Best Western Plus Agate Beach Inn
Agate Beach Motel(Newport)
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
1,443 results
All reviewsstarfish grillocean viewbest westernsoregon coasthotel restaurantparking lotsand dunesgreat viewshort walk to the beachsmall balconyrooms are niceyaquina lighthousewould stay here againpool and hot tubsliding doorgreat place to stayeasy access
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 September 2011

If I had paid the rack rate for this room I would have been very unhappy. Even the extremely good rate from Groupon, I wouldn't go there again, and it was almost free. The room was very small with a low ceiling, it felt very much like a box. The furniture was old and looked plastic. The view was great but the windows were so filmed that you had to open the door to see out. The microwave is probably one of the first ever made. The bathroom door almost hit the toilet and when you switch the water from tub to shower, it came out lukewarm at most. The food took forever to appear, we waited 45 minutes for a rueben sandwich. The access to the beach is down the hill, across the street and over a water hazard. Not coming back here again with so many other nicer places to stay for much less.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karen S
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Plus Agate Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2011

I do appreciate your review and I am very sorry that your experience with us was not good! Unfortunatly some of our rooms do seem small while other seem bigger. I just want to apologize for your dissapointing stay!

Reviewed 15 September 2011

I had previously stayed at this Best Western with my family a few times and always enjoyed our stay. As I have before I booked this room online and we really looked forward to our stay.

We had reservations for 3 nights and pre-paid $572. Upon arrival we were given a room with a parking lot view and told that it was a ocean view. The room was also small and looked nothing like rooms we'd had previously or that were shown online. The final straw was that it was at the end of the hall right next to the door to the humid, heated pool.

The front desk wasn't that concerned when I voiced my concerns and didn't seem to care when I returned to the desk and told them I was moving to another hotel. The real test will be how hard it is to get my money back.

In my opinion the Hallmark is far superior at a better price for a family and the Elizabeth Street in is much, much better for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank WorkmanFamily

I am very sorry that your room was not what was expected. You mentioned you had stayed with us before and that you had a good experience, I do hope that you asked to be moved and if that wasn't an option because we were full I do apologize. I hope that you were able to get your money refunded and if not please let me know and I will help in way I can. I do hope that you will come back and give us another try. Thank you!

Reviewed 15 September 2011

Needed a hotel for the night, booked thru AMX. The King Suite is no larger than a regular room, smaller than the similar option at HIE. The delineation 'wuite' is deceptive. No sofa or even comfortable chairs. Small cushioned chairs ... no place to put your feet up. The 'balcony' is a standing review stand, no room for a chair ... don't expect a cup of coffee and a sunset view, or a quiet balcony moment in the AM. 'Balcony' as 'suite' is deceptive sales language. Older TV - no flat screen. Clean but dated rooms. The view and beach location is the only redeemptive feature, however, be careful. Some rooms align with a 90 degree wall and offer a limited sight view. Overpriced. Not again ...

Room Tip: Be careful ... they impose a 48 hour ... 2 day cancellation rate. When you arrive, you are stuck with a 2-day whether you stay or not ... Rooms on the beach side, to the north, near the elevator, have a more limited view ...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Gloria R

I am very sorry to hear about your experience with your stay. Our verbage does say that our balconies are step out, I do apologize for your dissapointment. Even though we have a cancellation policy, We would certainly never hold your money if you decided not to stay! We should be getting our new flat screen TVs sometime this winter which we are excited about. Again I just want to apologize for your dissapointment! Thank you!

Reviewed 12 September 2011

This is an older property, probably 30 + years old, which has had some renovation. The "back" of the building faces the ocean, and the front faces the hills AND Highway 101, which can be a bit noisy (although there are some trees for buffer). The rooms are adequate and clean, even though they do accept dogs in certain rooms. The staff was friendly and the restaurant was surprisingly good. They do not have complementary breakfast, because of their restaurant on site.

Be aware if coming to the coast in the summer that if it is hot in the Portland/Salem area, it can be quite cool on the coast. There was a 35-degree difference between Newport and Salem the days we were there, and it was hard to see the ocean at times due to fog.

Do go to the Oregon Coast Acquarium, do take a stroll on the broad beach at the hotel, and do shop in the Bay (very touristy but fun) and Nye Beach areas.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vintagemary67
Judy K, General Manager at Best Western Plus Agate Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

We are a older hotel and are slowly working on upgrades to our property, I do wish all of our rooms were ocean view as it is really pretty, Thank you for writing your review and hope to see you again and watch for some upgrades to take place this fall.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel on August 27,2011. Upon checking in at 3 p.m., I asked the clerk for a high room that was quiet. She said all the rooms were already assigned. I nicely said ok, I thought I would ask. And after I was polite, she said to me "let me see what I can do". Well, she ended up moving us from a room on the bottom floor (near the elevator and the ice machine) to a floor in the middle of the 6th floor! I was so grateful because it was quiet and the view of the ocean and the lighthouse was amazing! The best was super comfortable. The bathroom is a little small but everything was very clean. We purchased this as a groupon special and are very happy that we did! I would return here again and look forward to visiting newport in the future. Thanks for the wonderful experience!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

It is great to hear that our front desk clerk helped you with your wishes. It is amazing how little things make all the difference in a stay at a hotel. Thank you for taking the time to write your review and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon!