“Bad Timing?”
Review of Sail Inn Cafe

Sail Inn Cafe
Ranked #82 of 116 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Description: The restaurant just opened in September 2010. phone 541-444-7111 and they do have a web page.
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I don't really like to give bad reviews but this place, we won't go there again. We entered the empty restaurant (two people seated outside on the deck) and we were seated at a dirty, sticky table which was quickly wiped off. It took ten minutes to get the menu--mine was so poorly printed out I had to wait and read my husband's. We ordered the chicken alfredo that came with way too many red and green peppers. We could only eat half. The waitress brought out my Thai tea and spilled it on the table, then went into the back and came out with a paper napkin. There were only two employees at this time that we could see. It was NOT busy. The people that had been eating outside left very soon after we arrived and their dirty dishes sat out there the entire time we were there. Flies everywhere, cobwebs in the windows with lots of flies in them. Sorry, we didn't even leave a tip and won't be back.

3  Thank bl0ndiet

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I was really hoping to like this local spot.. as it seemed family-owned rather than some of the other larger/commercialized restaurants in the area.

Unfortunately, we should have stuck with Local Ocean and dealt with the wait.

The restaurant was fairly empty, even given that it was lunchtime, and the streets were bustling. Red flag number one.

After being seated by a visibly unhappy and sarcastic waitress, it took nearly 20 minutes to just get our drinks out (two people ordered iced-tea.. the rest were just water.. the straws didn't show up until we were ready to pay). Fast forward another 20 minutes and the food was still "on its way." Half the party received the food at once, and the rest of the table sat around waiting for their food to come out.

Mussels were unseasoned, and about $2 each .. more than I would pay at a Pappadeaux or somewhere far more reputable. The chowder tasted, and looked like it came out of a Chunky Soup Can -- it was lukewarm, had no visible veggies, was also tasteless, and came with a few small pieces of clam and potato. The paprika sprinkle was a nice touch .. I guess.

The rest of the party ordered from various parts of the menu .. tacos, fish and chips, tuna sandwich, seafood fried rice .. etc. I did not hear one person express a "yum" or see a single smile at the table while eating. It was quite possibly one of the worst vacation meals I've ever experienced -- and after driving a couple hours from inland, it added insult to injury.

The food was absolutely underwhelming, the wait time was horrendous, and the staff was visibly irritated to have customers in the restaurant.

2  Thank Anthony F
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

This is a great little place that has a very nice view of harbor and is an unbelievable value.

I tried the special fish tacos (hot and tasty with piping hot flower tortillas) along with a local IPA draft for only $13.50 before tip.

The manager is incredibly hard working and very friendly. Try this place, you won't be sorry.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

The cook and owner reminds me of when I lived in Thailand. One person to take the orders, to cook and serve and to run the cash register. For most westerners this might see odd, but I felt right at home. Meals were served in no time.

All the seafood is fresh and can be cooked Oregon or Thai-Style. Non-seafood options too. My favourite was the Yacquina oysters cooked in the wok with bean sprouts and other Asian ingredients. A variety of beverages My treat was Thai iced coffee.

Be flexible with your palate ... and ask about the cook's favourites and be pleasantly surprised. For taste, service and experience, I give this 5-stars.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We ordered a shrimp cocktail. When we got it, the shrimp were tiny salad size and warm , like they'd been microwaved. The crab & shrimp melt was not as listed on the menu-it included mayo which once warmed was not appetizing. My stomach hurt the rest of the night. I would not recommend this place at all.