“More Than What I Paid For”
Review of Newport Bay Motel

Newport Bay Motel
Newport Bay Motel
Ranked #23 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Summitville, Ny
“More Than What I Paid For”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Nice corner room, clean, comfortable and roomy. Is it the Ritz? No, but it is much more than most 'bargain' motel rooms I have been in for the last month. Owners are very friendly and extremely helpful. Free Wi Fi, really as long as you keep your expectations in line, you can't go wrong by staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 41 - a corner efficiency with two bedrooms a living room and a kitchenette. Though you...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Jessheim, Norway
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Needed a place for one night of sleep. Big room, nicely equipped. It looked old and outdated though, but it was clean. People made a lot of noise from outside the motel, the walls didn´t help. Other than that it was an alright stay for the price. Free wifi.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Toris1
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is my 2nd trip to Newport for work in the last 3 weeks. After driving around for almost an hour, I came across Newport Bay and decided to give it a try. The staff at front desk were very welcoming and that's always a good first impression! The room was nice and tidy and the beds were well-maintained. There's plenty of great places nearby for lunch (where I'm writing this review right now) and plenty more near my place of work (Bayfront). Definitely will be back again!

Room Tip: Rooms are the top floor are great but if you have want to be near your car, the bottom floor borders...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Merk2013
Reviewed 31 May 2013

My mother, sister, nephew, my two sons and I came from Montana for an overnight stay. I found this hotel online after we had arrived and decided it had all of our required amenities based on the description in the website. We were most interested in the availability of the laundry facilities and continental breakfast due to our large party and long trip.
We checked in around 3 PM and headed straight to the beach. We planned to play for a few hours, return for dinner and showers and then wash up the clothes. We returned to the room shortly before 7:00. By the time dinner was eaten and all showers were taken, it was almost 9:00. Still plenty of time for laundry, or so we thought. Apparently the facilities here close at 8:30 PM and do not open back up until 8:30 AM. There was no mention of this on either website that I checked while searching. Inconvenient, to say the least.
One of the websites mentioned complimentary continental breakfast, as did the guest directory book in our room. When I went in search of it at 8:30 AM, I was informed that there had to be a certain amount of guests checking out for it to be provided and as we were the only checkout that morning, there would be no breakfast.
There was a large gap between the room entry door and the floor, so a very cold breeze was constantly moving through. During the heat of summer, this feature would have been delightful. The turntable in the microwave did not turn, the faucet in the kitchenette sink needs replaced, the toilet did not flush properly and there was a cluster of hair on the back of the toilet.
On a positive note, the bed was comfortable and the water pressure in the shower was divine. The front desk staff was friendly, though obviously embarrassed by the company's lack of follow through on offered amenities. I would never stay here again and would urge anyone, friend or foe, to seek other accommodations. I expect to get what I pay for. I will stick to Best Western from now on.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Tishariah
KellyzOregon, Manager at Newport Bay Motel, responded to this review, 2 June 2013
Let me first apologize for the agonizing stay that your review so boldly pointed out. The property believes that for the price of just 84.00 plus tax that you were charged for the 6 people occupying the room was a good deal especially based on the fact that the room was booked for only 4 at the time it was made. We understand that traveling is a tiring ordeal, and we were glad to accommodate your rather large party. I would like to address a few key issues with your review and I am doing so only because you mentioned them. In reading the problems that you discussed with the unit I referred back to my front desk log that is to record guest concerns or complaints that they may have during their stay. To my surprise I found no issues brought to the attention of the property managers or its staff. The turntable in the microwave, the gap with the entry door or the faucet in the kitchen sink, nor toilet not flushing properly and certainly not the "cluster of hair" you apparently found on the back of the toilet. I myself have traveled many miles across these United States and had I checked into a room and found exactly what you are stating you found I sure would of contacted the front office and had the situation rectified or found other accommodations. It is difficult to resolves problems, when the problems IF and when they occur are not related to the proper people to have them fixed. Other then the situation with the breakfast, that has been discontinued due to lack of participation with the guest. 9 out of 10 people do not even bother with the breakfast since there are numerous restaurants in the area that serve some fantastic breakfast items. The issue regarding the laundry and its hours. The laundry room hours are basic guidelines, thus meaning that the laundry room is basically open 24/7 for our guest to use as some do it in the early am and some as you would of done in the pm had you again contacted the front office regarding the issue. We supply quarters for the laundry and soap if our guest should require it.
I am unsure of the validity of your complaints (other then the breakfast) based solely on the fact that these issues only seems to come about after you checked out. At check out you left your keys on the front desk and again at that time did not related your problems to anyone. Other then your attempt to make this property seem disrespectful if its guest, I find that your issues were unfounded.
I feel that if we had known of these issues while you were here that they could of been resolved in a timely manner and you would of been hard pressed to write this review, but you decided not to give us a chance...

Travellers are raving about these Newport hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I booked the room over the internet. Because their website says only dogs less then 20 lbs and other websites say pet friendly without any restriction, I called and they say my big dog (labrador) was o.k. So I booked it. I wrote to them to get a written confirmation about bringing my large dog and after they didn't write back I called. Everything was o.k. they said and than about half an hour later I got a mail that the dog would cost normally 10 bucks extra a night - not on any website, definitely not on theirs, when I looked at it, but because I booked for a week they would reduce it to 25 bucks. I didn't like it, but I agreed and told them they should put it on their website. By the way their website is very vague in general, like pet free would apply, but not how much, or not all amenities are not available in all rooms.

When I arrived, so far so good. The rooms are old, my wifi from verizon wireless works not very good here, where to put electric toothbrush, toothpaste, brush etc.....????? No room really for that, not in my room.

I had to cancel part of my time in the motel - personal reasons - and I did it in the morning, instead of the night before. The receptionist (owner???) didn't tell me me that I had to pay for the night, because I didn't tell them the night before. I packed everything and I just went back to give the key (key not key card) back and asked about the refund to make sure I understood right and that's when she told me that I had to pay for that day too. I was furius, but what can I do, pay for a day/night extra or unpack and stay? She didn't care one way or the other. To be honest, the woman in the office was only friendly when I checked in, after she was acting very indifferent. Anyway, I have to stay an other day and I don't like it.
The t.v. is old of course and my remote is the most basic one, I don't have captions on the t.v. and not even numbers so I have to scroll through the channels. Sucks.
I don't recommend this motel, I am glad when I can leave. From now on I stick with Motel 6.

Room Tip: upstairs, than you don't hear them walking around above you. It is really loud.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Karin C
KellyzOregon, Manager at Newport Bay Motel, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
You spoke with a manager at the property regarding your pet prior to arrival and was informed that we do charge a daily fee plus tax or a one time charge depending on the length of your stay. I reaffirmed this issue with you via email stating that on the length of your stay you would be charge just a one time fee for the pet plus tax. In your email you stated that the "pet fee" information was not offered on any sites, as you also stated that you made your reservation through Priceline.com and that you did not see the "pet fee" information there. I have reviewed all the online venues that we work with and each of them state that pets are accepted and that a charge may imply. All of this information is written at the bottom of the reservation page for customers to read and understand.
In regards to you checking what would of been 4 days early. If you had read the policy about modification/cancelation or no-shows you would of understood perhaps more clearly the policy of the property regarding canceling the rest of your stay. I assumed that you had, and perhaps should of reviewed it with you before issuing a refund but again I assume that you had read the terms of the reservation completely and understood. So, I apologize for that and in the future I will review with all the guest that stay here all the policies to which we have so that everyone will not be confused.
As your comment about "bad customer service" I feel is misstated. I believe that you received the best possible customer service while you stayed here at this property and perhaps if you had been more informed about the property policies and the area of Newport your stay would of been more pleasant. I wish you and your bet the best of luck in obtaining a permanent residence and hope that you will find a place that will accept your pet based on their personality and not their size.
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We had planned to drop off the German Shepard Dog that my daughter had raised as a service dog with her forever people on our way to Newport but they weren't ready so we'd had to cancel the reservation I'd made throught Vetern's Advantage because it wasn't pet friendly. We arrived finally in Newport about 4pm and started looking for a Motel that would take a large 9month old puppy. We where turned away from a couple of other Motels. But Newport Bay Motel didn't blink an eye at Our extra guest (the pup).
The staff was friendly and very helpful even recommending a good place for dinner. The room was clean and had a nice view of the Ocean which was only a couple of blocks away. We liked the fact that the owners had key tags that didn't have either the motel name or the actual room number stamped on them but rather the number in a simple substitution code. Important for women traveling alone any more. even thought we knew other guests where on sight it was quiet .

the only real complaint we had was the blanket on the bed appeared to be for a twin rather then the queen it was on so was sideways and short from top to bottom. THe bathroom seemed to have just been remodeled with a tile floor but now heat not even a heat lamp so it was really cold to shower and use in the night.

Over all we where very pleased and will be staying there in the very near future to celebrate both my daughter and her Uncle's birthday.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Nampa, Idaho, United States
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Willers Motel is your basic motel. It was relatively clean...the people were nice..it had a good location to beaches in either direction. The continental breakfast was less than expected. We were told coffee, juice and pastries...ok..that should be fine...it was coffee...juice...and cheese and cracker packs. One day there was fruit...no biggie really. We had a king room with a view of the ocean over the houses behind the hotel. The ocean was about 1/2 mile away but we could hear it fine. There was no power outlet in the bathroom which was weird. All in all it was pretty quiet...basic cable...not bad not great..

Room Tip: IF you do not want a mediocre view of the ocean, dont spend the extra 15 per night for it. Spend the...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
KellyzOregon, Manager at Newport Bay Motel, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Dear Mark, I would like to take a moment to introduce myself , my name is Kelly and along with my husband Steve are currently the new management team for the Willers. Steve and I greatly appreciate your review of our property regarding your stay. Along with your review and reviews from previous guest we will strive to make the necessary changes and/or upgrades to better serve our guest. Again thank you Mark for taking the time of reviewing our property. Steve and I would like for you to stay with us again, should you find yourself passing through Newport.