“Wonderful hotel”

Elizabeth Oceanfront Suites
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 8 June 2010

Our two day stay was enjoyable. The staff are excellent & approachable. They were quick to answer any questions & assist. The front desk & housekeeping staff were very helpful when I thought I had lost a parcel in our room that I had misplaced & their assistance & concern was much appreciated. The staff there are exceptionally nice & very friendly.
It was nice to have some internet access in the lobby. The room was well laid out, comfortable, bed excellent & very clean. Amazing view of the ocean. The pool was lovely with a view of the ocean & the hot tub very hot. The breakfast was good. Having afternoon chowder & evening warm cookies a very nice touch. The only suggestion to the hotel I would make is to put some kind of spring on the heavy room door to stop them from slamming shut as with everyone coming & going around checkout time you hear alot of doors slamming from 10-11 am. The elevator is very slow but these were minor inconveniences to an overall great experience. This was the best place we stayed on the Oregon coast & plan to return.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,109)

Reviewed 7 June 2010

Just returned from two nights at the Elizabeth with my wife for the Newport Marathon. Overall I was please. The hotel has a great view, plenty of parking and the room is quite spacious.

The bed was fairly comfortable, no noise issues for us, good shower pressure, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The included breakfast is a little on the skimpy side, no bread for toast, no muffins or pastries or the like, but they have the rest of the usual stuff.

The TV's aren't the best, but the rooms do include a DVD player which is nice. Our room was pretty stuffy (the fireplace has a pilot light and there is no AC). But leaving the balcony door open solved that.

The pool is fine, as is the jacuzzi, workout area is sparse, but better than nothing (one elliptical, one bike, one treadmill (non functioning).

Overall I'd say it's not a bad choice. It probably won't wow you, but if you get a good rate, I doubt you'll be disappointed either. The view is certainly the best thing going for the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Based on other reviews here, my husband and I chose the Elizabeth Street Inn for a 2-night visit to Newport in mid-April. We loved the fact that all the rooms have both an ocean-side terrace AND a fireplace. Despite the typical Oregon coast weather, we were cozy in our room with a fantastic view up and down the gorgeous Nye Beach.

Parking is convenient and covered--a good thing for keeping off some of the inevitable sea mist. Check-in was efficient, although getting to the room included quite a long wait for the single small elevator. We stayed in a King room, which had both a microwave and a refrigerator. It was nice to be able to pick up some nibbles for lunches and not have to eat out as often.

Our room was just across the hall from the elevator and breakfast room, but we did not experience noise from either source. But speaking of breakfast, this one was excellent, with a number of hot and cold choices and REALLY good coffee (no need to run out for good stuff elsewhere).

Even though the hotel sits on a rather high bluff, getting to the beach was easy. Just a few steps down the street is an easy-access ramp that winds down to the sand.

While we have not stayed at any of the other hotels in Newport, we will certainly pick the Elizabeth Street Inn the next time we return. We see no reason to look around when we were so completely satisfied with our stay here.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2010

They have a fabulous view of the ocean and has several close beach access areas from the hotel. We were very surprised how quiet the rooms were, especially with a sold out weekend. The prices are a little high, but if you are looking for a total package from your trip, this is definitely a place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2010

I had trouble with the Elizabeth St. Inn from the first call to make a reservation. I was going on a business trip to Newport & several of my colleagues had made plans to stay at the inn. Other members of my group had checked Travelocity & Expedia, but decided to call the inn directly to see what rates they could get. Two people called & were given the lowest rate, which had been found on Travelocity. I tried calling & no one answered the phone for over an hour. When I did get through, the person answering would not match the Travelocity price, even though I mentioned the others in my group receiving it. I decided to wait & try again. After 2 more calls, talking to 2 different people, I was quoted rack rate & no discount & a business discount which was almost $40 more per night than the Travelocity rate. When I told the person I was on an expense account, had to find the best deal possible, & was she sure she couldn't match the Travelocity rate, she said she understood & I had to do what I had to do. I booked the room through Travelocity.

I arrived at 10 p.m. after 7 hours of driving. The person at the front desk was nice, & as is standard, took my credit card information & assigned me a room. When I explained all the problems I had booking the room, she was very apologetic & said they always matched the Travelocity price. I went to my room which was on the first floor, across from the ice/vending machines & elevator. I walked across the room & was surprised to find the balcony door unlocked. The room was directly above the parking garage. I tried in vain to latch the door, but when I couldn't I went back to the lobby to ask for another room. Tina told me that for a $10 per night charge they could upgrade me, but there should have been a bar on the side of the balcony door opposite the latch I could have put down to secure the door. It was late, I was tired, so I agreed to the extra $20 & received a room on the 4th floor, again directly across from the elevator. Imagine my surprise when I found the balcony door unlatched & could not latch it. I called Tina again & she told me maintenance had just checked the room I vacated & there had been a bar there to secure the door. She really didn't have another room in which to place me at that time. I went back to the door & after carefully manipulating the lock, got it to latch. I called back to say I had figured it out. She apologized for all the inconveniences I had experienced. I asked for the extra room charge to be removed from my bill, which she agreed to do. Two days after returning home, it is still a pending charge on my credit card.

The room was nice with comfortable beds, pillows, & chairs. The toiletries are above standard. The wifi existed, but I tapped into another unsecured network with a stronger signal. Overall, I was pleased with the room, aside from the latching problem with the balcony door.

The morning breakfast included a variety of breakfast meats, scrambled egg squares, cereals, yogurt, drinks, breads, and some fruit. It was ok, but nothing special.

Upon checking out, I asked the person at the desk for a receipt showing a zero balance owed. She refused saying I had booked through Travelocity & that was my receipt. When I told her they had taken my credit card number, had it on file, & I wanted to ensure there were no charges on it, she simply looked at me saying they would delete it from the system & would not give me a receipt. As stated above, my card is still showing pending charges from the inn.

While the rooms were comfortable, I will never again stay in this motel. The customer service attitude I received over the phone & from the person when I was checking out was non existent. They truly seemed not to care whether they got my business or not, & now they definitely will not again. Tina was the only one who seemed caring, but with the credit card charge still pending after she said she would remove it, I have to wonder.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank lovetowander61
Reviewed 25 May 2010

After checking out a couple hotels in Newport we found this amazing place right on the beach. The rates were great compared to the other near by hotels and the front desk also arranged for a couple discounts. The rooms were a great size to accomodate us and our small child. In addition we had easy access to the beach and a beautiful view from the room. Our trip up the Oregon Coast was amazing, even with the unpredictable weather.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2010

I have zero qualms with the room in any way so I want to address the high points. I am a tightwad and wanted to spend a little bit less on lodging but we had stayed here four years ago and we've always wanted to return and so glad we did. We were on our way to dinner when we noticed the complimentary Smoked Salmon Chowder which ultimately became dinner for us and was better than any restaurant meal ($30 minimum saved on dinner). The wife asked for the recipe and was told it comes from Ivar's in Seattle. We are from Kentucky and haven't heard of Ivar's but found out how expensive the chowder is when we tried to order it...nice touch ESI. Didn't have room for the free home-made cookies so I feel like I was cheated LOL. The breakfast buffet was outstanding and saved us minimum $15. We would have spent an additional $45-50 eating out had we not stayed here and the food was outstanding. That may not seem like much to some but it's a HUGE deal to me.
It's interesting how expectations and experiences can differ between individuals. I was shocked to read some unfavorable reviews of ESI but can only tell you that we love the place and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple