“Be careful if you want non-smoking rooms”

Candlewood Suites Medford
Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Medford
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here one night before visiting Crater Lake National Park during the long weekend. Noticed the warnings about smoking rooms here before booking but this was the one big-chain hotels that hadn't sold out when I looked. I emphasized that I need a non-smoking room when making the online booking (I am a IHG Platinum member). However, I was assigned room 314 when I checked in around 10pm and I can tell it is a smoking room as soon as I enter the room. I also noticed all the rooms at one end of the 3rd floor don't have non-smoking signs on it while other rooms have. I went back to the front desk, and was told the 3rd floor is a smoking floor but the room I got was a non-smoking room. I didn't buy it and eventually they switched my room with someone who hasn't arrived yet (sorry). The hotel is fully booked that night. I suspect that the hotel gives out smoking rooms as non-smoking ones when it is fully booked. The second room I got was much better.

The rest of the stay was okay, except the front desk is not very friendly or efficient. There is no meal service in the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the 3rd floor if you want non-smoking room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jeff_ZSV
McKenzie C, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Medford, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Jeff_ZSV,

I would like to apologize for the hassle you experienced during your stay with us. While I can assure you that we do not rent out smoking rooms as non-smoking, we have recently gone through some smoking to non-smoking conversions. I am glad to hear we were able to accommodate you in a more suitable room. I would like to personally apologize if you felt my staff was unfriendly at any time. We really appreciate your feedback and will use it to better equip the staff and get your concerns taken care of.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I was bringing my 82 year old mother from California to live with me in Washington. I had arranged with Lisa to have a handicapped room. It was to be on the second floor close to the exit as my mother is in a wheel chair and on oxygen. I asked aif there was a recliner in that room as my mother can only sleep sitting up in a recliner. She assured me there was one. We also needed a walk in shower and not a tub as my mother can not step up over a tub. After a 12 hour drive we arrived, very tired and ready to go to our room. We were then informed by the desk it was on the 4th floor. I asked why it had changed and she just said she didn't know, I then asked if there was at least a recliner and walk in shower, her reply if Lisa told you there was one then there should be one but there should be at least a chair. I said there needed to be a recliner, to which she replied let me know when you get to the room what is there. To tired at this point, so went to the room and guess what no recliner and no walk in shower. Called the desk and she said she would find a recliner "but the shower had to be walk in cause it was a handicapped room". I assured her it was tub not a walk in, her reply was they shouldn't mark the rooms as handicapped if they are not. Half Hour later we received the recliner, but at this time of the night it was too late for us to go out to eat and to late for local delivery.I went down to the lobby to go get some snacks from the car so my mom at least had some food to take with her medication. As I was returning to our room I heard the check in girl now in shouting match with another hotel guest. Very uncomfortable feeling. Very uncomfortable stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrea C
McKenzie C, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Medford, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Guest,

I am extremely sorry to hear about your poor experience while staying with us and can assure you that this incident will not go unnoticed. I fully intend to use this as a learning experience for my new staff members in order to prevent anything like this from happening again. While I deeply regret the customer service you received, I sincerely appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We come to visit our daughter in Medford and always stay at Candlewood Suites. Very clean hotel. Huge room with comfortable furniture and kitchen. Quiet hotel! Close to town, freeway and airport. Prices are excellent! Staff has always been very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank grlsmom2000
McKenzie C, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Medford, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

grlsmom2000,

Thank you for the positive review! I am glad you find our amenities and location convenient for you. It is great to hear that you are always treated well during your stays. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Great front desk staff, very polite and helpful.
My room was clean, comfortable and quiet, and had a kitchenette area.
The hotel has a little munchies store (cupboard), free laundry, good gym area and decent wifi.
It is right across from the airport, and downtown Medford is only about a 10 minute drive.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank bu1larry
Reviewed 4 January 2014

First time staying at this hotel. We needed a place to spend a night on our driving trip from Seattle to Palm Spring. I have been an IGH platinum member but have never stayed at any Candlewood Suites. I have to say that I was impressed. The hotel is clean from the minute you enter the property to the lobby area to the room. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank pamseattle
Natalie R, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Medford, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for being a Platinum Member in IHG Rewards Club! We appreciate the positive feedback regarding our property and look forward to hosting you in the future!

McKenzie Cates

Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed here prior to an early morning flight, traveling for two weeks. Our room was spacious and comfortable. We had a nearly full-sized refrigerator, a microwave and stove top, with all the cook ware and dishes we would need. This facility is clearly designed for the long- term business or family traveler and would make the stay quite convenient.

The desk staff was very accommodating upon our arrival, in the early hours of the morning when we used the shuttle to go to the airport, and again when we returned 12 days later. One of our party decided to stay an additional night in preparation for another early flight the following day.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone flying from Medford, or who needs a long stay hotel while in the area.

Room Tip: Although close to the airport, the room was very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank teri1010
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Candlewood hotel has the most courteous and professional staff of any of the hotels I've stayed at. They are the consummate professionals. They are courteous and accommodating to their customers needs. Their personalities reflect the love for their jobs.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends