“Great views and breakfast”

Elizabeth Street Inn
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Munich, Germany
“Great views and breakfast”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed here and loved the views, the staff very helpful and room although a little tired clean and comfortable, the breakfast was included and very nice lots of people seemed to take breakfast back to room to enjoy the sea view

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Lela W, General Manager at Elizabeth Street Inn, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Munich2,

It's always nice to have guests visit us from other countries! Glad you were able to make the trip, and hope that you enjoyed your time in the United States!

Best regards,

Lela

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We have just completed a road trip up the West Coast highway, and of the 14 hotels we stayed in, this was our favourite.
Firstly, we have to truly thank the staff and whichever guest it was for handing in our expensive camera which went missing somewhere in the hotel. We were panicked until a friendly staff member on the front desk returned it and confirmed he understood the value of the camera, and empathised with our panic.
On check in we were immediately offered the most delicious salmon chowder, which was out until 8pm when replaced by freshly baked cookies.
Staff were welcoming, offering friendly chat and great recommendations of places nearby to eat and drink.
The room was immaculate, with our own homely fireplace. Views across the ocean were spectacular. Cozy bathrobes were included.
The pool was a lovely warm temperature for the cool chills of the Oregon Coast.
The only small negative I could place, was the slow speed of the one elevator. But we were told that a new one was in construction.
I'm sure this is the nicest place to stay in Newport. We would return for the hotel alone, despite the lack of things to do in Newport!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Harriet K.,

Wow! What a rave review! Thank you so much!

You are so welcome about the camera, so pleased it was turned in. I know that can be very frightening when something that valuable is misplaced, plus I am sure you had all of your pictures on it from your trip. So glad we were able to be of service in reuniting you with it.

The chowder and cookies are very popular items. Unfortunately, the chowder has ended for the season but it will return after Labor Day. The cookies are a year round thing though.

Hope if you are ever in our area again you will visit us.

All the best,

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Well situated, behind the beach, with a stunning view of the ocean. Our room was large and well appointed with a very comfortable bed and good heating. However, forget the breakfast! We were confronted with polystyrene plates and bowls and plastic knives and forks. The hot food bore little resemblance to real food so our breakfasts for the next two mornings were a pottle of yoghurt, ,and tea or coffee each. There was whole fruit but the bananas were quickly taken by families and apples are very hard to cut with plastic knives.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Michael T
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I have stayed here twice. Had so much fun the frist time in newport had to come back. There was no question about where I would stayed. The room are nice with great views and the beds are comfortable. The staff is great. The salmon chowder is yummy. Great location.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I was warmly welcomed upon checking in. The room was large, fireplace, table, two chairs,fridge, blow dryer, coffee pot, TV, DVD, telephone, two queen beds and a balcony right on the beach. The view was spectacular. The room and bathroom were clean, bedding and linens were clean, crisp and new. Parking is right outside the lobby and covered.

The salmon chowder was excellent as were the cookies. The breakfast buffet was great especially because of the long hours.

Would absolutely recommend.

Room Tip: Balcony with view and fireplace is lovely.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I don't know if the front desk staff hates kids, hates minorities or just specifically hates my family but they made their dislike very obvious very fast.
My two year old son is a heart patient. He's had multiple heart surgeries, is pacemaker dependent, a stroke survivor and now works with heart transplant team. We always book nicer hotels because he is immune suppressed and because his medications are compounded and we need a place with a refrigerator. I should also note we commute out of state for his healthcare so we stay in hotels about 3 nights a month.
This was the WORST hotel experience I've ever had.
Initially we were excited about the view, the room (nice clean smelling bedding, fluffy pillows and a keruig coffee maker).
We checked in around 4 after walking around the aquarium. We put the meds in the fridge (which wasn't cold but when I turned the knob started to make noise like it was cooling) and then went out to eat. We came back and I drew a bath for the kids only to find the rubber bath mat that goes in the tub was covered with black mildew! Yuck!!! We were exhausted from walking around and after I gave his meds (which were still cold from being on ice in our icechest) all were asleep by 9-10. We woke up at 7:30 to the phone ringing. Kids slept through it. No one knew we were at the hotel so knew it was the front desk. The phone then rang again at 8 which the kids did not sleep through.
We took the kids down to breakfast which was typical hotel type buffet. The breakfast was sweet and said how cute the kids were, how polite and told us to have a nice stay. Within 10 minutes of being back in the room the phone was ringing. I picked it up and hung up. It rang again 15 min later. I answered and was greeted with, "we are getting LOTS of noise complaints so whatever you are doing you need to stop." I said okay and hung up.
Went to give my son his meds. Warm. Ruined. Also my ice packs that were in the freezer part were almost melted. I went down to the front desk and asked if I could have a few plastic bags for ice. The desk staff told me she'd look but "wasn't sure she had any". I explained about his medication and instead of being at all sympathetic told me I should have reported it earlier. I told her I didn't know until just then and she said it was a shame I hadn't checked since that was really my responsibility. Then she walked in the back and came out with bags less than 30 seconds later. She did offer to send someone to look at it. (Our DVD player also didn't work and the toilet handle was cracked) In the elevator another lady commented how she couldn't believe how rude they were to me.
We packed up to check out and were really completely shook at how we were treated.
While I was waiting to check out an older (white) man walked up and asked for a plastic bag and the same lady smiled and said, "did you want a big one or a small one?"
As I turned in my keys the lady offered no receipt (I've never not been given one anywhere else) and offered me a 15% off coupon.
I told her my sons meds were most likely ruined, we were woken up by staff, the DVD player was broken, the fridge broken, the mat unsanitary, and there were smashed chips on our deck not to mention that we were treated rudely and that we were quite done with the hotel.
Her reply was that we should have reported the fridge earlier and that it was unfortunate I hadn't done so.
Farewell Elizabeth St Inn. We won't be back.

• Stayed May 2014
8 Thank HeartMomFighingCHD
Lela W, General Manager at Elizabeth Street Inn, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Heart Mom,

It is my hope to attempt to address this response in the same order as your comments.

First of all, I can assure you that we don’t “hate” or “dislike” anyone! Your review was very disturbing to the Associates that were attempting to assist you, and myself. Frankly, I am at a loss as to why a mention of minorities is even brought up.

Our hearts go out to your son for his multiple health issues. Certainly this must be very stressful for your whole family! We all wish him only the best and pray that he continues to be blessed with excellent health providers.

I am so sorry to hear about the bath mat and have spoken to housekeeping to ensure these details are not being overlooked. In regards to the fridge, it sounds as though it was working when you turned it on, but apparently stopped sometime during the night. We truly regret that this occurred, or if the medicine was compromised.

In regards to the phone calls; when we receive a guest complaint about anything we have to respond. We don’t typically have noise complaints, but when we do we take it seriously. However, before we just start calling people we have a staff member confirm the room that the noise is coming from, as noise can travel in a hotel. In your case especially, we really questioned if it was coming from your room as you had only registered as having two adults (at checkout we learned that there were 5 children, in addition to 2 adults). Staff confirmed that the noise was from your room and the calls were made, but you did not answer. Apparently when you came back from breakfast we got another complaint and thus the call was made again. The Associate stated at that time that we had a complaint and asked if your room could please be a little quieter as you were disturbing other guests.

Your reservation was made through Hotels.com, who would have sent you a receipt for your stay at the time of booking. A requirement from third party sites, like Hotels.com, is that we not give out a receipt from the hotel.

I am truly sorry that we fell short in your eyes in providing you an exemplary visit.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Very comfortable, large room with a great view. Loved sitting on the patio to wave watch when it was warm. This is a great value, at least at this time of year, with smoked salmon chowder in the evening, cookies later, and breakfast in the morning. Very close to Nye beach, easy to walk to shops and restaurants, and easy to get to the beach. The elevator was terrible as others have mentioned, but construction is underway to replace it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends