“Stumbled across this place completely on accident -- glad we did!”
Review of Sandbar & Grill

Sandbar & Grill
Ranked #52 of 114 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We had actually intended to eat at April's, but they were closed on a Monday (for dinner at least), so we wandered around looking for an alternative until we found this place.

Didn't expect much, but we were hungry, and the menu looked decent. Boy, were we surprised! My "Halibut Parmesan" was absolutely delicious (just enough of flavor to complement the fish without overpowering it). The wife's grilled halibut was also tasty. Even on the upstairs patio, the view is not much to look at, as you have rooftops and parking lots in between you and the ocean/beach. So it's a good thing that the food is top-notch (it was very hard to believe we were eating in a so-called "sports bar").

The service was also very good and they have a good selection of local Oregon beer and wine. Overall, a very unexpected treat!

1  Thank ScottV95691

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We wanted an ocean view while dining, so we ended up here. We were the only people in the restaurant and as we'd asked already about the dinner specials, I felt embarrassed about leaving, but the view was partially obscured by the air conditioning unit. The dinner special was halibut which my husband said was very good. I ordered the alfredo, which was a gelatinous mess. The "fresh" salad was fresh out of a bag, complete with desiccated carrot slivers and dried out radishes. The vegetable was canned green beans, I didn't even know people still bought those these days. The prices were probably reasonable for the area, but not for the food quality. Another couple entered the restaurant while we were dining and with only two tables occupied, I would have expected better service from the waiter.

1  Thank Wave R
Reviewed 19 July 2013

It's hard to decide where to start. Very slow service. Dirty. Rundown. Cold food. We were walking down a sidewalk and decided to give this place a try. What a mistake. Should have gone to the place next door, which I was later told, is very good. We sat in the upstairs patio area. We felt ignored for about 15 mintues. We knew that the waitress was inside because we could hear her. When she finally came to our table, she threw a couple menus at us and walked away. She came back, we ordered beer, and it finally arrived 20 minutes later. And it wasn't even the kind of beer that we ordered. The patio area was disgusting. Dirty, trash laying on the floor, rotting boards. This place is really awful. I ordered Clam Chowder. Not much "clam" in it, and it was cold. I also ordered some calamari. I've had better seafood at LongJohn Silver's. This is one place I will NEVER return to.

1  Thank egustafs56
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We came to the restaurant portion of this place by accident and literally from the back door rather than though the frontside bar, probably because we had the kids with us and were looking for food. If you are looking for Michelin Stars, go somewhere else. If you are looking for delicious food to feed the troops in a relaxed place at a very reasonable price, this is it. Service was slower since they had only one server but a couple on the way out whispered that the steak was great and this piqued my interest. I had a boatload of seafood in the past few days and wanted to add some turf to my surf. We ordered one of the steak, the steamer, the seafood chowder, a hamburger and fries for the kids and a shrimp salad. The steak was perfect, the steamer was generous, and the stew was stellar. Even something as simple as fries were done perfectly crisp and golden (it's the little things that count). All in all a simple but well executed meal. This place is about kicking back for a casual meal with great food and making a few friends along the way. If you get uptight about service, decor and fancy stuff, take a pass.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

We went here at the suggestion of a co-worker, BIG MISTAKE! Small place, great view, terrible service. We ate upstairs on the deck with our two children. The waitress was unfriendly and allowed people to smoke even though there was a NO SMOKING sign and children present. After we ordered our food it took 55 minutes to get our food. The waitress dropped it off never to return. No drink refills, no ketchup for fries, no nothing. The "halibut" fish and chips was, I swear, frozen Gordon's fisherman's right out of the freezer case. Only one side was cooked crispy, the other side was soggy. The fries were cold. My daughter ordered chicken Alfredo that was swimming in sauce and had only a cup of noodles. My prime rib tasted like dry over cooked roast beef. Nothing was hot when it came to the table. 30 minutes after getting our food I called on the phone downstairs to request our waitress to bring our check. I guess we will cross this place off our list. To bad, we are locals here and word of mouth is always the best advertisement. The only thing I can say is WALK PAST THIS PLACE.

1  Thank culpepperbaker