“Nice inn with a great beach view”

Elizabeth Oceanfront Suites
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We enjoyed our one night at this inn. We appreciated the chowder, cookies and breakfast buffet. The room was clean and spacious. The indoor pool and hot tub were both warm and welcoming.
Although we did not enjoy the beach during the torrential rain storm, it looked wonderful. We had a great deal through trip advisor on the room rate.
Newport itself was pretty closed up during our wet January visit. Very disappointing. I would never return here in the winter.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AZGlass
Write a ReviewReviews (1,122)

Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

This is our second stay at this hotel. It is comfortable, clean, breakfast is wonderful and they have extra treats.
We will stay here again. It was a plus because the weather was beautiful in January.We have stayed in a pretty friendly room to and they were very clean and cozy.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trinaisfive
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We really have enjoyed this motel.This is our second stay. The desk personnel are very nice & very helpful. The view is wonderful-we can look out and see the ocean anytime. We can step out on the balcony & look north to see the lighthouse. They serve a wonderful Smoked Salmon Chowder (free) every evening at 5:00 and it is to dye for. We go down at 8:00 every evening for free warm chocolate chip cookies. There is always coffee, tea, hot chocolate & fresh fruit available. Then there are the wonderful breakfasts-choice of eggs, bacon or sausage(depending on day), gravy, waffles, 4 cereals, oatmeal, yogurt, bagels, several kinds of toasts, 3 juices, coffee, milk; who could ask for more-again free. Room rates are comparable to other local motels without the extras. Our room was roomy with a fireplace, balcony, 2 queen beds, sofa, TV/DVR,(movies available to rent), microwave, refrig., in room Keurig coffee, free wifi, toiletries, robes (to use), lots of pillows. They don't skimp on the amenities! CLEAN! We will defintely be back. Also partially covered parking.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor tend to be VERY warm, according to desk they have a problem with them, eve...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JeanP3
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed a couple nights with my family, and I should start with the most important point: The view. Ocean front views with balconies in every room is the main feature of this hotel. The rooms are decent also, nice furniture, a fireplace and good amenities, including a coffee maker with good quality coffee. There is free parking at the hotel, free internet and complimentary breakfast. Two main issues were breakfast room was too small that we had to wait a lot to get a table. Also one small elevator that took several minutes to arrive, and if it was crowded you have to wait even longer. The staff was in general helpful, however the second day they didn't make our room, so when we came back in the afternoon it was not cleaned, no new shampoo, etc. So I went down to ask about it, and the manager looked like I insulted him and was a bit rude saying that there is nothing they could do because the person who does cleaning only works in the morning and the most they could do is to send me some shampoo and new towels (I can't believe that they don't have room service onsite even for urgent cases?). Anyway, a few minutes later the lady (very nice lady) called me to tell me that a person (their handy man) will come and help us. he came and he brought new bed linens, towels, etc and he did the beds. Even more, he noticed that the sliding door of the balcony wasn't closing properly, he took it and replaced for a new one. This person (whose name escapes my memory now) and the view are making me to put 4 stars instead of 3 for this hotel. I just wished the manager (I assume he was the manager) were more understanding and tried better to help us solve the issue rather than giving excuses and reasons.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Lela W, General Manager at Elizabeth Oceanfront Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thank you for your review and for letting us know what you liked and where we can improve.

I am sorry you were not able to get into the breakfast room to sit down and dine. For future reference we do have trays available which you can use, and then eat in the comfort of your room.

We do have good news about the elevator situation! Construction is due to start this month on a second elevator, and should be completed before the summer season. ( I can't tell you how happy we are about this development! )

I apologize about the mix-up at the desk regarding your room. I see that your stay was in August, and we were training a new desk associate, who would have only been here for a short time at that point. He is not a part of management and was in training, as I mentioned. It appears, from reading your review, that when the associate that was training him discovered the error they sent a houseperson immediately to correct the deficiency. The new associate was then coached as to proper procedure. I am sorry you were not pleased with his response to your issues.

We hope to see you again in the near future!

Best regards,

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I have stayed here three times. The best feature, and what I pay a premium for, is the ocean front view and balcony. This earns them a 4 star rating. The next best feature is the easy access to the stunning beach. A gas fireplace makes for a wonderfully cozy ambience.

Otherwise, the physical facility itself is average. As other reviewers note, the lobby is small and the front desk awkwardly placed next to the tiny, slow, overused elevator. With the exception of one employee, all those encountered were professional and cordial.

The room itself would be a older mid-priced "La Quinta" or Best Western anywhere else. The beds were comfortable, the flat screen and blue ray a plus. Plush robes, a coffee maker, and nice toiletries make for an nicer touch.

Another plus to the property is the nightly chowder and cookie hour. The breakfast area is located right off the elevator, making for more congestion in the morning. Space is tight. The breakfast was OK, the usual offerings, but including real bacon. (I know, I could smell it cooking early in the morning!).

My biggest turn-off during the stay, however, was the dirty stained carpets in my room. There were at least 4 big stains, which lead me to wonder what they could be -- yuck. Can't help but wonder if attention with a stain remover would help, and is what keeps me from rating this place higher. C'mon housekeeping and management.

We used the pool and jacuzzi a half hour before closing and were the only ones in there. Nice under those conditions, not so much when a party of loud guests, as in a previous visit, are also present.

All in all, I would visit Elizabeth Street Inn again when I need my ocean front view fix. I will, however, also be checking out the other properties nearby to see whether they offer a better experience next time.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean front.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Mimi,

Thank you for your candid review. It looks as though we are doing some things right and falling short on others. Let me see if I can address them in the same order...
Thank you for the 4 star rating, we truly appreciate it!
The lobby is indeed small, but adequate for our needs and the size of the property. We are pleased to tell you that a second elevator is in the works and should be completed before summer!
It is always nice to hear that guests are pleased with the extra amenities that we have to offer, like the breakfast, chowder, cookies, plush robes, etc.
I was extremely dismayed to hear about the stains in your room! It is unfortunate that some stains, from coffee or chocolate are hard to remove, but we certainly try to make certain all carpets are in good repair and cleaned to the best of our ability. I will work further with housekeeping and maintenance to ensure that stains are a priority, and apologize for any concern this may have caused you.
Hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

We booked a 4 night stay starting on Christmas Day and decided to cancel the rest of our hotels and stay here for the full 11 nights!! This hotel has balconies for every room, saline hot tub/pool, complimentary great Bkfst/salmon chowder and fresh baked cookies every day! The staff is always so helpful and professional. Newport is our favorite coastal town with plenty to do with our kids. We have been coming here for years now and will continue for many more!!

• Stayed: January 2014

We feel very special knowing you cancelled the rest of your plans to stay with us! It sounds like you got plenty of R&R. I am so pleased that the staff was helpful, we do try to think of your every need.
Newport is a great little community and certainly has lots of things to do either in town, or a short distance away. Nice to hear you enjoy it as much as we do.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stayed at the Elizabeth Street in for our anniversary and had a great trip! We had a living social deal and decided to try it out since it was so affordable. We stayed in a standard king room and it was perfect. It had a little kitchenette, fireplace, fridge, coffee maker, etc. The beds were very comfortable. The view is amazing. The free breakfast, chowder and cookies at 8pm are a nice little perk.

We walked into Nye beach for lunch, shopping -- such a great little quite town.

The only downside is that the elevator is super slow and the only stair access is at the ends of the hotel.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have the same great view... we were on the second floor and it was perfect.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Erin,

We were so pleased to play a small part in your anniversary! Hope you will consider making us your destination for all of the special events in your life.
The Nye Beach area is a great little place to dine and shop, so it is great to hear that you were able to make time to check it out.
Good news for everyone--a second elevator will be coming very soon.
Hope to see you again soon.

Lela

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Inn at Nye Beach
Deane's Oceanfront Lodge
Adobe Resort
Adobe Resort
#5 of 11 in Yachats

Been to Elizabeth Oceanfront Suites? Share your experiences!