“Great food and good portions”
Review of Bistro Maison

Bistro Maison
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro Maison is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 102 Restaurants in McMinnville
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

I have been fortunate enough to have eaten here several times. The escargot was wonderful, the pork chop was huge and the taste was outstanding! The staff are very nice, and the service is second to none. I am looking forward to our next dinner, hopefully I will not have to wait too long.

1  Thank Mt_Griz

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Holy crap...the French have had an outpost for years in Oregon and its called Bistro Maison. Are you missing the poor service and arrogance from your last trip to Paris? Don't be worried, the stereotype is alive and well here. The menu hasn't changed in decades, and their finest offerings include overcooked choice steak and frozen scallops. No joke the best item on their menu is... the French Fries! Fried in duck fat, you almost forget how poorly done everything else is. The owner is a tyrant, with no time for the "homme ordinaire", yet puts herself at the head of service. Colder than the Jura Mountains, she lumbers through the restaurant, with only the goal of bringing orders back to her husband the chef. I see why they moved from Paris to Rome to New York to ...finally little old MAC, to run from their undoubtedly poor reputation. Old residents of the area, find comfort in their antics, but save yourself the time and money, AVOID!!!

5  Thank TheLastStarFighter
GoodFood, Owner at Bistro Maison, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear TheLastStarFighter,
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. We appreciate any constructive feedback that will help us improve.

While I would like to address some of the criticisms you have of our restaurant I do not, however, see any value in addressing what are obviously personal grudges you have against myself and our French “stereotypes”.

Most importantly, I would like to firmly state that we use only the finest meats and seafood available to us. Our scallops are not frozen, but come in fresh daily in the shell. We buy our meats from Carlton Farms, and pride ourselves on supporting local businesses. We also do not use duck fat in our fryer. I am not sure what was done to have you come to such assumptions, but I would like to rectify this.

As I’m sure you’re aware, we have an open door policy for our kitchen. Any night, any guest is welcome to come into our kitchen as you would your own home. We are proud of what we have done here, and embrace the opportunity to show it off. Anyone with any questions as to the freshness or quality of our food is encouraged to come into our kitchen and see for themselves. As I wish you would have done, TheLastStarFighter, so we could have avoided this erroneous review.

Once again, thank you for your review. We work hard every day at making our restaurant the best it can be. We are sad that you did not enjoy our restaurant, but are confident in our consistently good reputation and feel lucky to be a part of the McMinnville community for eleven years.

Deborah Chatelard

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stopped here for lunch on a Thursday and will definitely be returning. The restaurant is in a lovely house decorated with everything French - very tastefully done. The menu selection is authentic and the food was very good. A lovely place for a special lunch or dinner. We love traveling in France and the Bistro Maison brought back many fond memories.

1  Thank jkmeye
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We were very impressed by the quality & freshness of the food served in this restaurant. We started with one of the appetizer specials - figs with thick bacon pieces in a wonderful balsamic sauce. My husband had the halibut, one of the best he has ever had. I had the scallops - four large ones cooked to perfection. Although our server could not help us with the wine list, she was quick to ask someone for assistance. Deborah came to our table & with her extensive knowledge, we decided on the perfect wine. We liked the fact that she brought the bottles of the 3 she recommended to the table for our choosing - nice touch. Large portions & great side dishes. We will be back.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We have been going to the Bistro Maison for several years now. Always outstanding meals, by a true Parisian chef. The hostess (Deborah) makes everyone feel warm and invited. The sauces are as good as any we have ever experienced-including France. This is a very special place you should not miss. If you are in Portland, make the trip. Nothing better there. We have taken some Francophile friends, who were blown away by the quality of the mealsand service (and wines). Go.