“It was ok”

Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Newport
“It was ok”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

The front desk staff was great. I was able to check in early. I was put in the "pet" area rooms.
So first impression. Great views can't be beat.
However the room was very dated and smelled musty (at least it wasn't dog) opened a window and fixed that.
The room was clean. The beds were clean. I always check the beds. I was upset because both the blankets on the beds had several cigarette burn holes in them.
To me I can live with outdated furniture but burns in something that Im going to be sleeping on. Not ok. You can do better.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Newport, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Camconsmama,
We always appreciate our guests sending us feedback regarding their stay at the Newport Shilo Inn. We will address these matters you have mentioned and I will work with the housekeeping team to have these type of items removed from the property. We are currently working on updating much of our in room items.
Best Regards,
Mike Willock, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I am very careful about leaving valuables in a hotel room. In fact, I simply don't bring anything valuable when I travel, but need electronics on business trips. When we went out to walk the beach I left my new headphones for my iphone on the table, along with my other business paperwork. It was obvious housekeeping came and made the beds. They did not clean the table, or collect the dirty cups and glasses- but they did take my volume control iphone headphones that I intentially left behind and took out of my purse before we left the room. Not only was that annoying- but also the front desk was not cooperative in the discussion. They would only consider the possibility that I either lost them, OR that housekeeping 'accidentally scooped them up in the linen'. All they needed to say to satisfy me would have been that they took the situation seriously, and would keep an eye on that particular housekeeper. My daughter saw the housekeeper later in the day and described her as very rough looking. The beach is beautiful, and very clean. Even in Augus the wind and temp were very cold. You need sweatshirt/jacket when on the beach, or at the lighthouse nearby.

1 Thank Avellino2014
Dear Avellino2014,
Thank you for your feedback and I have discussed this claim with my housekeeping team. We have many items in our lost and found that are brought up from the rooms and I will personally go through these again to help locate your device. Thank you for staying with us and have a wonderful day.
Best Regards,
Mike Willock, General Manager
Bandon, Oregon
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Go to the Comfort Inn up the street...This Shiloh Inn is really rundown and has seen better days...the first thing that assaults you as you enter your room is the disinfectant,once the disinfectant smell fades, it's the smell of dog...they put us in a pet friendly room and we didn't have a pet...the heat didn't work either...when I complained to the check out staff, he pretended like he didn't even hear my complaint and thanked us for telling him about the heat...Building A and B need to be upgraded...and get this...they still use keys...not card keys, but big heavy metal keys...go anywhere else in Newport but not here.....

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Newport hotels

Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were very pleased with the ocean views from our room. The room was very clean and totally Wheelchair Accessible. The personnel were very accommodating and accessible.
The restaurants attached to the hotel had very good food and ocean views.

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean views, even thou most are.
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This place is the most ideal location. Right on the beach with easy access stairs down to the beach. A 10 minute stroll to nearby Historic Nye Beach shops, restaurants, attractions. The front desk gal was awesome! I failed to catch her name, but check-in was a most pleasant experience! The room was nice and clean and housekeeping did a great job. I believe the property is ready for a refresh. Some paint, flooring, new furniture and new appliances would be a welcome improvement and make this a 5-star review.

Room Tip: Rent a room in the high-rise, 4th floor.
Coos Bay, Oregon
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Superior staff, worthy of a big city Ritz Carlton, perfect location right on the beach. The rooms are clean and that's where it ends. There just isn't enough rouge to put on the old girl;s cheeks. The place is a wreck, pretty much what you might expect to find in a third rate Motel 6. And only $189 per night for a smallish single king! Yes, that is with the AAA discount.

The entry door was quite loose in the jamb and there was no security chain or bar (we moved a chair in front of the door at my wife's insistence), the coffee maker didn't work (maintenance was very kind though and went to the lobby and brought my wife a cup of hot coffee). I'm old so i can easily recognize "old" when it comes to furniture and fixtures and believe me the innards of the rooms are OLD. Other than that, it is a great place to stay. And Georgies is just down the street.

Room Tip: Lower level is better. You can park in front of your room with only 4 or 5 stairs to navigate. All...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Lynnwood, Washington
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This was a good choice. Clean, well priced, good location, friendly and knowledgeable staff. Breakfast could be improved. Good coffee other hot foods were no hot! Television in room are old and viewing choice not good. Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business