“Wouldn't even be tempted to stay here again”

Elizabeth Oceanfront Suites
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 25 May 2010

I had trouble with the Elizabeth St. Inn from the first call to make a reservation. I was going on a business trip to Newport & several of my colleagues had made plans to stay at the inn. Other members of my group had checked Travelocity & Expedia, but decided to call the inn directly to see what rates they could get. Two people called & were given the lowest rate, which had been found on Travelocity. I tried calling & no one answered the phone for over an hour. When I did get through, the person answering would not match the Travelocity price, even though I mentioned the others in my group receiving it. I decided to wait & try again. After 2 more calls, talking to 2 different people, I was quoted rack rate & no discount & a business discount which was almost $40 more per night than the Travelocity rate. When I told the person I was on an expense account, had to find the best deal possible, & was she sure she couldn't match the Travelocity rate, she said she understood & I had to do what I had to do. I booked the room through Travelocity.

I arrived at 10 p.m. after 7 hours of driving. The person at the front desk was nice, & as is standard, took my credit card information & assigned me a room. When I explained all the problems I had booking the room, she was very apologetic & said they always matched the Travelocity price. I went to my room which was on the first floor, across from the ice/vending machines & elevator. I walked across the room & was surprised to find the balcony door unlocked. The room was directly above the parking garage. I tried in vain to latch the door, but when I couldn't I went back to the lobby to ask for another room. Tina told me that for a $10 per night charge they could upgrade me, but there should have been a bar on the side of the balcony door opposite the latch I could have put down to secure the door. It was late, I was tired, so I agreed to the extra $20 & received a room on the 4th floor, again directly across from the elevator. Imagine my surprise when I found the balcony door unlatched & could not latch it. I called Tina again & she told me maintenance had just checked the room I vacated & there had been a bar there to secure the door. She really didn't have another room in which to place me at that time. I went back to the door & after carefully manipulating the lock, got it to latch. I called back to say I had figured it out. She apologized for all the inconveniences I had experienced. I asked for the extra room charge to be removed from my bill, which she agreed to do. Two days after returning home, it is still a pending charge on my credit card.

The room was nice with comfortable beds, pillows, & chairs. The toiletries are above standard. The wifi existed, but I tapped into another unsecured network with a stronger signal. Overall, I was pleased with the room, aside from the latching problem with the balcony door.

The morning breakfast included a variety of breakfast meats, scrambled egg squares, cereals, yogurt, drinks, breads, and some fruit. It was ok, but nothing special.

Upon checking out, I asked the person at the desk for a receipt showing a zero balance owed. She refused saying I had booked through Travelocity & that was my receipt. When I told her they had taken my credit card number, had it on file, & I wanted to ensure there were no charges on it, she simply looked at me saying they would delete it from the system & would not give me a receipt. As stated above, my card is still showing pending charges from the inn.

While the rooms were comfortable, I will never again stay in this motel. The customer service attitude I received over the phone & from the person when I was checking out was non existent. They truly seemed not to care whether they got my business or not, & now they definitely will not again. Tina was the only one who seemed caring, but with the credit card charge still pending after she said she would remove it, I have to wonder.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank lovetowander61
Write a ReviewReviews (1,109)

Reviewed 25 May 2010

After checking out a couple hotels in Newport we found this amazing place right on the beach. The rates were great compared to the other near by hotels and the front desk also arranged for a couple discounts. The rooms were a great size to accomodate us and our small child. In addition we had easy access to the beach and a beautiful view from the room. Our trip up the Oregon Coast was amazing, even with the unpredictable weather.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2010

I have zero qualms with the room in any way so I want to address the high points. I am a tightwad and wanted to spend a little bit less on lodging but we had stayed here four years ago and we've always wanted to return and so glad we did. We were on our way to dinner when we noticed the complimentary Smoked Salmon Chowder which ultimately became dinner for us and was better than any restaurant meal ($30 minimum saved on dinner). The wife asked for the recipe and was told it comes from Ivar's in Seattle. We are from Kentucky and haven't heard of Ivar's but found out how expensive the chowder is when we tried to order it...nice touch ESI. Didn't have room for the free home-made cookies so I feel like I was cheated LOL. The breakfast buffet was outstanding and saved us minimum $15. We would have spent an additional $45-50 eating out had we not stayed here and the food was outstanding. That may not seem like much to some but it's a HUGE deal to me.
It's interesting how expectations and experiences can differ between individuals. I was shocked to read some unfavorable reviews of ESI but can only tell you that we love the place and would recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed 18 May 2010

We were charged an additional $100.00 on our bill. We were told when we arrived that we had to pay additional deposit of $100.00. We were assured that this deposit would be refunded. And this deposit was NOT refunded. Instead releasing the authorization amount the front desk staff CHARGED our account. Now I am going to have spend a great deal of time, fighting with them to get our money back. NOT a fun experience and this causes a great deal of stress for me. What I needed was some relaxation NOT this STRESS. The room had a stained duvet cover and a hair in the tub too.

3  Thank EugeneTraveler77
Reviewed 17 May 2010

We decided to extend our vacation and started to look for a hotel in Newport. After checking out a few, we came upon the Elizabeth Inn, my wife was able to get a $50 discount on a King room so we decided to take a look at the room. The hotel clerk took us up to the room to let us view it. It passed my wife's test for staying the night so we took the room. It was the last room. The room is fairly spacious with a sitting area right next to the glass doors which has a wonderful view of the ocean. There is a couch with a coffee table and fireplace in the sitting area. The room came with a King Bed which was "Springy" but comfortable. The room also had a table with two chairs across from the bed. The TV is older, not a flat screen. The sink and mirror are right next to the bed separated by a small divider. The bathroom has a shower and tub. The room is on the dark side as it depends on the outside light to light up the room. When it is dark outside, it is dark inside because the lights use energy efficient light bulbs. The room had a burn in the carpet from an iron and had a stain on the bathtub which looks bad for a hotel room that is trying to be higher class. We were treated with several free food items while we stayed included a salmon chowder, fresh baked cookies and a free breakfast which included eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, toaster waffles, bagels, cereal and a few other items. The clerk had mentioned that they have been remodeling the hotel, so I hope that they will make a few more updates (beds and hotel interior) to their hotel but otherwise it was a nice stay.

Reviewed 16 May 2010

This hotel is built with no thought for noise,so if you are unfortunate to get a heavy-footed godzilla in the room above you ,forget about any rest . Doors slamming, plumbing noisy. I can hear the television in the next room. Not a good value unless you get a top floor room, and even then I wouldn't spend the money.
The ocean is beautiful but I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 May 2010

This hotel has a great location high on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The hotel building is nothing special however. The lobby is the size of a large walk in closet that gets way to full of people trying to check in or out with a very slow elevator two feet away from front desk, this creates a bad bottleneck. The rooms are small, boring and in poor condition, the view is great however. The worst thing is the pool area and the cold walk across the parking basement to get to it.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business