“I could have stayed in the room just for the View I had.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport

Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Rogue River, Oregon
“I could have stayed in the room just for the View I had.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

I needed to go to Newport for a couple days and since I've had such nice stays at Shilo's around Oregon I decided to stay there. I was told my room had a view and that was an understatement. I was on the 3rd floor and the view of the ocean was great.

The staff was helpful at all times. Parking was right next to the elevator which is wonderful when you have a severe walking disability.

My room was clean and fresh. I'll be staying here whenever I go to Newport from now on.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 'Tower" have great views of the Ocean.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dieterich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night because of the view. Rates on Expedia stated rooms were $110. When we checked in we were told, rather condescendingly, that the rooms would be $160-$175 total with taxes and fees. Realize that oceanfront views are expensive but after we had been there two hours and the fog rolled in and we couldn't even see the beach( not the management's fault) we were then faced with spending the evening in a very outdated room with a 15year old TV with snowy reception and a very hard bed. Needless to say, we went for pizza and beer and headed on down the road the next day.

• Stayed August 2013
Black Diamond, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed 2 nights. Pros: Location is great, they have stairs (93!) to get down to the beach right in back of the hotel. The beach area is nice and close to some tide pools. We were in Building D, we had the extra big rooms, views were great, however there are no balconies. We were on the 2 floor, which is right above the restaurant. The front desk staff was pleasant and helpful.
Cons: The beds are very hard, so if you like hard beds this would not be a con for you. They were fine for me but some of my other party did not like them at all. T.V's are not flat screens, there are no balconies. Shilo Café had great breakfast food.
When we got into our room there was a sock left in the corner of the room, which made us feel like they did not vacuum well between visits, and when the maid cleaned our room the second day she did not leave an extra roll of toilet paper and we ran out in the morning and had to use the Kleenex. We had drinks and snacks in the evening down in the lounge. They were good but service was really really slow.
Overall, the stay was very nice and we had a great time. For the price the rooms were good enough and the views and beach access was excellent.

Room Tip: Get the larger rooms in building D and get on the higher floors for great views. Room 260 building D...
2 Thank Mageeclan
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Dear Mageeclan,

I am happy that you and your family had a great time and enjoyed your overall stay with us here at the Newport Shilo Inn. I do apologize for those housekeeping mishaps and will make sure to follow up with my team to ensure these details are corrected in the future. Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback and we look forward to having you join us in the future as our guests.

Rio Rancho
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

The 2 rooms had great ocean views, check in reception was terrific, but the 2nd day services were not so great. We begged for dry towels, for the trash to be emptied, for toilet paper, for the bed to be changed, and received an unfeeling "sorry" when we checked out and voiced our issues.

1 Thank dixiedriscoll
Dear dixiedriscoll,

My goal is to provide all of our guests with an enjoyable and relaxing visit throughout their entire stay and I am truly sorry this did not occur. Offering this information is very appreciated and valuable for us to improve on our efforts. I will certainly inform my reception team that they did a “terrific” job and for them to keep delivery exception guest service.

Mike Willock

Travellers are raving about these Newport hotels

Springfield, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

We arrived in Newport with no reservations, 2 young boys who wanted to swim, and a husband who wanted a view of the ocean. We were very pleased with our stay at the Shilo Inn. We were able to get an ocean front room with the indoor pool and restaurant right downstairs. The hotel is a little outdated and no air conditioners, but it is the Oregon Coast and rarely is it above 70 degrees. Our fan was broken in our room and when I took it to the desk they said someone would be right up with another one. Within 10 minutes the maintenance man had brought us a huge fan that worked great. The restaurant was very good and we received coupons when we checked in for dinner that night and breakfast in the morning. They had two indoor pools, one that is only 3 feet deep in the entire pool. This was a bonus for us as our young boys (7 & 8) are not great swimmers. We can not wait to stay at the Shilo again when we come to Newport!

1 Thank Rachel W
Dear Rachel W,

I am delighted to hear about your great experience at the Newport Shilo Inn and that we were able to take care of your family during your stay. Having the options of 2 pools is a great amenity for active families during their stay and the restaurant onsite is a perfect way to wind down the evening with your family. We are excited to have your family stay with us again in the future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the Shilo for MANY years. We have always been in building A in the past, but were in D this trip. It took a long time to get checked in, and then when we finally were, one of our rooms was occupied! After walking back to the office and a 15 minute wait, we were switched to a different room away from the rest of our party. Rooms were ok, but hot, no AC and we could barely open windows due to a "Jerry-rigged" board obstructing the window. Toilet didn't work at first flush and the hall smelled a bit like urine. The location is excellent with a great view, but I am sad to say that after all of these years as loyal patrons we probably won't be back.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Kph9,

I am truly sorry that you had to wait for an extensive period of time upon checking into the hotel. Regarding this matter I will make sure to review my front desk staffing schedule to more appropriately service our guests. Please note that due to regulations for safety concerns the windows are limited from fully opening and additional inserts have been installed for this reason. Please contact the property directly in the future and we will prioritize your requests.

Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Booked this through Travelocity and would have left if had not already paid the last night.
We booked an extra large room with an ocean view. It was as described and a large room with two queen beds, a couple of comfy chairs around a small table, a desk with chair, and refrigerator (very small) and microwave. The room was a bit musty but almost everything on the Oregon coast is.
First issue was the cleanliness of the bathroom. Existing mildew on in the tile in the shower was pretty ugly. The black mildew/mold was heavily in the grout and especially at the wall tub junction. Pretty nasty. The area behind the toilet was disgusting. Yellow mat of accumulated yuck was about the size of a dinner plate. Lastly, the use of glass drinking glasses is always problematic especially when how the housekeeping staff may clean them. The lipstick residues on one of the cups was not attractive.
Second issue was that we were the victim of a theft of a Kindle. This was in a locked room and sitting in plain sight. We were gone for about two hours and on the way out had asked housekeeping for two additional coffee packets AND no other service. The most concern we had about this was the response of the management when informed of the theft. “It is not our responsibility” was the mantra that all used. The police officer that took our theft report was even startled by this claim. Behind a locked door (real key not card) there should be some security. It should be noted that we literally “tossed” the room in our search for the device. We found significant cleanliness issues with the room during this process. Crackers under the bed and who knows what at the head of the bead along the wall – at least one French fry and a whole lot of disgusting other stuff was found.
The swimming pools were okay although not very clean with slightly hazy water.
While an ideal location, this facility raises some significant concerns and we will not stay in another Shilo.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gussohn
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Dear gussohn,

I am sorry to hear about your experience and certainly appreciate you providing your feedback. I will personally look into the suggestions you have made and address them accordingly with the appropriate personnel.