“2 or 3 stars depending. Not great, but can be serviceable for one night”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Tough review. I've stayed here a few times in recent years. It's never going to be above a 3 star property (and even for that, it's 3 stars for it's price range), but it can be a definite "one night on the way" stay. However, if you get one of the really bad rooms (hint, the ones in the back on the lower level facing the ocean are really bad, avoid like the plague), it's barely 2 stars.

The Good: Front desk is very friendly, price is very nice, and location is quite good. Parking is decent.

The Problems: Room quality varies from "you know, for the price, this is okay" to "OMG, get me the tent". It's not the cleanest, certainly NOT the most quiet, but some of the rooms are downright bad - this year I stayed in one where the curtains were see through and the bathroom was pretty sketchy.

I think if the property just went through a basic rehab I could give it 3 stars (for the price), but at this time I struggle to recommend it; you're FAR better off spending the (many more) dollars at the Comfort Inn literally a block away, which is a few classes better a property easily.

Room Tip: Simply put, I'd rather go to the dentist than stay in one of the lower level / ocean facing room...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 11 August 2013

As soon as we stepped into the room there was a strong chemical smell mixed with a horrible air freshener smell. It was so bad we had to prop open the door and the window to get the chemicalish smell out of the room. Soon we noticed a strong odor under all the cover up sprays. Dog urine! It was so strong we left the hotel and walked around town until we were so tired we came back and went to bed. We even sprayed Lysol disinfectant as well as animal odor remover, and Febreeze candles. These didn't even touch the strong smell of dog pee. We slept with the window AND door propped open. We checked out right away in the morning because the smell made us literally sick it was so bad. We also now have flea bites all over our arms and legs thanks to our not so great pet room. (We didn't go to the beach so it's no possibly way it was sand fleas BTW). Mentioned to the gal at the front desk and I received about a $13 discount (less than we spent on trying to make it smell better). When we got home our bags that were on the floor REEK of dog pee!! So gross!!! I guess the moral of this story is if you want a place that smells tolerable enough to be comfortable in the room, and don't want your things to smell like dog urine even after you leave the hotel, then don't stay here. Wish we at least got an offer on a future stay at another Choice Hotel, or more of a refund than a measly $13ish bucks.
Signed,
P.O.ed Guest (literally)

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Mullihm
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Like some one rlse said you get what you pay for. Woke up too bed bugs crawling on the bed and childern with bites on them. Searched room to look at how bad it was and found used panties between bed and wall! Went to front desk and they offered to refund 10%! Demanded refund and spent the rest of the afternoon sterilizing our clothes. awesome start to vacation

• Stayed: July 2013
EconoLodgeNewport, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

I would like to apologized to you again that you had this experience at our hotel. I wish that you would have mentioned finding the undergarmets when you spoke to us at the front desk, though I have set up some new policies for my housekeepers so we can prevent both the problems you experienced in the future. We did issue you a refund and offer to launder your clothes, and I would like to know how we could have made your stay better. I am sure you will be pleased to know we have since had the room isolated and treated, and further inspection shows the rest of our rooms were not affected. To prevent the unfortunate circumstances of your trip we are instituting stronger prevention policies. If you would like to give us another try to give you the kind of stay you should have enjoyed, please contact me and I will set up a stay in our suite free of charge.

Dawn Cuevas, General Manager.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

You get what you pay for, but in this case we got more.

We had never stayed at this econolodge before, having always stayed (without naming names) at motels with a big number 6 on their logo because of their pet policy, and the fact that we always travel with out cat.

The room was quiet, everything worked and the staff were friendly.

Best of all they are one of the only motel which accept pets.

The A/C unit worked nicely as did the microwave and refrigerator.

Dont be put off by the appearance of the exterior, which could use some updating.

Would definately stay in this econolodge again and am open to trying others because of our experience at this one.

Room Tip: The fitness center and swimming pool were not terrible, they just did not have them.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

I wanted to take a brief moment to thank you for your review, and say that we appreciate you taking your time to post what you thought of your stay. We do strive to have quiet, clean rooms and friendly, inviting staff. We hope you will stay with again in the future.

Dawn Cuevas, General Manager

Reviewed 2 June 2013

First off, having worked in the industry for many years I've seen people who book motels like this based on the price and yet expect the same condition and amenities as a 5 star property and are upset when they don't get that. I'm not that guy and understand that since Econo is included in the name that all I should expect is a no frills room to lay my head for the night.

The EconoLodge in Newport definitely meets that.

Unfortunately where so many "bargain" motels fall short is they feel that since they are cheap they only have to meet low expectations and that's not the case. For the price that we paid here I don't expect a business center or heated pool but I should be able to expect a clean room, free of defects. Well... it was pretty clean but there were several defects including no lighting on the steep staircase that we had to traverse in the dark down to our room. There is no such thing as such a bargain that I shouldn't be able to expect the property to look out for my safety and lighting a steep, exterior stairwell would be one of those little things that make a difference between an excellent bargain motel and a craptacular, "roach" motel.

The EconoLodge fell somewhere in between.

We arrived late and the young lady in the office was very helpful. Once we struggled into our room it was OK, but really in just mediocre condition. On the coast mold is an issue and there were bad mold stains in the shower caulking. Otherwise the room was pretty clean and served its purpose. The room appeared to have been used pretty hard and patched many times by unskilled labor which was rather offputting. I've outgrown college apartments by a couple of decades by now.

The room did have a peekaboo ocean view but no awning over the walkway so as soon as we walked outside on the rainy day we spent there we got soaked. It wasn't just the rain but water pouring off the roof onto our heads as we tried to open the door. Not fun.

Breakfast? I don't know why they even advertise breakfast. It was 3 different types of bread and watered down juice.

So overall I would call this a mediocre, bargain motel. I've stayed at plenty of this type of place that would rate 5 stars in my book. This one just wasn't there

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fred C
Reviewed 1 June 2013

The rooms are not brand new by any stretch, but they are clean and comfortable with a nice view of the ocean and the staff was super friendly. Anything you need as far as toiletries are given complimentary. Any request for nondisturbance or wake up or whatever is promptly adhered to. We enjoyed our stay there very much!

Room Tip: All the second floor rooms have a nice view of the ocean. Every room is quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Sure, it's a basic room at a budget motel, but the tub should drain and the toilet should stop running. Toilet also made funny noises when you sit down (honest, it wasn't me), like it wasn't bolted to the floor properly.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family