“Clean, quiet - and wonderful staff”

Motel 6 Medford South
Ranked #31 of 35 Hotels in Medford
Reviewed 23 October 2012

This was a basic, clean motel room, no frills. What I love about this place is the management. They have assembled a collection of competent, no drama, very helpful and knowledgeable staff, who really want you to have a successful stay. On the clean side: I did yoga on the floor (which I never do in budget hotels) and didn't have an allergy problem or regret my decision.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Victoria L

Reviewed 22 October 2012

We just needed a bed to sleep on and a shower. We got that for sure in this very no frills room. It was clean and quiet and the staff was extremely friendly. My only complaint is that the bed was very very hard so I did not sleep well. But, if you don't mind a hard bed then you shouldn't have any problems.
Overall the room was a good value for what we paid and the friendly staff is a plus.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My late check-in went smoothly. The room was clean as were the bathroom and the shower. The bed was comfortable. The tube TV worked fine and had HBO. WiFi would have been an additional $2.99/night. Freeway noise on the North side of the motel wasn't a problem; no trains passed outside the window. The motel is located about 15-20 minutes from Ashland and the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and was priced much lower than any Ashland Hotel, I think. The motel is about 1 1/2 - 2 hours from Crater Lake and much closer to rafting locations on the Rogue River. A Dairy Queen is next to the property. The Black Bear Diner is about a 5-minute walk away.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are quiet and face a playfield.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael M
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I'd been driving through the night from San Fran and was bone tired (and broke!!) when I got to the motel 6. They let me check in at 8am without a fuss.

Within a couple of minutes of pulling up to the motel for the first time I already had a key and was heading for my room (hadn't had a prior reservation).

The room was barebones but at least had a fridge and microwave and working air conditioner which was a relief due to the approaching heatwave.
Everything was spotless inside the room, didn't have any smell of smoke.. Not much noise to mention..

The ONLY thing that somewhat ticked me off was the fact that despite the fact that I had to pay 2.99 for wi-fi, it connected at close to dial up/ISDN speeds (~256k). I mean come on, that wasn't even high speed internet in 1996.. If it wasn't for that I would have added a star or 2.

Other than that i was impressed by the property (for the price!!) and would certainly recommend it to anyone who is broke and needing a clean place to crash.

Room Tip: I think I'd recommend going for a second floor room if you don't have any mobility issues...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We drove 500 mile and came from Astoria. We hoped to get a nice room but we didnt. The room was small, very hot and dusty. Other night in different places we got better rooms for less money, but I guess its what you should expect from a Motel6.

Car parking was good, shower was good, it was also nice that late checkin was possible.
The bed was small, the room was hot and dusty.

If you really have to stay here for one night, it will be oké but definitely no longer!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Stayed here after having stayed at the Grants Pass Motel 6, which was a nicer environment and location, so I expected this would be too. I really did not know what to expect, just passing through on my way home to CA from WA. This felt like a sort of "seedy" location.
The clerk at the counter who checked me in was less than friendly when I told her I needed a quiet room, due to the fact I am a light sleeper. I specifically asked if if it was not a full house, could they give me a room with no one on either side of me. A short while after being in my room, I heard someone slamming the door on their way into the room next door to me. They could be heard talking and moving things around loudly, so I had to call the desk and explain.
Luckily there was a changing of the guard at the front desk, and the woman I now spoke with was very nice and said she would be happy to change my room - 5 points for that clerk, who understood the true meaning of "customer SERVICE."

The room was bare bones, nothing fancy, two tiny bars of soap, and no shampoo. The bed, towels, and bathroom looked clean. The heater had it's own thermostat, with a 3-setting fan, and kept the room nice and warm. While the pillows could have been newer and fluffier, I found the mattress comfortable, almost TOO firm. The TV had the lamest cable channels, I could not find a single decent movie or show to watch - it was all bad TV, sports talk, and weather channels.

I was on a limited budget and couldn't afford to eat out, so I had a cooler with some food, some of which needed to be heated. The Grants Pass OR Motel 6 had a small microwave down near the ice machines, so I assumed this one would also. I was very surprised when I went down with my mug of water the next morning to make tea, and found there was no way to heat it!
They offer "free coffee" from 6am-10am, but what about people who do NOT drink coffee, and who get in very late and can not make it all the way downstairs by 10am? They are out of luck.
They get tepid water out of a thermos that is not hot enough to make tea, and absolutely nothing else to drink. I thought the very least they could do was provide a simple microwave for people to warm things up in, or to boil water in!
I asked the morning clerk about the microwave and without even glancing at me she said:
"No, we don't have one - I know some have them - we don't." No friendliness, no apology, not even a smile.
I won't ever stay at this location again, and it really turned me off to Motel 6's in general.

Room Tip: If you have trouble sleeping, ask for a quiet room, and make sure to explain that means no one on ei...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Jane S
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Clean, cheap, close to the highway... apparently smokers and people with pets get the downstairs rooms... smoke rises.... as long as you put all of your valuables in your room and are just looking for a clean place to sleep you are fine...no frills

• Stayed: May 2011