spacious and had great natural light. I really appreciated all the little things. Spare umbrellas, flash lights etc. My wife and I now have a go-to place on the Oregon Coast. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Condo #7 was smaller than some of the other units, but you wouldn't know it.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Bremerton, WA
Reviewed 12 October 2012

We had an OK time but there were a few issues. I'm not sure we will be back; there are a lot of other options. We've stayed @ Coast Cabins either 3 or 4 times - always Condo 6 - since 2005 or so. We make 1 to 2 weekend or mid-week off-season trips to the coast per year to relax & unwind.

This is the first weekend stay for us @ Manzanita. We usually take advantage of the less expensive mid-week rates. In the past we really liked the peace and quiet. The weekend - at least this weekend - was the opposite of peace and quiet. There was quite a bit of street traffic - cars and pedestrians - on Laneda Ave. The weather was fantastic and it was a holiday (Columbus Day) weekend - so increased traffic would be reasonable.

The really bad part was the bar across the street. On Friday night there were a number of patrons outside on the street making quite a racket. Sounded like they were having fun. On Saturday night... Oh my. They had a live band who fancied themselves the 2nd incarnation of Led Zeppelin. They went at it at full volume until 11:30 or so. It was unbelievably loud even with all the windows closed.

Other than that - we noticed the following. Individually, none of these was a big deal really. It just seemed kind of cumulative.

The patio furniture - table and chairs - next to the grille. It might have been nice to use them but they are badly rusted to the point of being non-functional. I would be afraid of getting cut on the rusty metal. These should be replaced or removed.

The door to the other patio doesn't lock - its frozen. Probably salt corrosion. Might just need some oil. Not a big deal - didn't seem like anyone would crawl in via the deck.

The fireplace didn't work. The wall control appears to function but it doesn't light the fire. Not a problem because it was really warm most of the time. Of course, to cool off the place means leaving windows open - which means more noise.

Coffee grinder doesn't work.

Some of the walls could use a cleaning or better yet a quick coat of paint.

The grille is very nice - so nice I bought a Weber after using yours the last time we stayed. However, the grate was pretty filthy (normal) and I could not find a grille brush anywhere.
Some of the pans could be replaced - worn / peeling Teflon. Not a big deal because I brought my favorite pan with me. Love the kitchen overall.

The most annoying issue (aside from the "Led Zeppelin" concert) was there was no hot water on our first night there. Not a drip, drop, or ounce. We noticed this around 7pm when we tried to pour a bath. The water was cold, no matter how long we let it run. We checked again later in the evening and there was no change - still cold. I left a message with the office that night. We hadn't run the dishwasher or used any hot water since we arrived around 4pm or so; it's not like we used it up.

The next morning we checked and had all of the hot water we could want, and had no further issues during our stay. I really have no idea why there was no hot water the first night, and the person I spoke to the next day said no repairs had been made. I'm really glad it was resolved by Saturday morning, but it wasn't a good relaxing feeling Friday night knowing we had a problem to deal with.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brent223
CoastCabinsManzanita, Manager at Coast Condos, responded to this review, 3 March 2013
Dear Brent 223,

Thank you for taking the time to thoroughly critique your weekend stay with us last October. We do appreciate your feedback, but wish you had expressed your suggestions and requests during your stay. Nevertheless, please accept our apologies that the stay did not exceed expectations. The Sand Dune Pub does occasionally play live music on weekends that can go well into the night. We do disclose this everywhere applicable to the marketing and booking of this vacation rental property. As a return guest to this particular home, we would think that you would be aware of it's location and the proximity to the local pub. The location appeals to those who wish to be in the heart of the village, but is certainly not ideal for all. As managers of this vacation rental home, we make no apologies for the occasional live music at the pub. It can be lively, guests will either love it or hate it, depending on who you ask. The Sand Dune Pub has been there for over a hundred years whereas these condo homes are relatively new.

Secondly, the hot water. We did attempt to contact you after getting your after hours message. We assumed you were enjoying yourself as we did not hear back. We are not sure why there was no hot water for you- the system is interlinked with the radiant in-floor heat and checked out fine after your departure. You mention that the unit was very warm, so it is possible that if the heat was turned up very high, the hot water supply could have been temporarily affected as the system uses the hot water to heat the floors. We would have unquestionably found you an alternate accommodation if the home you were in had no hot water. We're happy to hear that you did, eventually, have all the hot water you wanted.

Third, the rusted chairs. Yes, they were slightly rusted and have since been removed. Outdoor furniture deteriorates quickly at the coast so note to the owner- no metal patio furniture!

Last, everything else that was wrong. We wish that you had contacted us with your complaints during your stay. Had you let us know that you could not find a grill brush, needed a new coffee grinder, that the fireplace pilot went out and that housekeeping perhaps missed the walls, these items would have been immediately resolved. We would have happily demonstrated how to lock the three-point system patio doors - which operate beautifully. Our staff takes great pleasure in being available to our guests without being intrusive. If you cannot find something you think should be there or if something breaks during your stay or you don't quite know how something works or the off chance that housekeeping has missed something, calling the front desk will fix the problem and usually right then. That is what we are there for and it is our pleasure to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Online reviews after the fact cannot go back in time and bring you a grill brush...

You are correct Brent 223, there are a lot of other options for coastal accommodations out there and after you give them a go, we do hope that you will return and try us once again.

Until next time,

Pawel, Gary, & Staff
Your hosts
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We stayed in Condo #6 (faces the street and the pub) on Monday through Wednesday. Noise was minimal and after 10 pm, mostly quiet. I checked the pub's website before booking to make sure no bands were booked for the time we were there. Everything about this place is really high quality -- from the wool carpet in the bedrooms and the Bosch dishwasher to the clear cedar trim and wood windows. Very tastefully decorated and super clean. Beds -- wow, comfy, comfy. We loved the extra space of two bedrooms and large great room. Wifi was irritatingly slow. But maybe that was a good thing. We should be on the beach -- not checking email. The gas fireplace didn't work on our arrival, but the host came promptly and made it right with a simple fix. We felt very at home here and could envision a longer stay.

Room Tip: Check the across-the-street pub's website to see if there are any bands booked for the nights of...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Coast condos are perfectly located in the charming seaside town of Manzanita Oregon which has a wonderful beach and is a short distance from spectacular hiking. The condos sit on top of a spa, gym, and pet accesory store. Head out the front of the complex and you are staring at the main pub in town, go to the left two blocks and you have the ocean, head right and you hit the grocery stores and other small boutiques. The area can get lively on summer weekend evenings.

The condos themselves are very clean, modern, and tastefully and creatively decorated. Most suprising was the well stocked kitchen -- you could cater a large event and have every possible tool you needed at your disposal. The high ceilings make an already larger space feel even larger and the apartment is well lit.

The only draw back is the heating. Like some of the other reviewers have mentioned the heat works through the floor and we couldn't figure out how to turn it down and/or off. The dial on the heating was very confusing and didn't seem to respond. It wasn't a big deal, we just opened the windows, but if you had valueables in the condo, you might not want to leave windows open.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HSC0306
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manzanita
Coast Cabins
#2 of 14 in Cannon Beach
Sunset Surf Motel
Sunset Surf Motel
#1 of 4 in Manzanita

Been to Coast Condos? Share your experiences!