“Great time, great scones!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in McMinnville
Joseph Mattey House
Ranked #4 of 8 McMinnville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed for two nights to visit Williamette wineries. Jack & Denise were great hosts! Provided winery tasting & dinner recommendations. Location was perfect between McMinnville & Dundee - able to eat and visit both places. stayed in Riesling room - with claw tub!

Jack & Denise have great stories to share. Denise's scones are definitely something to look forward to in the morning.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank tran234

Reviewed 20 August 2012

My husband and I always wanted to visit the Willamette Valley and explore the area and visit the wineries. We found the Mattey House on Tripadvisor and decided to book our stay at the Bed and Breakfast for 8 nights. The Mattey House is located in the country outside of McMinnville. This location was perfect for us because it is centrally located in the Willamette Valley but located in a quiet country setting. The house is on ten acres and there is a beautiful vineyard on the propery. We were able to explore McMinnville, Carlton, and Dundee as well as the surrounding wine country from this location. The house is a beautiful Victorian run by Jack and Denise. We were in the Chardonnay room which overlooks the vineyard - just lovely. Jack and Denise were wonderful hosts and provided us with excellent directions for day trips to the area. We also enjoyed exploring McMinnville which is a short drive from the B&B into town. Wonderful breakfasts were prepared for us every morning. My husband enjoyed the breakfasts immensely. I am not a big breakfast eater but I enjoyed tasting everything which was delicious. The coast is an easy day drive and so we were able to explore the coastal area as well. On another day, Jack provided us with directions to go to Silverton and the Silver Lake State Park which was a wonderful day trip. The park has beautiful waterfalls and was interesting hiking. There is an air museum near-by which was also very interesting. We enjoyed our adventure to the Willamette Valley very much and we enjoyed our stay at the Mattey house and would recommend it to anyone visiting the Willamette Valley.

Room Tip: We liked the Chardonnay room because it was bright and cheery and overlooked the vineyard. Adjacent...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2012

If you love pinot noir and in general good wine, you'll want to add wine tasting in the Willamette Valley to your bucket list. Dundee Oregon is in the center of some of the best areas to wine taste. There's a few hotels in the area but if you really want a top notch place to stay and you've always wanted to try a Bed & Breakfast, the Mattey House is one you'll not want to miss! We spent a weekend here and I can't remember a better Bed & Breakfast experience! First of all Jack and Denise are the perfect hosts. I remembered when we arrived that there were no televisions in the room so I was afraid of going through Olympics withdrawals but Jack as a proud British host kept the guests apprised of the latest news on the Summer Olympics entertaining us all at breakfast with tales of his homeland.

We arrived on probably the hottest weekend of the summer...after feeling a little extra warm in our room the first night I mentioned this to Denise the next morning and they kept on the air conditioning all night our second night to ensure that the guests stayed cool---noting the size of the house I'm sure this was no small expense. Jack was very helpful in recommending and making dinner reservations. Denise's breakfasts were large, multi-course with local fresh ingredients and the best I've ever experienced at a Bed and Breakfast.

Mattey House with its beautiful view of the vineyard out front and its central location to the best wineries in the area is a place you shouldn't miss---you'll come back for more!

Room Tip: Good descriptions online of the different rooms. Loved our Pinot Noir room even though it didn'...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We spent a full week using the Joseph Mattey house as our base for exploring wine country and other local attractions. It's centrally located and the hosts Denise and Jack help to maximize your enjoyment by providing advice and directions, making reservations and providing helpful contacts at wineries and restaurants. They work hard.

The house is clean and tastefully decorated, and the grounds provide lovely views of their private vineyard. The breakfast menu can't be beat. Coffee is ready early, fruit dishes and scones serve as the first course, and Denise's creative main courses will leave your stomach ready for tasting Pinot all morning. When you get back they have cookies, lemonade and an eclectic collection of music to set the mood for planning your dinner in the valley.

Don't bother looking elsewhere. This is the place to go.

Room Tip: We preferred the front rooms for the view of the vineyard.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Walt M
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Jack and Denise were lovely, the estate was beautiful and the breakfast was delicious!!! Highly suggest this place for anyone passing through! My husband and I were passing through on our honeymoon and they surprised us with a little bottle of wine and a wonderful card to the "bride and groom".... so thoughtful!! My only regret is that we didn't spend more time there!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sara P
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I only stayed at the Mattey House one night as I made my way from The San Juan Islands to Sacramento, CA, but it was very clean and very comfortable. I made my reservation at the last minute but Jack and Denise were very gracious and took me right in. The home is beautiful, inviting, spotlessly clean, and I just felt as if I were coming home. It was just me in the house and I didn't want them to go out of their to make me a breakfast, but in the morning I awoke to the smell of freshly baked scones (from scratch) hot coffee, fresh berries and yogurt. They even sent me scones for the road. I was pleasantly surprised by the beauty of the area and would love to go back again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank cagirl17
Reviewed 29 October 2011

We have stayed at the Joseph Mattey House five times over the past 10 years, and would not think of staying anywhere else in Willamette Valley wine country. Jack and Denise are wonderful hosts who are very knowledgeable about vineyards and restaurants in the area. Breakfast is always delightful, and afterwards the two of them are ready to make suggestions and recommendations for a day of tasting. The B&B itself is a charming historic house surrounded by a small vineyard and fruit orchard, located off the main road between Lafayette and McMinnville. With more and more wineries starting up south of McMinnville, this is now a fairly central location. Good restaurants can be found in nearby Dundee and McMinnville, with a cab ride to the latter running about $15.

Room Tip: The Blanc de Blanc room is lighter and more airy than the others. Also a bit cheaper as the bathroo...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AZ_Happy_Trails
Also consider these accommodations in or near McMinnville
McMenamins Hotel Oregon
3rd Street Flats
3rd Street Flats
#1 of 2 in McMinnville
La Bastide Bed & Breakfast

Been to Joseph Mattey House? Share your experiences!