“Great Tour”

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great Tour”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

And remember, when you go to Harry and David's you can also sample their wonderful fudge, chocolates and other goodies they'll have around that day! It's a good tour to take your mind off work and other things, and just enjoy being around pretty things, delicious looking gourmets, and gift ideas are abound!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Ayurclaire

MEDFORD
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“YUMMY”
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

I have resided here over 35 years and finally decided to take the tour. It is an eye opening look at how Moose Munch and other proprietary confections are made and the volume of product produced here is astounding. Included was a first hand look at Harry and David's assembly line putting their fruits and confections into boxes for shipment all over the world.

Visited February 2013
Portland, Oregon
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“So neat!”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Disclaimer: I love factories! I have wanted to visit the Harry and David factory for some time now and finally got a chance last Friday. I don't particularly like Harry and David goods, but I always enjoy a factory tour. We visited on a Friday and the packing lines were in full swing. Unfortunately, the bakery is closed on Fridays (the bakery is only open M-TH), so we didn't get to see giant batches of Moose Munch or cakes being churned out. That's okay! The packing lines were fun to watch and our tour guide was knowledgeable and enthusiastic and provided a lot of fun facts about the company and factory.

I particularly enjoyed seeing the different types of gift basket lines they had going. Some lines were traditional assembly lines where one person is responsible for a specific part of the basket, while other lines were complete baskets only and each person on those lines is responsible for assembling an entire basket. We saw two sisters hard at work on the full basket assembly line who have been working at H&D for a number of years and are also the top assemblers. They were so fast!

We also got to see the pear sorting and packing assembly line which was also really neat. Who knew each pear gets weighed individually?!

The tour doesn't take very long and we didn't get to see much of the orchards, but overall, I enjoyed the tour and it was a great value at $5.

If you are planning on going in the early spring/summer...beware. Our tour guide said the factory is pretty dead during these times and the best times to visit are in the fall when all the gift baskets and gift trees are being assembled. She said most of the packing is finished by early December so the tours in these off times include more DVD watching than actual visuals on all the packing activities.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Stadum C
Saint Louis, Missouri
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Fun, interesting factory tour but not what was expected given the other reviews”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Perhaps I got the wrong impression but this tour is a birds eye view from an enclosed viewing areas of the production of some of the products marketed by Harry and David. At the mid point in the tour they give each guest a small box that contains two cookies and one piece of candy. Don't get me wrong but this is not the impression I/we got from the reviews.

When you go on the tour you go to the H&D store which is a very nice store full of their products and more. It is the biggest H&D store we have ever seen - the size of a small grocery store. The store is very well laid out and products displayed beautifully. There are some samples out to be tried. By no means was the quantity of products available for sampling significant on the day we went on the tour 10/9/13.

The tour itself was nice and very reasonable in terms of cost. Our guide clearly knows her stuff but was not what I would call cheerful and fun. It was more like the old Dragnet show "just the facts". All the people on the tour were locals and mostly older than me and definitely older than my wife and daughter.

I would not say " you have to go to H&D and take this tour" or even "don't miss this store". I would say go if you have time and if the idea moves you. I imagine there are better things to do in this part of OR. The place is so beautiful it is hard to believe. Perhaps pick up food at H&D and go to Lithia park or any place in nature in the vicinity and have a picnic.

No matter what I just want expectations for this attraction and experience set realistically. For $5 per adult and 1.5 hours of your time it's not a bad thing to do if you are inclined. I'd probably go to the park for a picnic if I knew what I now know.

A few tips.. There are steps and elevators but there is a decent amount of walking for those who are impaired and if you get our guide or a guide like her you will feel like your back in grade school - "walking walking" repeated over and over. They allow photography which made it more enjoyable for me. You will likely end up hungry after all the food you see, smell and think about and then you will likely spend money in the H&D store. Be prepared.

Visited October 2013
Sacramento, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A Medford Highlight!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

$5 bargain - and 15% off of that for military! They pick you up at the Harry & David Country Store, and the tour driver narrates a very interesting tour which includes a video on the shuttle bus. You then disembark twice; once at the packing factory where you see those gift baskets being packed with all manner of goodies and once at the bakery and candy making facility. (Moose Munch being made by the barrel full!). Both locations have long, glassed hallways above the factory floor so you can walk along and clearly see the fruits, cookies, cakes and candy being made/wrapped/packed. This is an accessible tour and they cheerfully accommodated my mom in a wheelchair. Make a reservation, take this tour and enjoy the treat they give you at the end!

Visited October 2013