“An Oasis of Delight in Scorching Medford!”

SpringHill Suites Medford
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Medford
Pitt Meadows
“An Oasis of Delight in Scorching Medford!”
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Over 90 deg. and we were all quite parboiled when we rolled off the I-5 and to the entrance of the SpringHill Suites. Cool, spacious and cheerfully decorated, the staff greeted us warmly and had our requested 'quiet room' set aside for us. We loaded up one of the handy luggage carts (needed this!) and headed up to our room, located overlooking a grassy, undeveloped area beside the hotel. We were all very pleased with the spacious, bright suite with couch, chairs, a well-appointed work desk (with actual extra electrical outlets and connections for my husband's work laptop, usually lacking in other hotels) and a small 'kitchen' alcove with microwave, mini fridge, sink, etc. The 2 queen beds were comfortable, the air conditioning was fairly quiet and on a wall-mounted thermostat you could set to temp. The bathroom was modern and everything was extremely clean and well kept. The management deserves praise for the decor....no icky brown and beige carpet and beige walls here, a cheerful soft butter yellow was on the walls, which were a sensible smooth-textured finish (so many hotels do wallpaper which starts to nick and peel within a short time and looks tatty), and the carpet was a lovely navy with flecks of gold. The entire hotel was a pleasure to stay in, and although we did not have time to avail ourselves of the indoor pool, hot tub and little fitness centre on the main floor, it also looked extremely clean and well kept. I would definitely stay here again, and would also keep this chain in mind, in the hopes that all the others were similarly pleasant. The best value during our entire Oregon vacation at $129/nite for the 3 of us, 2 Queens, extremely clean and pleasant, and outside of the luxury of the Cannery Pier Hotel in Astoria, the lovliest hotel of our stay. Despite it's convenient off freeway location, we were never bothered by any noise of any kind. The complimentary breakfast in the bright and spacious lobby was tasty offering cereals, pastries, self-made waffles, beverages, sausages, etc. with ample, comfortable seating and a flatscreen on the wall. Koodoes, guys.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. 2nd and 3rd floor sections are reserved as quiet areas for their airline pers...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mercer12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Olympia, WA
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Springhill Suites are really well designed with up-to-date decor.

This hotel is in south medford, very close to freeway. It's quiet. And close to Roosters, a pretty good breakfast place. Although the hotel has a free breakfast buffet, we did go out to breakfast one morning because the buffet is pretty standard fair: toast, bagels, cereal, oatmeal, inedible green fruit (oranges and bananas--so green we couldn't peel them). There is a waffle maker though, if you like that.

Rooms: Layout was pretty good, although, like another we've stayed in, the bathroom is right across from the beds, and there is a door on the shower/toilet room, but not on room with the sink. It's nice because someone can put on makeup/dry hair/brush teeth while someone else has privacy for the toilet or showering; it is not nice if you get up in the middle of the night--you can close the door while you use the bathroom, but if you want light as you wash your hands, you can't close a door to keep the room dark for other who are sleeping. The shower was outstanding--good water pressure. Towels were very thin.

Staff: they are very friendly, and were really gracious about an error I made in booking the room--I thought I had reserved two nights and only reserved one--when it became clear I was not coming to collect my luggage, they correctly guessed the mistake and saved us the room, even though they were filling up, and gave us the discounted rate. One room for improvement: none of the staff were very knowledgeable about the area attractions--I asked about covered bridges (I hear there are some) and got a blank look. I asked how long it took to get to Ashland (a nearby town very popular for it's Shakespeare festival), and how the parking was--the 20 minute time estimate was good, but the "oh parking is easy" was absolutely wrong. It was very difficult to park and we had quite a hike to the theater once we found a spot. We did get a recommendation for dinner one night, accompanied by directions.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Coug1984
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Charming suite-like room almost feels like a small apartment. Clean and well-appointed. Looking forward to the opportunity to stay again..

• Stayed August 2011
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 16 August 2011

This hotel is in a great location, easy access to 5 and to Medford and Ashland. Decor is nice and it's very clean. The breakfast buffet is mediocre. My husband, who can eat anything, said the eggs were the worst he's ever eaten. They were like rubber. I had the oatmeal and waffles, which were okay at best. Needless to say, don't stay here for the food. Rooms were nice and clean, cleaning staff friendly, but the front desk gal was rude in a polite sort of way. She said please and thankyou and answered our questions, but had a bad attitude when doing so, if that makes any sense. After my first encounter with her, I didn't go to her for much else.We were surprised when checking in to be told that Marriot will put a hold on funds above and beyond what your room costs you. I believe an additional $30.00 dollars for incidentals will be held from your account on top of the room costs, even if you don't have any incidentals. Our room was $119.00 and with tax was about $130.00, but our account was on hold for $160.00 We were told that it will take 3 to 4 days to refund this additional money after you check out. Bizarre!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dreamerReno
Reviewed 14 August 2011

This is the second time I've stayed here on a "stay-cation." I like the pool and spa. The rooms are very clean, quiet and spacious. Breakfast is adequate. I notice that flight crews stay here, probably because it is so quiet. Pillows, mattress, towels: all excellent!

I didn't write a review the first time I stayed because I was irritated that they took the spa out of service just when I planned to use it. But the manager made a reasonable attempt to rectify the situation with some loyalty points to compensate, so kudos for that.

As I often find with Marriot properties, the staff is generally great, especially in the eating area. My only complaint in that regard is that when I was checking in, I asked for an especially quiet room, as far from the elevator as possible. She never acknowledged my request, just kept typing into the keyboard. The room was quiet, and pretty far down the hall, but for all I know it was random. Anyway, I will return, and if I had guests in town I'd recommend this property.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Linkup
Yakima, Washington
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Best value of our whole trip. Incrediable staff, every single one of them.. Great rooms, truly nice people.. Great location and a free breakfast..

Room Tip: Ask for what you want when you check in and belong to Marriott Rewards.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Sacramento
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Nice room, very clean. Towels could be softer, but..... Pool and jacuzzi good; although kids were running rampant the 2 nights I was there so it was really noisy-it echoes in the indoor pool room. Parking is plentiful and easy. Hotel is easy to find. Staff was nice. Breakfast for me was good-oatmeal with walnuts and raisins. My mom and boyfriend had the waffles which they loved and the eggs which they both said were awful. Did my laundry in the coin operated washers, very nice! My only negative comment is that they had wall street journal available but no local free or daily paper!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends