“Great Hotel take you back in time” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of McMenamins Hotel Oregon

McMenamins Hotel Oregon
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in McMinnville
St Andrews, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel take you back in time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

The rooms are very cool. One is supposed to be haunted but not the one I had. Enjoyed the visit and the roof top bar is great. Well positioned in the center of McMinnville and all you would expect from a Wild West Hotel. Creaky floorboards and no TVs. Just what you need. Very enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Chris M, Manager at McMenamins Hotel Oregon, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for your refview! So glad you had a good time, creaky floors and all!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Mercer Island, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

What a great experience! I've been hearing about McMenamin's hotels and pubs forever and finally got a chance to experience one of them. It was pretty close to what I expected.

I knew that there would be communal bathrooms so it was no big deal. I realized each time that I used the bathroom (which needed an access card to keep out pub patrons) how perfect is was that my husband didn't have to sit outside in the room each time. I usually had the three-stall, two-shower, two-sink bathroom to myself and rarely ran into anyone. I think I will start looking out for communal bathrooms. The only thing I would suggest is to make sure you bring some type of bathroom tote. If you're like me, you throw a few handfuls of stuff in your suitcase and then realize you have to get all those separate bottles to the bathroom in one trip.

Rooms were a little small but, again, I was expecting this from a hotel that was over 100 years old. We missed the big UFO weekend but there were still residual signs and merchandise around town that soon disappeared. Like a UFO would. Maybe the aliens were buying them all up.

The Red Fox bakery is right next door if you need a good cup of coffee. Cornerstone Cafe is a short walk away. Both places make lattes the old-fashioned way so don't expect a fast-food, Starbucks turnaround. These lattes are worth waiting for.

I would definitely return and will make sure to visit some of the other McMenamins hotels.

Room Tip: There is a rooftop pub and they provide earplugs but I never needed them. A/C needs to be turned up...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Chris M, Manager at McMenamins Hotel Oregon, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your review! So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay!
Coatesville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Upon arriving at the hotel, we were skeptical because it looks kind of shabby and knick knacky, but quickly realized this was the charm of the historic building. The hallways and artwork were fascinating to explore. My husband and I got the European style room (shared bathroom), and it was very small, but also very cute. They give you robes to walk down the hall to shared bathrooms, which were very clean, large and empty. We slept well, and I really don't have any complaints about this hotel. Will be recommending to friends.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Chris M, Manager at McMenamins Hotel Oregon, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
So glad to hear you love this beautiful old hotel as much as we do!! Come see again soon!
Metolius, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here a few years ago and I wasn't impressed with the uncomfortable beds. However, that has changed! We recently spent 3 nights there and loved it! He ate breakfast in the restaurant each morning and we ate dinner at the Roof Top Bar. Good food and beer!They have two Happy Hours. Housekeeping was pleasant and helpful. We look forward to going again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks so much for your review! We are glad to hear you enjoyed all that we had to offer, and we look forward to your next visit!
Roseburg, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Stayed here one night Sunday, April 27, 2014. My husband and I chose a room with a bathroom, total costs $115.00 + tax . Our room was called "Les and Mattie Hanna" #307. It was a small room overlooking the main street in downtown McMinnville with a great view. In typical McMenamins fashion, our room had no television or closet but I like this. The room did have an armoire for clothing and bathroom had an original claw foot tub - which was wonderful to see. The room also had gorgeous original crown molding details and wood floors - it was special and old.
Now, about the disappointing feature. We came to this hotel to get our McMenamins Passport stamps at the hotel, but found out quickly that the Cellar Bar was only open Friday and Saturdays!! Despite the fact we traveled over 150 miles to stay here, the front desk staff was unwilling to accommodate us. So be careful when you select your days to visit this hotel for the much needed stamps.
Fun bonus features: Rooftop Bar - it overlooks the city of McMinnville. Also: free live music. While eating dinner the Lee Koch Trio performed and they were spectacular.
McMenamins Hotels may be a little pricier than other hotels but the added details and features make it worth the extra costs.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the main street for a gorgeous view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OregonProud7
Chris M, Manager at McMenamins Hotel Oregon, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Thank you for your review! And thank you for the reminder to all of our Tripsters that many of our small bars have limited days or hours, so please remember to check those as you continue on your quest!
Portland, oR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

For not even a sink in a small room, $90 seems a little steep. Brochure (even the one in our room) & website both said there was a pool table & no pets allowed. While we were eating breakfast we saw a bull dog wandering through the lobby. If i'd have known dogs could stay, i would've asked for one of their pet-free rooms. Also went to all floors looking for the pool table, only to discover it had been replaced by shuffle board. Yawn! Main elevator also serves as food service transport - we had tator tots stuck to our shoes. Waiter in Cellar was rushing people out, as it was close to end of shift. One exception was Danielle in main floor restaurant (Paragon) - she was a great bartender, efficient, friendly and very hard-working, while her co-workers were standing around. (Some, even sitting down!) Overall not terrible but not great.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Kimbo-SPDX
Thank you for your review! Although our website does talk about the shuffleboard and our pet friendly rooms, I appreciate your alerting us for the need to correct our in room materials!
Portland, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Oregon for our anniversary last year. I wish we still lived in Oregon so we could stay there again this year. It is not a super romantic place to stay, but it is very unique. There are several restaurant and pubs on site with good drinks and okay food. The location is great; you can walk around to many other shops and cafes. We stayed in a small room and had to use the shared bathroom facilities... we didnt mind that much, but I can see how that may bother some. I found it interesting and gave it a very old-fashioned vibe. We stayed on a Saturday night and since we were on the top floor it was rather noisy because the roof-top bar was right above us. The decor and history is fabulously creepy as many others have mentioned. I would not stay here overnight with my kids. They wouldn't fancy the bathrooms or the decor. Overall, this hotel is certainly not for everyone but we loved it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Chris M, Manager at McMenamins Hotel Oregon, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thanks for your review! We are glad to hear your enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit!
Also consider these accommodations in or near McMinnville
Comfort Inn & Suites McMinnville
Red Lion Inn & Suites McMinnville
GuestHouse Vineyard Inn McMinnville
McMinnville Inn
McMinnville Inn
#5 of 6 in McMinnville
BEST WESTERN Newberg Inn
Youngberg Hill Vineyards & Inn

Been to McMenamins Hotel Oregon? Share your experiences!