“Would Stay Again”
Review of Motel 6 Newport

Motel 6 Newport
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Stayed in king room on 3rd floor with a balcony. Hotel has an elevator so no problem. Big room with good view of Yaquina Bridge. Nice sitting area with wet bar, fridge and micro. Now comes the WHAT????? part NO COFFEE MAKER. Lobby has coffee but closes at 9pm and doesn't open till 8am . So all you coffee drinkers get coffee before 9pm and micro it the next morn. Come on guys even super 8 has coffee makers in rooms.

Room Tip: Get balcony room and get coffee nite before
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 March 2013

We called ahead and made reservations for Saturday, March 30, 2013. I asked the receptist the difference beween the standard king room and the deluxe king room and she said the deluxe king room had a balcony to look at the bay and the yaquina bay bridge. We took that room $79 plus tax came up to $88. We specifically told the receptionist we wanted a non smoking room and she assured us that all the rooms were non smoking.

We arrived on Saturday and the female clerk was friendly and already had our reservatrion printed and cards for room 216 on the second floor. We paid and she told us the spa hours and the hours for coffee, juice, etc in the morning by the front desk. Further that the front desk is closed at 8:30 but we could access the building with our card throught the side door.

We grabbed our luggage and headed up the second floor. The hallway smells somewhat musty - would suggest windows or vents that can be opened on nice days to air it out.

Room 216.....opened the door - smells VERY MUSTY. We opened the sliding glass door and pulled over the screen and let the room airout while we went shopping, etc. 4 hours later came back and smelled so much better. Wonder why the clerk doesn't air out the room prior to visit by customer?

The TV and VCR - yes, that's right the old time of 20" TV and can you believe an actual VCR player? I can't believe the owner has not yet disposed of those two and installed a flat screen TV.

The bed - oh my goodness.....HARD AS A ROCK! Owner: If you are reading this, go to Kohl's and buy a memory foam mattress topper for that bed. Who can possibly get a good nights rest on that thing? The sheets and the bedding were clean.

LAMP: Decided to read my magazine. Turned the on button several times. Couldn't figure out why the lamp would not come on. Looked under the shade. THERE WAS NO BULB IN THE LAMP! My husband took the bulb from the lamp on his side of the bed and put it in the lamp on my side of bed.

The green carpet......FILTHY. Get it professionallly cleaned or if it is stained, then please remove it and put in new flooring. Are you kidding? We didn't even walk on it without our shoes or socks on our feet.

BATHROOM lineolum: If this is a non smoking room, then why is there cigarette burn right in the floor in front of the toilet and why does the room have that stale smoke smell?

Towels: Went to wash my face. No wash clothes at washbasin nor in the bathroom. Only two hand towels and two bathtowels.

Furniture: chipped everywhere AND the next morning my husband found chewed gum stucked to the side of the TV stand and there was dryed up toilet paper put over a vent on the wall by the bed.

When we checked out, we asked the male clerk if they are open to hearing suggestions for improvements. And he said they were. After stating all of the above, he said "well, it's not something we haven't heard before. All I say is to go to the website and write a review".

OWNER IF YOU READING THIS: You need to update these rooms right away. Not only will we not ever stay there, nor will we recommend it to anyone else. If you think you can't afford it, I say "you can't afford not to". Your hotel will not survive with these horrible rooms.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jwe888
Reviewed 25 February 2013

You can see the festival tents from this motel. Be prepared to pay an extra $100 night on Friday and Saturday night because of the festival. WOW The room was not bad considering the price, but they need to vacuum under furniture (saw french fries under a table), and around the corners of the carpet. Everything needed to be dusted. I dusted the furniture before putting anything on them, and there was a bad smell in our room. The towels were so thin that I needed to use 2 of them just to dry off. 1 of our pillows was so flat that you would nott even know that you had a pillow. At least the sheets were clean as was the bathroom. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank outoftowners2
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We went during the Seafood and Wine Festival so the location was great and we thought it was worth the high prices for the concience. Wrong not only was it filthy,but the service was awful. Some people don't understand the term guest, customer or patron, I think since it was the festival they figure they were doing us a favor by allowing us the privlidge of staying at their poorly managed motel. I can handle a place that's old and even a little warn around the edges but this place is just plain very poorly maintained. When we had a problem with no hot water for the second time and called the front desk we were basically called liars when the manager appeared in the hallway stating the water was hot in a different room would I like to come see for myself? Rude rude rude. Certainly not the way to treat a guest or a customer. Well lesson learned, next year we will just pay the cab fare to stay at a nice hotel with good customer service that's a bit farther from the festival. Festival was fantastic by the way ;)

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Travelblu
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Good location, and friendly desk help, but that's all that was good. The entire hotel smelled like B.O., the carpet was crunchy and dirty, the tub had a ring around it, the bathroom counter was falling off. Breakfast was only from 8-9, and they ran out before that. The coffee was good though. Oh, the couch and chairs in the room were very faded, and the couch had tears in it. I never sat on it because I was afraid of catching something! Free would have been too much to spend on this room. Would definitely never stay here again!!

Room Tip: Plan ahead so you can get a room in a different hotel than this one.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Dawn C
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I am not picky but.... The hotel was loacted close to where we were going so we thought it would be ok. I have a 22 month old. I called before to make sure they had cribs and was informed that yes, they did. When we got there I was told that they don't have cribs because it's a liability... next we went to our room. The halls smell of old stale not really sure but possibly smoke? The room on the other hand smelled of sewer. Once we closed the toilet lid and drain to the bathtub that seemed to go away. However, they have NO air conditioning and NO screens on the window but they do have wood bars. I have a little one so used the love seat to block the window which is also where my little one wound up sleeping. So needless to say the room was HOT all night long. They don't mention that they offer breakfast but... the breakfast they offer is coffee and muffins. When I went to drop off the keys I noticed that the counter person was cutting the muffins with his barehands on the back counter. Keep in mind there is NO A/C and this guy stunk of BO badly the day before and he's a smoker so I can only imagine what those muffins tasted like since there isn't a sink in there for him to wash his hands. The beds were hard and the pillows very lumpy and the front doors all slam (you can imagine what that's like at 2 am)! All in all if you are looking for a place to stay for the night it's fine (think Motel 6 minus the a/c). But keeping this in mind the Holiday Inn Express is right up the street and they were $30 more. BUT... I know they have cribs and their continental breakfast is decent. One last comment.... the advertise wifi... keep in mind that it is very intermittent. They kept having to reboot the server to get it to work. Also, they have VCR's in the room in case you have a little one that wants to bring their favorite movie. The backside of the hotel backs up to a camping area which isn't bad but remember no a/c or screens so if you can either deal with heat or flies....

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Debra J
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We would have rather slept in the car. This was terrible. If there were zero stars I would have given those out. Upon arrival, I wept. We spent the first hour of our vacation cleaning our own room because I didn't trust that having staff reclean it would be much better. There was scum in the shower. There was hair in the tub. There were damp, sticky, and crunchy spots on the carpet. The inch wide strips of carpet touching the walls were grey on otherwise greenish carpet from negligent vacuuming. There was something with the consistency of snot (snot may be wishful thinking....) Stuck to the nightstands. I wish I could say this room hadn't been cleaned but the linens smelled like soap and there were vacuum tracks. The woman at the front desk had specifically said that our timing was perfect as our room had just been cleaned. When I finally regained my composure I approached the woman for new towels ( as ours had been used to clean) and new pillowcases and she was what I like to call a "cee u next Tuesday": defensive, confrontational...you could have cut the sarcasm with a knife. This was awful. AWFULLLLLL! PLEASE DON'T STAY HERE. let's put these guys out of business.

• Stayed: July 2012