“I'd give it 6 stars if I could”
Review of Sandbar & Grill

Sandbar & Grill
Ranked #52 of 115 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Absolutely fantastic food! Put your snooty side away and come taste some of the best seafood ever! Actually maybe I don't want you too.....cause then I will enjoy it for what it is and not what YOU would turn it in to!! Fabulous food, awesome view and an excellent waitress ( Darby ). We think it was one of our best stops yet!! A special "thank you!" to Debie at The Whaler who recommended the place!!

2  Thank Gretchen D

Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went here on the recommendation of the desk clerk at our motel. This was by far the best meal on our road trip from Santa Cruz CA to Portland OR. It feels like a little sticky floor local bar but upstairs you will find a more suiting dining room. Everything was fresh and well prepared. Even the green beans which at first glance looked to be canned, but let me assure you they are not! Our server Darby was fantastic. Don't miss the Ahi Tuna or the Fish and Chips, or the Scampi.....

1  Thank Frank P
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We had actually intended to eat at April's, but they were closed on a Monday (for dinner at least), so we wandered around looking for an alternative until we found this place.

Didn't expect much, but we were hungry, and the menu looked decent. Boy, were we surprised! My "Halibut Parmesan" was absolutely delicious (just enough of flavor to complement the fish without overpowering it). The wife's grilled halibut was also tasty. Even on the upstairs patio, the view is not much to look at, as you have rooftops and parking lots in between you and the ocean/beach. So it's a good thing that the food is top-notch (it was very hard to believe we were eating in a so-called "sports bar").

The service was also very good and they have a good selection of local Oregon beer and wine. Overall, a very unexpected treat!

1  Thank ScottV95691
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We wanted an ocean view while dining, so we ended up here. We were the only people in the restaurant and as we'd asked already about the dinner specials, I felt embarrassed about leaving, but the view was partially obscured by the air conditioning unit. The dinner special was halibut which my husband said was very good. I ordered the alfredo, which was a gelatinous mess. The "fresh" salad was fresh out of a bag, complete with desiccated carrot slivers and dried out radishes. The vegetable was canned green beans, I didn't even know people still bought those these days. The prices were probably reasonable for the area, but not for the food quality. Another couple entered the restaurant while we were dining and with only two tables occupied, I would have expected better service from the waiter.

1  Thank Wave R
Reviewed 19 July 2013

It's hard to decide where to start. Very slow service. Dirty. Rundown. Cold food. We were walking down a sidewalk and decided to give this place a try. What a mistake. Should have gone to the place next door, which I was later told, is very good. We sat in the upstairs patio area. We felt ignored for about 15 mintues. We knew that the waitress was inside because we could hear her. When she finally came to our table, she threw a couple menus at us and walked away. She came back, we ordered beer, and it finally arrived 20 minutes later. And it wasn't even the kind of beer that we ordered. The patio area was disgusting. Dirty, trash laying on the floor, rotting boards. This place is really awful. I ordered Clam Chowder. Not much "clam" in it, and it was cold. I also ordered some calamari. I've had better seafood at LongJohn Silver's. This is one place I will NEVER return to.

1  Thank egustafs56