“Awesome and intense”

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Awesome and intense”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We've done a few vacation horseback rides, and this was the best. My 7 and 9 year olds were just off of a week-long horse camp, so, of course, they were eager to ride some more. Our week on the coast happened to be wet and rainy, but we lucked into skies that stayed clear enough for our hour-long ride.

These guys are pros - and very kind to riders and horses alike. Our leader included Justin and the owner and her son (didn't catch their names). They were helpful and mellow and very attentive and alert. They set up by 7 year old with a pony she could control and my 9 year old with an amazing large quarter horse. My husband and I were on a couple of "fjords" (is this right?), two fiesty buddies.

The horses are in the park. They lead you up a trail across the dunes, down some windy, rugged beach along the ocean, and back along a woody trail next to a river. These horses are not county fair robot horses. You do need to tell them what to do - they are responsive and fun. My horse decided to freak out a little bit on the dunes and took off a bit; I was able to get him back under control even though I'm hardly an expert horsewoman. She also decided to get playful in the river -- the horses were up to their knees in water because the tide was so high (thanks, Supermoon!) -- and the owner poked her butt so she'd take off at a faster speed. It was exciting and a little scary, I'll admit, but I loved it.

The owner's son stayed with my 7 year old the enter time, even leading her in the water when it was clear she was getting nervous. He was kind and patient and funny the entire ride. The owner explained to me at the end that she was worried that my horse was going to LAY DOWN in the water with ME ON IT. But they were so excited for me that I didn't fall off/whatever that they made me feel like a real champ.

It was a great experience. We all loved it. I hope we get to ride with them again.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank ltoneill

Phoenix
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Beautiful coast line.”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We went there to relax, go out to dinner and walk the beach. I would have liked a little more sun but the view was so breathtaking that took the place of the sun.

Visited May 2013
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“A spectacular experience, not to be missed!”
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Manzanita has been our regular late summer vacation spot for over a decade and Oregon Beach Rides is one of the highlights of the trip. Right up there with Hug Beach and Haystack Rock. An experience not to be missed.

Run by a wonderful family of good spirited souls who take great care around safety, starting with choosing the right horse for the rider. Helmets required. An experienced rider; my daughter started riding with them at age eight. We often ride there with other kids her age.

They have several types of rides including a one hour, two hour, half and full day. Also a sunset ride. We take the 2 hour advanced ride as you can canter and gallop on the beautiful wide beach. This ride also gets you into the beautiful grassy sand dunes and shore pines. You will often see elk and eagles in the dunes, and seals feeding in Nehalem Bay or sunning themselves on the shore.

It can get chilly up on the horse on the beach, as the wind is usually blowing there. Take a fleece or hoody, even on a warm summer day. Also make sure you get the $5 State Park Pass, for parking, as you enter. Timing the ride around the low tide is how we try, but a high tide ride is great too.

A fun, and memorable, experience seeing some of the most beautiful scenery in the world.

3 Thank cruzinquick
Erie, Pennsylvania
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“FANTASTIC!!!”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I grew up riding horses but stopped once I moved on to college. One of my "bucket list" items was to ride a horse along the ocean and another "bucket" was to go to Oregon. So this was PERFECT! The guides, Judy and her son Justin, were awesome! They were very knowledgeable and down to earth, which made it all the more enjoyable. All their horses were beautiful, not the typical "trail ride horses" you usually see. They took us along the coast, through dunes and we even spotted seals swimming in one area. I can't say enough about this ride, it was one of the top highlights of my trip and something I will never forget!! Thumbs way up!!

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Jennifer D
Prescott
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Costal beach”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I loved the scenery and the peacefulness of the beach. I look forward to returning and bring my wife along with me.

Visited September 2011