“Not considerate to those who don't smoke”
Review of Sandbar & Grill

Sandbar & Grill
Ranked #54 of 111 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Beaverton, Oregon
“Not considerate to those who don't smoke”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We were in the bar/lounge, not the restaurant.

We can here to watch a local college football team on their TVs. The door was propped open since it was a nicer day, but every-time a smoker went outside to light up, their smoke would be blown indoors. When we asked the managers to close the door, they told us the whole room would "suffocate"; they did close the door, then re-opened it about 10 minutes later, letting smoke in again.
My wife & I wanted to split our tab on two different credit cards, but the bar staff couldn't figure out how to complete that simple task. They had the "game" on 3 screens, but it was hard to hear over the 1 speaker they seemed to have.
The (hard) apple cider was reasonably priced. The garlic bread was mediocre at best. The mozzarella sticks were 'standard'.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Philip H

“I'd give it 6 stars if I could”
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

Absolutely fantastic food! Put your snooty side away and come taste some of the best seafood ever! Actually maybe I don't want you too.....cause then I will enjoy it for what it is and not what YOU would turn it in to!! Fabulous food, awesome view and an excellent waitress ( Darby ). We think it was one of our best stops yet!! A special "thank you!" to Debie at The Whaler who recommended the place!!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Gretchen D
Eagleville, Pennsylvania
“A hidden gem!”
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went here on the recommendation of the desk clerk at our motel. This was by far the best meal on our road trip from Santa Cruz CA to Portland OR. It feels like a little sticky floor local bar but upstairs you will find a more suiting dining room. Everything was fresh and well prepared. Even the green beans which at first glance looked to be canned, but let me assure you they are not! Our server Darby was fantastic. Don't miss the Ahi Tuna or the Fish and Chips, or the Scampi.....

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Frank P
Sacramento, California
“Stumbled across this place completely on accident -- glad we did!”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We had actually intended to eat at April's, but they were closed on a Monday (for dinner at least), so we wandered around looking for an alternative until we found this place.

Didn't expect much, but we were hungry, and the menu looked decent. Boy, were we surprised! My "Halibut Parmesan" was absolutely delicious (just enough of flavor to complement the fish without overpowering it). The wife's grilled halibut was also tasty. Even on the upstairs patio, the view is not much to look at, as you have rooftops and parking lots in between you and the ocean/beach. So it's a good thing that the food is top-notch (it was very hard to believe we were eating in a so-called "sports bar").

The service was also very good and they have a good selection of local Oregon beer and wine. Overall, a very unexpected treat!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank ScottV95691
Kenmore, Washington
“Don't bother”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We wanted an ocean view while dining, so we ended up here. We were the only people in the restaurant and as we'd asked already about the dinner specials, I felt embarrassed about leaving, but the view was partially obscured by the air conditioning unit. The dinner special was halibut which my husband said was very good. I ordered the alfredo, which was a gelatinous mess. The "fresh" salad was fresh out of a bag, complete with desiccated carrot slivers and dried out radishes. The vegetable was canned green beans, I didn't even know people still bought those these days. The prices were probably reasonable for the area, but not for the food quality. Another couple entered the restaurant while we were dining and with only two tables occupied, I would have expected better service from the waiter.

• Visited June 2013