“Rude and Just Plain Mean!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Newport
“Rude and Just Plain Mean!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Stopped here at this hotel.. Tall large blond woman was in the office.The woman was hesitant about allowing a smoker in this hotel although the hotel is smoking..I guess it was a personal thing and just vindictive. Lady was going to give us a room and when told we smoked she hiked the price up and then told us that it was on the third or forth floor and said there were no elevators.. she offered us a first floor room at first before we told her we were smokers and then she said that room wasn't available and then the only one was the third floor and it was over 200.00 for the night ,also it was evident that she did not want us there. We were talking to a gentleman behind the counter and the large 40ish blond woman shushed him when he was trying to help.We have been to many hotels in this country and others and never walked out of one because of a staff members attitude.. I highly do not recommend this hotel and especially if you are a smoker..you are treated like a leper there..at least by this blond ,rude, office person...This hotel is going to just fade away if this woman remains there...terrible terrible attitude..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Michael P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Grants Pass, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the econo lodge and the beds are comfy, the room size is good and we got a window looking toward the beach. The bad thing was there was no fresh continental breakfast. There were just stale bagles. I would recommend this motel to people who don't really care for luxurious stays and people that want an affordable trip. The people that work there are not to friendly, but then again this was 2 years ago, so they may have been fired!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jtatom

Travellers are raving about these Newport hotels

Albany, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I booked a stay for the following weekend, in February. I had paused in the middle and went back to complete booking, and I noticed that when it was done that it had reserved my stay for the current evening, which was totally wrong. I assumed that it was because I had paused in the middle, so I cancelled the reservation, and then started to do it over again from scratch: I picked my dates, it showed me results, I picked out my rooms, and then completed the process. I don't check my email very often, so I didn't even think to look, and just trusted that the website did it correctly.

When I went in that weekend to check in, they couldn't find my reservation. I gave them my information and they looked it up and then told me that they marked my reservation as a no-show as it was for the weekend before (the day I booked the stay) and that I needed to call corporate to try to seek a resolution. She said that some others had the same issue. Luckily, she was able to get me the space I needed, and then honoured the original rate.

I called Choice Hotels customer service to see what they would do about refunding the room that their website mistakenly booked me for, and they sent me to an escalations person who entered a case for me. He was impatient and rude and it was apparent that he had no idea was asking for. I got a letter about 5 days later saying that they researched it and there was nothing they would do, even though I had paid double for the same reservation.

I called and explained to someone, and she told me that the network engineers were able to pull screenshots of my reservation as it was being made and that there was no indication that there was a problem with their website, so I was at fault. She said that the date that I made the reservation was what it showed in the dates field. I seriously doubt that they have screenshots, but even if they did, how would they be able to see a JavaScript issue based on that alone?

I am so angry that this is the best that they could do and I swear to God I will never stay at a Choice Hotel chain again and I will spread this message to every single person I know for the rest of my life, as well as posting this review on as many review websites that I can. What a bunch of jerks.

The staff at the Econo Lodge was very nice, however, and the value is good, assuming you don't experience the same thing as me and have to pay twice.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms are probably quieter, and you can actually have the window open. Double check you...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
dixie, washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I chose Econolodge having stayed in several others that were great. This one is a disaster, and I am glad to make it out alive. Sort of harsh maybe, but when the lights blinked and went out in our room when we arrived, and we complained, we were moved to another room. It was like a comedy of errors. The bed my sister had sounded like a whoopee cushion when she sat on it., the bedframe on mine made of plywood with screws sticking out of it. In the morning we went to shower and the shower head was not connected at all! there was no way to transfer the flow from the tub to the shower head. And the shower head was loose and wobbly. We tried to use the microwave, and the cord would not reach the outlet. When we wrangled it around so we could plug it in, the microwave did not work. My sister noticed the vent all blackened in the wall and when we went down to have the complimentary breakfast, we saw "Incase of fire" pull on the wall completely charred and burned! This place is an electrical nightmare waiting for another fire as it obviously had one before!!! DO NOT STAY HERE! I am planning on contacting the fire marshal in Newport. This place should be condemned until it can be totally rewired! It is not safe folks!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank joanne h
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

This place is scary. We had two rooms reserved for 6 people and 3 dogs. No access to electrical outlets which I need for a cpap machine. Moved mattress to find outlet. Lost power to clock and didn't even touch the plug. Lamps didn't work. Bathroom light went out and flickered for no reason. The other room lost power completely and had to move. The new rooms shower didn't work at all. In the hallway, the pull for the fire alarm had obviously seen fire damage as the wall was scorched and there was melted plastic. I would never stay there again...even on a bet.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Broncogrrl
Hermiston, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

I am a travel writer and my husband and I found this Econo Lodge after we had a bad experience at a different hotel we'd reserved and had to leave in a hurry. We checked several other hotels and settled on this one because it had the best price, was pet friendly and centrally located to all the tourist attractions. The staff at the front desk were very friendly and efficient. When we first entered the room it had a very clean and pleasant smell, but it wasn't perfumed like some hotel/motel rooms. Even though we were there when a large storm system was blowing through the room was very quiet and comfortable. The room we were given (#317) had an excellent ocean view. The bed linens were clean and the mattress was firm, but comfortable. We had our puppy with us and they had a dog walk area complete with doggy bags and trash bin for our convenience. Although we did not take advantage of it they have a continental breakfast every morning and we were told they have fresh waffles and syrup. We will definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: choose a room on the second floor facing west for an ocean view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hollis, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

I don't have big expectations for Econolodges. They are cheap and when I won't be spending much time in the room, I don't worry about it. This motel was ok, nothing fancy at all. The continental breakfast did not have many selections. Bed was comfortable, room was ok.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family