“Great Location, Great Price and Perfect for the Family”

Elizabeth Street Inn
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 25 May 2010

After checking out a couple hotels in Newport we found this amazing place right on the beach. The rates were great compared to the other near by hotels and the front desk also arranged for a couple discounts. The rooms were a great size to accomodate us and our small child. In addition we had easy access to the beach and a beautiful view from the room. Our trip up the Oregon Coast was amazing, even with the unpredictable weather.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 May 2010

I have zero qualms with the room in any way so I want to address the high points. I am a tightwad and wanted to spend a little bit less on lodging but we had stayed here four years ago and we've always wanted to return and so glad we did. We were on our way to dinner when we noticed the complimentary Smoked Salmon Chowder which ultimately became dinner for us and was better than any restaurant meal ($30 minimum saved on dinner). The wife asked for the recipe and was told it comes from Ivar's in Seattle. We are from Kentucky and haven't heard of Ivar's but found out how expensive the chowder is when we tried to order it...nice touch ESI. Didn't have room for the free home-made cookies so I feel like I was cheated LOL. The breakfast buffet was outstanding and saved us minimum $15. We would have spent an additional $45-50 eating out had we not stayed here and the food was outstanding. That may not seem like much to some but it's a HUGE deal to me.
It's interesting how expectations and experiences can differ between individuals. I was shocked to read some unfavorable reviews of ESI but can only tell you that we love the place and would recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed 18 May 2010

We were charged an additional $100.00 on our bill. We were told when we arrived that we had to pay additional deposit of $100.00. We were assured that this deposit would be refunded. And this deposit was NOT refunded. Instead releasing the authorization amount the front desk staff CHARGED our account. Now I am going to have spend a great deal of time, fighting with them to get our money back. NOT a fun experience and this causes a great deal of stress for me. What I needed was some relaxation NOT this STRESS. The room had a stained duvet cover and a hair in the tub too.

3  Thank EugeneTraveler77
Reviewed 17 May 2010

We decided to extend our vacation and started to look for a hotel in Newport. After checking out a few, we came upon the Elizabeth Inn, my wife was able to get a $50 discount on a King room so we decided to take a look at the room. The hotel clerk took us up to the room to let us view it. It passed my wife's test for staying the night so we took the room. It was the last room. The room is fairly spacious with a sitting area right next to the glass doors which has a wonderful view of the ocean. There is a couch with a coffee table and fireplace in the sitting area. The room came with a King Bed which was "Springy" but comfortable. The room also had a table with two chairs across from the bed. The TV is older, not a flat screen. The sink and mirror are right next to the bed separated by a small divider. The bathroom has a shower and tub. The room is on the dark side as it depends on the outside light to light up the room. When it is dark outside, it is dark inside because the lights use energy efficient light bulbs. The room had a burn in the carpet from an iron and had a stain on the bathtub which looks bad for a hotel room that is trying to be higher class. We were treated with several free food items while we stayed included a salmon chowder, fresh baked cookies and a free breakfast which included eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, toaster waffles, bagels, cereal and a few other items. The clerk had mentioned that they have been remodeling the hotel, so I hope that they will make a few more updates (beds and hotel interior) to their hotel but otherwise it was a nice stay.

Reviewed 16 May 2010

This hotel is built with no thought for noise,so if you are unfortunate to get a heavy-footed godzilla in the room above you ,forget about any rest . Doors slamming, plumbing noisy. I can hear the television in the next room. Not a good value unless you get a top floor room, and even then I wouldn't spend the money.
The ocean is beautiful but I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 May 2010

This hotel has a great location high on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The hotel building is nothing special however. The lobby is the size of a large walk in closet that gets way to full of people trying to check in or out with a very slow elevator two feet away from front desk, this creates a bad bottleneck. The rooms are small, boring and in poor condition, the view is great however. The worst thing is the pool area and the cold walk across the parking basement to get to it.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank SunSandH20
Reviewed 8 May 2010

The location of Elizabeth Street Inn is terrific. However, my friend and I expected a much nicer room than we experienced. Overall, the room itself was just ok. The decor was dark and not bright and cheerful, which is what one would expect to find in a seaside inn. What bothered my friend and I the most was the condition of the beds, which we thought were yucky. There was no blanket on either bed and the bedspreads looked as if they were purchased during a K-Mart blue-light special during the 1970s. Ick. They were thin, outdated, and quite drab. The sheets on both beds were not crisp, clean, and fresh looking. Instead of crisp white sheets that one finds on most beds in a nice hotel/inn, they were beige. In addition, they looked as if they had been slept on, which I doubt, but they did have that appearance. They were extremely wrinkled and my top sheet had a rip in it; one of my pillowcases had what appeared to be makeup stains. Gross. Both of these linens should have been thrown out and not reused The pillows were a bit of a joke: two flattened, broken down small pillows and one larger pillow that was a bit firmer. There were pillow shams that matched the ugly bedspreads and this heap of yucky pillows were just kind of heaped up against the headboard. It was not a pretty sight. The room contained a sofa whose upholstery had not been freshened in who knows how long. It stunk up the entire room. Has the staff never heard of Febreze? It seemed to me that a hundred previous guests had taken off their shoes and socks and then placed their smelly feet all over this sofa. The odor was nasty. Although some of the staff were friendly and helpful, others were not. On my next visit to Newport, I'll be choosing another place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Inn at Nye Beach
#7 of 35 in Lincoln City
Hallmark Resort
Hallmark Resort
#2 of 24 in Newport

Been to Elizabeth Street Inn? Share your experiences!