“Don't Miss This One”

Ranked #4 of 8 McMinnville B&B and Inns
Seattle
“Don't Miss This One”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

If you love pinot noir and in general good wine, you'll want to add wine tasting in the Willamette Valley to your bucket list. Dundee Oregon is in the center of some of the best areas to wine taste. There's a few hotels in the area but if you really want a top notch place to stay and you've always wanted to try a Bed & Breakfast, the Mattey House is one you'll not want to miss! We spent a weekend here and I can't remember a better Bed & Breakfast experience! First of all Jack and Denise are the perfect hosts. I remembered when we arrived that there were no televisions in the room so I was afraid of going through Olympics withdrawals but Jack as a proud British host kept the guests apprised of the latest news on the Summer Olympics entertaining us all at breakfast with tales of his homeland.

We arrived on probably the hottest weekend of the summer...after feeling a little extra warm in our room the first night I mentioned this to Denise the next morning and they kept on the air conditioning all night our second night to ensure that the guests stayed cool---noting the size of the house I'm sure this was no small expense. Jack was very helpful in recommending and making dinner reservations. Denise's breakfasts were large, multi-course with local fresh ingredients and the best I've ever experienced at a Bed and Breakfast.

Mattey House with its beautiful view of the vineyard out front and its central location to the best wineries in the area is a place you shouldn't miss---you'll come back for more!

Room Tip: Good descriptions online of the different rooms. Loved our Pinot Noir room even though it didn'...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

We spent a full week using the Joseph Mattey house as our base for exploring wine country and other local attractions. It's centrally located and the hosts Denise and Jack help to maximize your enjoyment by providing advice and directions, making reservations and providing helpful contacts at wineries and restaurants. They work hard.

The house is clean and tastefully decorated, and the grounds provide lovely views of their private vineyard. The breakfast menu can't be beat. Coffee is ready early, fruit dishes and scones serve as the first course, and Denise's creative main courses will leave your stomach ready for tasting Pinot all morning. When you get back they have cookies, lemonade and an eclectic collection of music to set the mood for planning your dinner in the valley.

Don't bother looking elsewhere. This is the place to go.

Room Tip: We preferred the front rooms for the view of the vineyard.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Walt M
Seaside, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

Jack and Denise were lovely, the estate was beautiful and the breakfast was delicious!!! Highly suggest this place for anyone passing through! My husband and I were passing through on our honeymoon and they surprised us with a little bottle of wine and a wonderful card to the "bride and groom".... so thoughtful!! My only regret is that we didn't spend more time there!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sara P
sacramento
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

I only stayed at the Mattey House one night as I made my way from The San Juan Islands to Sacramento, CA, but it was very clean and very comfortable. I made my reservation at the last minute but Jack and Denise were very gracious and took me right in. The home is beautiful, inviting, spotlessly clean, and I just felt as if I were coming home. It was just me in the house and I didn't want them to go out of their to make me a breakfast, but in the morning I awoke to the smell of freshly baked scones (from scratch) hot coffee, fresh berries and yogurt. They even sent me scones for the road. I was pleasantly surprised by the beauty of the area and would love to go back again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank cagirl17
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

We have stayed at the Joseph Mattey House five times over the past 10 years, and would not think of staying anywhere else in Willamette Valley wine country. Jack and Denise are wonderful hosts who are very knowledgeable about vineyards and restaurants in the area. Breakfast is always delightful, and afterwards the two of them are ready to make suggestions and recommendations for a day of tasting. The B&B itself is a charming historic house surrounded by a small vineyard and fruit orchard, located off the main road between Lafayette and McMinnville. With more and more wineries starting up south of McMinnville, this is now a fairly central location. Good restaurants can be found in nearby Dundee and McMinnville, with a cab ride to the latter running about $15.

Room Tip: The Blanc de Blanc room is lighter and more airy than the others. Also a bit cheaper as the bathroo...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AZ_Happy_Trails
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

Our recent trip to the land of Pinot Noir was vastly enhanced by staying at the Joseph Mattey House. The first "B" in B&B was extremely comfortable (and the peaceful setting helped), and the second "B", breakfasts, were simply excellent: tasty, substantial, and varied - with delicious eggs and potatoes, and fresh, fresh fruit - on the two nights we stayed over. That "B" certainly fortified you for the days of tasting ahead, if such was your intent! And as to the challenge of figuring out which of the 225+ local vineyards to visit and where to dine at night, Jack and Denise were also excellent resources. They knew which white bubbly places to check out when too much red might send you sideways, and endorsed McMinnville's THISTLE (Oregon Restaurant of the Year), which was another memorable experience. Try the duck liver pate in a Mason jar with sherry glaze and a prune, or the vegetarian gnocchi, made in the small but hyper-efficient shopfront kitchen area. Eric and Emily, owners, chef & waitstaff, were another local resource. We had a great time, and heartily endorse this as a place to stay... and also to learn about Oregon's wine country.

Room Tip: We chose the Pinot Noir, but they all looked fine. WiFi worked upstairs and downstairs, but a little...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ptkghs
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

We had an excellent 3 day stay here; charming house, helpful and gracious hosts. Superb breakfasts every day.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple